• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry mate, that meant to say anointed not annoyed!

Ah. Yeah. I'm not sure on that one either. Sure he did well in the Shute Shield and people seemed to rate him for what he'd done, seemed a real players coach, well liked, and then had the Australian under-20s (though I can't recall off top of head how they went that year - 2017?) but in terms of bredth of experience compared to other headcoaches in Super Rugby I didn't see how he was ready for the jump up yet.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I always felt it was fairly bizarre that Cron was the anoited one (edit, not annoyed one!) based on how his forwards have gone for the last couple of years.

Johnson-Holmes?
Simmons? - career over in 2017 to making the World Cup and played very well v Georgia on Friday by the way.

He has done a lot of good with the forwards, especially compared to Gibson and his development of the backs. Tell me who else has primarily developed Angus Bell, Will Harris, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Pat Tafa, Hanigan and Dempsey over the last few years?

We will see how much fruit other clubs enjoy from Latu, Miller, Wells, Vui etc. next year. Brumbies seem to like Cron's development of players signing Simone, Miller and Vui. Wouldn't be surprised if Miller ends up captaining the Brumbies one day.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Johnson-Holmes?
Simmons? - career over in 2017 to making the World Cup and played very well v Georgia on Friday by the way.

He has done a lot of good with the forwards, especially compared to Gibson and his development of the backs. Tell me who else has primarily developed Angus Bell, Will Harris, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Pat Tafa, Hanigan and Dempsey over the last few years?

We will see how much fruit other clubs enjoy from Latu, Miller, Wells, Vui etc. next year. Brumbies seem to like Cron's development of players signing Simone, Miller and Vui. Wouldn't be surprised if Miller ends up captaining the Brumbies one day.

Fair perspective. Not sure Gibson should be the litmus test for a head coach though. Did you feel Cron was ready to be HC?

Also I think you might find there are a number of coaches or individuals involved in the development of some of the players you listed such that it'd be hard to say without being closer to things which maybe you are. I mean Latu for example wasn't even played for large chunks (even outside his transgressions) and from all reports had his captain assisting with his development (line out work). I'm not sure he is an example of someone who flourished under Cron, though maybe it was more Gibson? like I said I'm not close enough to know, but he's seemed to improve in Gold over Blue. The ones that came across from Norths absolutely.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Johnson-Holmes?

To start with, Simmons was the starting lock for the end of year tour in 2017.

But you're kind of proving my point here. There's nothing relatively outstanding there. He's done a job, he's probably going to be an excellent head coach one day, but if your HC application starts with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (fine player he is) for mine there's a bit more work and success required to be a leading candidate as head coach for the Waratahs.

Edit, to labour the point, thought Thorn was a terrible appointment at the Reds by the same criteria. Two mediocre years while he learned how to be a head coach later.....

Reactions: dru

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I always felt it was fairly bizarre that Cron was the anoited one (edit, not annoyed one!) based on how his forwards have gone for the last couple of years.

The scrum and lineout managed to do well despite the handicaps of Gibson and his light and mobile pack. The forwards problems lay in recruitment which was under the same stupid pointless idea of Gibson having the pack being light and mobile. That is not Cron's fault. That is on Gibson.

The new coach has already seen this as a weakness something Gibson refused to see.

Cron managed to make the Forwards play above their weight but you can only do so much when the head coach was hindering you.

Do I think that he was ready to take over? No idea. Will he benefit from getting more experience overseas? For sure.

He did his job well at the Tahs with what he had to work with.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree a bit over the top from me not knowing other coaches involved etc. but I do believe that it is a huge mistake to not have him as Head Coach right now. Very enthusiastic, more outgoing and genuinely has skin in the game in Australia as lived in Sydney for nearly 15 years it seems. Thorn doing a great job at Reds with his passion for maroon and love of Queensland, need similar at the Tahs.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The forwards problems lay in recruitment which was under the same stupid pointless idea of Gibson having the pack being light and mobile.

Agree on the recruitment issue, but was a light and mobile forward pack really a specific plan or just a byproduct of the players available? not to mention large salaries tied up with certain players must of had an impact on the overall roster.

Did we have any bigger forwards knocking the door down? Hard to think of any, offhand.

I was thinking similar. All the ones you'd want were tied up elsewhere. I was hoping they would have tried for Slipper when he made the move south.

Do I think that he was ready to take over? No idea. Will he benefit from getting more experience overseas? For sure.

That's my thoughts also. Working and learning under Hansen can only be good for Cron's overall development and learning as a coach.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree a bit over the top from me not knowing other coaches involved etc. but I do believe that it is a huge mistake to not have him as Head Coach right now. Very enthusiastic, more outgoing and genuinely has skin in the game in Australia as lived in Sydney for nearly 15 years it seems. Thorn doing a great job at Reds with his passion for maroon and love of Queensland, need similar at the Tahs.

I agree on the local aspect and having a strong connection to clubland. Don't get me wrong I like the guy and loved what he did at Norths and he's always come across as a strong observer of the game when ever I've heard him speak. Maybe he'll boomarang back better for his experience, just the same way Larkham's time in Munster will probably do him good.

Thorn I like his cultural stance and I think he comes across as a good player motivator with a distinct style. As a smart tactical observer of the game I think I'd take Cron anyday. I still have question marks over Thorn here and think people like Jim McKay were really needed to plug some of those shortcomings.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree on the recruitment issue, but was a light and mobile forward pack really a specific plan or just a byproduct of the players available? not to mention large salaries tied up with certain players must of had an impact on the overall roster.

I was thinking similar. All the ones you'd want were tied up elsewhere. I was hoping they would have tried for Slipper when he made the move south.

That's my thoughts also. Working and learning under Hansen can only be good for Cron's overall development and learning as a coach.

Gibson's game plan was light and mobile pack.

There are player's across the country how is it other teams get big forwards and the Tahs never did? Simple Gibson didn't want them.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Gibson's game plan was light and mobile pack.

There are player's across the country how is it other teams get big forwards and the Tahs never did? Simple Gibson didn't want them.

Well if that is the reality, I agree with the assessment that Gibson's approach didn't work here. At the end of the day as you say Gibson had the casting vote on recruitment so the good or bad aspects of the roster and recruitment rests with him.

Like I said earlier, I'm happy to see a change and optimistic and hopeful about the potential of a young roster of players coming through.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well if that is the reality, I agree with the assessment that Gibson's approach didn't work here. At the end of the day as you say Gibson had the casting vote on recruitment so the good or bad aspects of the roster and recruitment rests with him.

Like I said earlier, I'm happy to see a change and optimistic and hopeful about the potential of a young roster of players coming through.
I am too, but it will take a couple of years. 2022/23 will be our time, which will also provide good entertainment re certain people getting all irate about the over representation of Waratahs in the Wallabies RWC squad haha

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Waratahs have contracted a record 12 players from the Junior Wallabies squad that finished runners-up in this year's U20s World Championship.

from the Gee Rob article. Interesting record. Interested to know who held the previous record.