• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tepai has had a few concussion and other injury problems in League that have stilted his career. I watched him off the bench when Parramatta beat Canberra in Darwin a couple of weeks ago and he was carrying very strongly and getting through a lot of work around the park. I’d like to see him at inside centre for the Tahs. It’s been a while since we’ve had a big bollocking centre that can get us over the gain line early and will help us shift away from this lightweight, mobile setup which has now been worked out.

Despite the injuries he has still played 100 first grade games and is only 23 - so, so far he has demonstrated a good load of durability

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Despite the injuries he has still played 100 first grade games and is only 23 - so, so far he has demonstrated a good load of durability
Is he actually any good, though? Never seen him play but...... bench player for a shit League team doesn't excite me terribly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is he actually any good, though? Never seen him play but.. bench player for a shit League team doesn't excite me terribly.

Yeah, he is good, he is a edge back rower in the NRL, that is a good facsimile of a crash ball 12. Strong defender, strong runner and can pass.

Add to that he was a very good Aus Schools 12 - he is a good purchase.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Parra are actually pretty good this year and being a bench forward in League is a bit different than in Union because with interchanges you might start a very good player from the bench in order to bring them on when the opposition have softened.

I don’t like to get into the comparison between League and Union too much but I’d say there are a number of 100kg+ NRL players who have the athleticism to make it as a centre of backrower in Union even though they might not be dominating at NRL level.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
If I was Scott Wisemantel I'd be pretty annoyed that management are trying to be heroes by recruiting these speculatives.

Definitely don't need McGahan.

Moeroa will take awhile. This is where Gibson's Karmichael year will hurt long-term because the players already at the Tahs have just started to get used to Karmichael and then he's gone after 1 year and a totally new guy comes into the midfield.

Would have been better served just keeping as similar as possible list to this year (just keep the workmanlike forwards) and then try and add in one or two big fish outside backs to be the difference like Taqele was in 2018.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^
Taqele was struggling to make reserve grade when he came from the Tigers to the Tahs. The current setup is broken and some of our most experienced players are leaving. Time to start again with a new coach and a new looking player group, going with the same workmanlike forwards is madness.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
On the other hand, Timana Tahu was a star in the other code. Struggled in ours, sadly.
I wouldnt say struggled, he wasn't a superstar but he did play for the wallabies. also for the Tahs.. But I get what you mean. I wouldnt have said he was a massive star in league either.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^
Taqele was struggling to make reserve grade when he came from the Tigers to the Tahs. The current setup is broken and some of our most experienced players are leaving. Time to start again with a new coach and a new looking player group, going with the same workmanlike forwards is madness.
Yeah we need some grunt, for sure. The decline from 2015 to 2019 has been stark and has coincided with a loss of the majority of our big boppers. Palu, Jackpot, Skelton, TPN, Dennis etc.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A few rumours circling that Crichton might be moving back to Union. I think he’s still got a year on his Roosters contract but I assume they’d be happy to release him given he’s on quite a substantial sum (about a mill, I think). His form has gone off since he left Souths and he’s now coming off the bench for the Chooks but would still be a very good signing for the Tahs or any Australian club.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A few rumours circling that Crichton might be moving back to Union. I think he’s still got a year on his Roosters contract but I assume they’d be happy to release him given he’s on quite a substantial sum (about a mill, I think). His form has gone off since he left Souths and he’s now coming off the bench for the Chooks but would still be a very good signing for the Tahs or any Australian club.
Can we afford that salary?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

I would be a great play to help sign Maddocks too.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Angus Ta’avao starting as tighthead for All Blacks this weekend. When he was the tahs he was struggling to get a regular spot on the Tahs bench. What does this says about the Tahs coaching and player development capabilities? Probably just what many speculate and think which is not much and the lack of ability to attract quality players compared to say the Brumbies to me again says something not right in Tah land. Just my postulings...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He was pretty average at the club level, frankly.

I think most of us understand that New Zealand coaches and coaching structures are far better than ours. Nothing to see here, move on please.