• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

S

Show-n-go

If you look at all the other Australian teams all except Qld have gone for pretty experienced heads in terms of age and playing experience (eg. Haylet-Petty and AAA). Even NZ Super teams have gone the same direction with the likes of Whitelock and Cane etc.

The other teams that have chosen older captains have a much more even spread age wise. Tahs don't

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I tend to agree, I think Qld were a little light on experienced options, with the older guys having just joined the squad (Speight/JOC (James O'Connor)). It'd be interesting to know why not Rodda. I think Hegarty was another possibility (that Thorn mentioned), but I think with Wright having been around the group at different levels for longer potentially worked in his favour.

Pretty sure he just interviewed better, and over time has shown that he could be a wonderful Captain (Wright that is) He just needs to keep his place on the field, which probably can be said about a bunch of the Reds Players

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Who takes over after Simmons?

Good question but I guess we will find out in a couple years. Time for youngsters to take the reigns like the Reds are doing eg. Will Harris? HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) seems a well rounded chap. Foketi captained NRC but might not mean much. Perhaps a 'follow me' type player like Swinton/Dempsey

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) would be close in a year or two, he’s articulate, knows the game. As mentioned earlier, problem is props don’t play 80 minutes, therefore you have not your first choice making key decisions at the pointy end of a games.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Why are we allowed to bring in a unit already locked to another country? We got rid of the force and there was some sort of agreement that this shit would stop

And then why do we need another winger? (Unless Maddocks is running off to the 7s)

I hear what you're saying but even small countries like Ireland bring in imports where it makes sense. I think there is a place for it within reason. Is there anyone else of Super Rugby quality who you feel he's taking the spot of? because I'm sure they would have been considered.

Also, don't forget there is still a pathway at the Force in WA, so available spots haven't really lessened and other countries like NZ keep letting us train up some of our players in their systems (Mitre 10 etc..)

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Why are we allowed to bring in a unit already locked to another country? We got rid of the force and there was some sort of agreement that this shit would stop

And then why do we need another winger? (Unless Maddocks is running off to the 7s)

I'm with you fatprop.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

It's a mystery FP, isn't it. Brumbies this year offloaded Vunipola Fifita after he was capped in the RWC for Samoa (I think). Why can the Rebels, in particular, and now the Tahs sign players on after they've been capped elsewhere?

B

Bobby Sands

It's a mystery FP, isn't it. Brumbies this year offloaded Vunipola Fifita after he was capped in the RWC for Samoa (I think). Why can the Rebels, in particular, and now the Tahs sign players on after they've been capped elsewhere?

Because the Reds & Brumbies are the only true clubs. Let them have their own rules.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe being capped in 7's for a country rules you out for XV for another country, so he hasn't technically been capped elsewhere.

That said, yes the new 5 year residency laws make it unlikely he'd ever play for the Wallabies. I think he's 25 from memory so would be 30 odd before eligible if he hung around.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hear what you're saying but even small countries like Ireland bring in imports where it makes sense. I think there is a place for it within reason. Is there anyone else of Super Rugby quality who you feel he's taking the spot of? because I'm sure they would have been considered.

Also, don't forget there is still a pathway at the Force in WA, so available spots haven't really lessened and other countries like NZ keep letting us train up some of our players in their systems (Mitre 10 etc..)

I tend to agree - don't want completely closed shop as we need decent players to attract the fans and Tahs need a better wing option than clark and newsome with some x factor.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Is he good tho? None of our wingers are exceptional.