• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But like U14s that strategy was incredibly effective. I don't think I've ever seen someone so unstoppable from 5m out.

It's not like our backline has turned into a symphony of movement and skill without him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's also not like Taqele was just given the ball to run from anywhere like the kids tactic.

He was actually effective at beating his man and finishing tries.

Surely backline play at any level has a key focus of getting the ball to the wingers with time and space.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Taqele was definitely a character.

He was unstoppable when in form but just as frequently the worst player on the field, with a literal inability to turn around to chase, bad defence and terrible decision-making.

Alex Ross (28)
Yep, I think going for the "point of difference" winger too often means we're prepared to sacrifice skills like defence and kicking, in the hope of having someone like Taqele, who can create excitement in attack - 3-4 times a season. Ramm seems like a polished all-round performer, despite his inexperience - definitely worth investing in.
The two players in the backline I am most hoping we still have in 3 years are Ramm and Walton.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I was prepared to not like Tane, some people weren't too impressed with him from last year and thought he was overhyped but I have liked what I've seen in his end of game performances.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just read an article in the SMH quoting Ben Batger absolutely excoriating the decision to pick Donaldson ahead of Edmed.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Totally agree with everything that Ben Batger says. These kids continue to get an arm-chair ride because they played in an Aus 20's team that had some success. I saw Donaldson play last year for Randwick and he was not even a good first grader never lone a Super Rugby player. Smacks of Whittaker wanting to pick his Galloping Green mates. Edmed has done his time and deserves a chance.

Alex Ross (28)
With all the Edmed/Donaldson speculation it strikes me that the talk a few years ago about Maddocks being a 10 in waiting seems to have dried up. Not that I am advocating. It’s just curious that is never spoken about anymore.