• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Are the Waratahs going to rest their Wallabies, if Gibson thought it was a shit idea then why did he agree to do it in the first place?

Gibson has had all year to rest the wallabies players like all other Australian teams. It should have been done well and truly before the last game of the season. The problem seems to be that when he rested players against the sunwolves and lost he has panicked and refused to rest any more.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s now almost got to the point where it’s in the Rebels interest for him to play his best side to deprive the highlanders points. What a selfish and ridiculous situation. It just doubles down on everyone outside Sydney’s suspicion of NSW rugby been a rule under itself.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This week obviously. I don't think he had much choice really

Surely, there is still a mathematical chance of the Tahs making the finals.

Cannot overtake the Lions or any above them, but if the Stormers beat the Sharks, the Tahs have a win with a bonus point and the Highlanders and Rebels draw, then I think the Tahs scrape into 8th. Resting the Wallabies then has some doubt attached to it.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Gibson has had all year to rest the wallabies players like all other Australian teams. It should have been done well and truly before the last game of the season. The problem seems to be that when he rested players against the sunwolves and lost he has panicked and refused to rest any more.

Don't forget he has been resting one every week.

That would have made it just a bit harder

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I understand that everybody was supposed to be bound by the same rules and that the Tahs will cop flack if they don’t abide by the same agreement, but personally if they are a chance to play finals then I hope they play their full strength team.

Having said that, I hope nothing happens to Hooper and he is the one Tahs player who we can’t afford to lose right now.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fox News Reporting that the Tahs are resting quite a few players for last round.

Must have seen the potential backlash that could come if they didn’t announce this ASAP.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Surely, there is still a mathematical chance of the Tahs making the finals.

Cannot overtake the Lions or any above them, but if the Stormers beat the Sharks, the Tahs have a win with a bonus point and the Highlanders and Rebels draw, then I think the Tahs scrape into 8th. Resting the Wallabies then has some doubt attached to it.

Except the Highlanders are playing the Tahs, the Rebels playing the Chiefs, so no, your conspiracy theory does not work.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Fox News Reporting that the Tahs are resting quite a few players for last round.

Must have seen the potential backlash that could come if they didn’t announce this ASAP.
When they were criticised for standing players down early the response was that it was essential to Wallaby’s success at RWC. So they sort of had to.

Note that I’ve always thought it was a dumb idea, but they’re stuck with it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think the last page or so is about 2019. We all must have entered a public holiday twilight zone and come out in 2020.:)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Except the Highlanders are playing the Tahs, the Rebels playing the Chiefs, so no, your conspiracy theory does not work.

I admit my error, but the contention remains true for the Rebels and Chiefs game ending in a draw. Not to put a too fine point, or scalpel, on it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’m glad you took the time to go through things. I got a headache when I read it and gave up

It is now accepted that the Tahs still have a mathematical chance of making the finals if results go their way. If the intracacies are too much for you to get your head around, just accept it and try not to worry too much.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It is now accepted that the Tahs still have a mathematical chance of making the finals if results go their way. If the intracacies are too much for you to get your head around, just accept it and try not to worry too much.

It is mathematically possible. If all the planets aligned for it to occur, there might be an inquiry into how! ;)