• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Let’s hope so. He’s had so many injury disruption I’m not sure he’s ever really had a decent run uninjured.

It wasn’t that long ago that I thought Slipper’s best was behind him and injuries had cruelled his chances of really fulfilling his best. I have always wondered whether it was Thorn standing him down that allowed Slipper to get his body right and now he is killing it.

Hopefully for Dempsey it is also a matter of just really getting his body right.

As an aside though, I would still like to see Harris given a crack at 8 with Dempsey at 6.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The extra down time caused by lockdowns may be ideal for him, if his injury was a long term problem.

I was kind of thinking the same.. though with some recovery there does come a point where there is more value in getting stuck back in. Not a lot of game time for Dempsey over the last couple of years.

Someone who this pause may have helped is Hanigan. He really seemed to have taken a set back with that injury/concussion concerns earlier this year. Whilst there were some fair questions over his Gold performances at times I always felt he was a decent Super Rugby player and was missed in the squad earlier this year. Still very much a young man at 25 too.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was kind of thinking the same.. though with some recovery there does come a point where there is more value in getting stuck back in. Not a lot of game time for Dempsey over the last couple of years.

Someone who this pause may have helped is Hanigan. He really seemed to have taken a set back with that injury/concussion concerns earlier this year. Whilst there were some fair questions over his Gold performances at times I always felt he was a decent Super Rugby player and was missed in the squad earlier this year. Still very much a young man at 25 too.
It seems like he was putting on weight too. Good for the impact zone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As an aside though, I would still like to see Harris given a crack at 8 with Dempsey at 6.

This is what I'd like to see.

Dempsey isn't providing enough of a physical presence at 8 and realistically I think is best suited to playing 6. He's a difficult one for the Tahs. He should be one of our best players but he's not really showing that (albeit he has had a horrible run with injuries). We either need to slot him into a position where he can consistently be a top end Super Rugby player or move him on.

If that doesn't work out then Hanigan at 6, Harris at 8 and Hooper at 7. We can then promote to wrestling fans saying that Triple H will be making an appearance in the backrow.

I'm really not sold on Swinton. He's physical and abrasive but I just don't think his skill level is good enough to get to the level we need him at.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Harris was preferred to Wilson at No 8 for the U20s. Wilson has proved to be Super-ready. I see no reason why Harris shouldn't also be ready and why he shouldn't take the starting No 8 spot.

that's a stretch and a half. Like saying Hooper was preferred at 7 over Pocock. Both were wanted in the team and only one was versatile enough to play another position that suited the team.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Buzz off Reg. I heard Harris was described by many insiders as 'a thousand times better than Wilson' and 'guaranteed to be one of our greatest ever Wallabies, certainly greater than Harry Wilson who won't amount to anything'.

He will lead us to glory, probably not this season but definitely next season.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Buzz off Reg. I heard Harris was described by many insiders as 'a thousand times better than Wilson' and 'guaranteed to be one of our greatest ever Wallabies, certainly greater than Harry Wilson who won't amount to anything'.

He will lead us to glory, probably not this season but definitely next season.

That's a very specific series of quotes to have heard from 'many insiders'

But Yes Harris will be good. Perhaps he should come to the Reds where he and Wilson can be reunited as a 6/8 combo?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That's a very specific series of quotes to have heard from 'many insiders'

But Yes Harris will be good. Perhaps he should come to the Reds where he and Wilson can be reunited as a 6/8 combo?

The very same insider said to me 'Harris should never come to the Reds as it will drag his game into the mud playing alongside a two-bit plodder like Wilson.'

What fascinating insight.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
The Waratahs problem is that we have too many mobile, lightweight backrowers, and our locks aren't that big and abrasive either. What we need is another Wycliff Palu.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
that's a stretch and a half. Like saying Hooper was preferred at 7 over Pocock. Both were wanted in the team and only one was versatile enough to play another position that suited the team.

Reg, maybe I should have said "favoured" rather than preferred. Favoured, for whatever reason, and I accept your explanation. My point really was to say that Harris should be ready right now for SRAu.