• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
You need a new joke! That one's been used to death!:D

But in all seriousness, he understands attacking play / lines etc better than most, and was a prodigious kicker of the ball. It beggars belief that his potential input goes by the wayside. It's a real pity.

I'll tackle that task straight away.....sorry

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would have been good to have Campo involved but there's no way he could be head coach. The role involves too much administration and off field management that Campo has no experience with.

He'd have been great as an assistant or consultant but I also expect he wasn't interested in that.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
"Former Canterbury coach Rob Penney is reportedly the front-runner to become the new NSW Waratahs head coach.​
The Daily Telegraph in Australia reported that Penney and former Melbourne Rebels coach Damian Hill are the two remaining candidates.​
If Penney does get the Super Rugby job, he would replace another Kiwi in the role after Daryl Gibson quit in June while still having another year left to run on his contract."​

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Can't see Campo being of any value. One of the all time great players, but as a bloke almost universally disliked by the blokes who played with him. Had a night on the turps with a fair group of them a couple of years ago, the opinion was almost universal. It's hard to see him galvanising a group of players to go to the trenches for him, regardless of his knowledge of how to play the game.
I also agree with an earlier poster, those freakishly talented players, not just in rugby but in many sports, often don't make great coaches because the game was just so natural for them, they find it very difficult to teach to less naturaly talented individuals.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have heard (on here I think) that he is runs very good coaching sessions and his insight into the game is first rate.

That’s not to say he is at all suitable as a head coach, and may not even mean he is suitable in a full time role but, if true, it would be nice to see him used somewhere.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
"Former Canterbury coach Rob Penney is reportedly the front-runner to become the new NSW Waratahs head coach.

The Daily Telegraph in Australia reported that Penney and former Melbourne Rebels coach Damian Hill are the two remaining candidates.

If Penney does get the Super Rugby job, he would replace another Kiwi in the role after Daryl Gibson quit in June while still having another year left to run on his contract."

Happy to see Penny have a go

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If they can sign him, I'd be going all in. He's a rare talent and a bone fide crowd puller[/quote

Losing Kepu, Phipps, Foley, Hunt, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not only clears up cash (Though i know Hunt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) weren't THAT expensive), but highlights need for strike power and star power. Semi would be an epic choice at 13 if Foketi can do 12.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Any more rumours on the player signing front? So many players are leaving and the recruitment cupboards looking bare again and with most of the talent getting signed up elsewhere seems Tahs might be going for the scraps again.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm really concerned, all the other teams seem to be making inroads yet we still do have a coach, I am not going to bag the Shute Shield but from what I saw at the semis there is not much out there, where are these players going to come from?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2019%E2%80%9320_Super_Rugby_transfers

The list of departures in experience is scary enough but the list of signings so far is even scarier.

Hopefully some decent signings have already been made just not yet announced

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Tahs must have money in the cap to spend so start spending it. Big go forward enforcing players are needed ASAP.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Skelton is going to come home it would seem like 2022 after this contract ends with a run at the 2023 RWC would be the wisest move.