• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nah I’m not.. Throw in the No.8 and you have the complete spine of the team, however they Tahs didn’t lose their No.8

Fitzpatrick started the bulk of the games at hooker, Gordon started a bunch of games and Folau was gone halfway through the season (although to start the season at least, it won't be Beale playing fullback).

I'm a bit more upbeat on the Tahs chances this year. We've certainly lost a bunch of players but so has every Australian team. I think the Brumbies are favourites again in the Australian conference and I'm unsure about the Reds. They have a huge amount of young talent but they're yet to put it together on the field. This is the season where Thorn has to show as coach that he can get this team playing winning rugby. The forward pack in particular needs to be a lot more dynamic than it was last year.

I think the Rebels probably have less expectation on them this year having lost a few players however they are every chance in the conference too. I think their front row is their biggest weakness to overcome.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the Rebels probably have less expectation on them this year having lost a few players however they are every chance in the conference too. I think their front row is their biggest weakness to overcome.

If the Rebels couldn't win last year with the team they fielded, it's hard to see them topping the table this year.

It's really even this year and a lot of it may come down to coaching, injuries and the emergence of young talent. If a few close games go our way early in the season it may spur us to a finish in the top 6-8. But if we lose a key player we may struggle to crack the top 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
(though not if they play KB (Kurtley Beale) at 5/8).

So much negativity regarding the Tahs playing KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10.

He's started more tests in the 10 jersey than To'omua and every other option to play 10 around the country is uncapped. I will not be at all surprised if he plays tests at 10 this year. The field is wide open and he's at least as good a chance as anyone else.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Nah I’m not.. Throw in the No.8 and you have the complete spine of the team, however they Tahs didn’t lose their No.8
I'm not too worried about the "Spine." Fitzpatrick started most games last year, Gordon is no slouch, Beale could be a worry but he has played for the Wallabies there and all franchises are like us and are banking on young guns to step up, and Maddocks at 15 will do me. Depth might be an issue, but I'm certainly not as pessimistic as most, particularly when you consider that Robbo and Dempsey missed most of last season last year. Agree that lot will depend on how they adapt to a new coaching structure, but I suppose we'll find out in a few weeks

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

He's started more tests in the 10 jersey than To'omua and every other option to play 10 around the country is uncapped. I will not be at all surprised if he plays tests at 10 this year. The field is wide open and he's at least as good a chance as anyone else.

He was a fine player back in the day. That day is long gone.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

But I don't rate either of them

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Agree BH. My only reservation with him at 10 is his tendency to run to the outside (typical 15 line in a wider channel) but I think this will be offset by the running lines of the likely 12s (Hunt or Moeroa).

I'd really like to say to KB (Kurtley Beale) mate take to steps straight (hips and shoulders square to the tryline) then make your decision.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree BH. My only reservation with him at 10 is his tendency to run to the outside (typical 15 line in a wider channel) but I think this will be offset by the running lines of the likely 12s (Hunt or Moeroa).

I'd really like to say to KB (Kurtley Beale) mate take to steps straight (hips and shoulders square to the tryline) then make your decision.

No doubt at all that he has issues with his game at 10 (as does every other 10 option at any Australian team).

The comments would have you believe that a bunch of players who have never played Super Rugby before are much better 10 options right now.

I'm happy to start with his experience there and see how it goes.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
The comments would have you believe that a bunch of players who have never played Super Rugby before are much better 10 options right now.

Especially when first up is Crusaders away

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
No doubt at all that he has issues with his game at 10 (as does every other 10 option at any Australian team).

Exactly. It's not like getting picked at 10 for game 1 is being anointed Pope; I expect the jersey numbers will shift a lot this year as we dial in on the best 15 to suite Penney's game plan.

Now that the Gibson experiment is over success for me this year is largely going to be finding a play-style that can win games and building on it; hopefully picking up a surprise win or two on the way. Unlike 2019 where we lost the same way each week and probably wasted some of the talent we had on the books

I'm really interested to see who can make the most of their opportunities over the season. Personally I've enjoyed watching players like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) go from being jumping into the crowd on coming of the bench for his first game to representing his country.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’m not sure the problem will be Penney himself. I know very little about him, so I don’t have an opinion there.

But whenever a coach changes a teams patterns & style it all takes time for players to adapt. I note he is trying to get players to play more instinctively. Sadly this appears to be something the modern Australian player struggles with because our junior devotions that has been based around highly structured play.

Generally that sort of change takes at least a full year to bed down. There will be some good moments and some bad during the process. If, however, Penney is successful I think the Tahs will be much better of for if.

So true TSR. McKellar took over the Brumbies in 2018 and set out to change the way they played. They had an excellent second half of the season after a poor start and just missed the finals. Kept improving last year to make the Semis.

If Penney can do similar, it could be the start of good things.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And the team

No World Cup Wallabies involved - Hanigan nursing a niggle and Moeroa sick.

EOX63RKU8AAXp6m

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just realised there are lots of Scots old boys in the squad at the moment. Mitch Short, Ryan McCauley, Jack Maddocks and Will Harris.

Any others?

Hopefully Angus Crichton adds to that list in a year or two!