• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Isnt M 5As All Black eligible and in a position where the Wallabies actually have depth. Hes certainly not as good as his brother and Tupou has years left at the top.

Stay home and get the odd squad spot or move and have a crack at the All Blacks?
Didn't 5 As play for Samoa in the last WC?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Couple of points but some players just develop and mature with age and in different situations. I would say that Mitre 10 Cup opportunity has more to do with it than anything else
- Ta'avao played 50 odd games for the Blues before coming to the Tahs and if the Chiefs hadn't had six frontrow injuries in 2018 Ta'avao wouldn't have been called in.
- Debrezceni currently no super rugby contract
- Nadolo also played in England, France and Japan before the Crusaders.
- Ala'alatoa moved to NZ at 23 to play Mitre 10. Looking for a level above NRC. Most props develop a little later.

I agree. It is the quality of the NZ second tier which is a major factor and yes you are right that age and experience can be a factor also. That said, I would still contend that some of the processes and systems around the NZ teams has tended to make some players look better as has some of the cultural elements. Players going to or leaving the Crusader system for example have noted the mentality of individuals in that team vs. in other teams. The extra work and desire for self improvement that wasn't as apparent in other clubs.

Debrezceni had a contract in Japan last I heard. I seem to remember him getting injured with impacted his season in Super Rugby after a pretty good start.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Surely Michael Ala'alatoa should be refereed to as 6As, count 'em. Played with 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa), Scott Sio and my son since under 9s in the mighty prop factory at Wests Junior Rugby.

Lindommer junior wasn't a prop.

Gee they have produced some big, mobile packs in recent seasons, gave the Woodies plenty of spankings.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Interesting story by Tom Decent in the SMH about Tahs backs doing video review of older matches on Zoom, plus a couple of videos from the Zoom call on Twitter. Probably pretty standard stuff, but good to see the Tahs showing some real behind-the-scenes stuff in the media.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A compromise on the pay deal may be close:
The Waratahs have backed away from threats to immediately stand down players after Rugby Australia and RUPA agreed to resume their talks on reaching a deal on pay cuts.
The Waratahs will receive their full monthly salaries on Thursday but deductions will be made to future payments to square the ledger when an agreement is finally reached on how big the cuts will be. (The Australian)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Beale gone

Racing 92 have today confirmed the arrival of veteran Wallaby utility back Kurtley Beale following months of reports.
In a video shared on their official Twitter account discussing their plans for the following season, Laurent Travers (General Manager of Rugby) accompanied by Yannick Nyanga (Sports Director) and Christophe Mombet (High Level Manager) confirmed that Beale will join the club in an undisclosed deal alongside fellow Wallabies man Luke Jones.
31-year-old Beale is currently contracted to the Waratahs whom he joined after a stint in 2016/17 with Wasps, and had revealed that he only penned a deal until the end of the 2020 Super Rugby season due to the uncertainty of the new Wallabies head coach.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/racing-92-confirm-kurtley-beale's-arrival/627108#

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
How close was Will Harris to getting a go in the early few rounds? Harry Wilson spoke on the Sideline experts podcasts the other day that he's probably the most talented u20's player who didn't get a crack so far.

Also how tall is he? Could he be moved into the second row per chance?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How close was Will Harris to getting a go in the early few rounds? Harry Wilson spoke on the Sideline experts podcasts the other day that he's probably the most talented u20's player who didn't get a crack so far.

Also how tall is he? Could he be moved into the second row per chance?

He had to be pretty close. I would have picked him based on his form for the B side.

He's probably not quite tall enough for lock. Pat Tafa is preferred there. Will Harris is listed as 1.94m.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, it's sad to see Beale go - I hope we have a chance to properly farewell him on the paddock this year before he goes.

He's been a lightning rod for criticism all his career, but he'll always be one of my all-time favourite players - the speed, the feet, the obvious joy in the game when he's at his best.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes, it's sad to see Beale go - I hope we have a chance to properly farewell him on the paddock this year before he goes.

He's been a lightning rod for criticism all his career, but he'll always be one of my all-time favourite players - the speed, the feet, the obvious joy in the game when he's at his best.

I can completely respect this. It isn't the way he impacts me but I would be pleased to be able ti see him off and wish the guy well. We should always treat the servants of our game well during these transitions.