• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Things are getting tough out there and we're going to see more of this I reckon. It was always around Sept/Oct that a lot of businesses would really hit the make or break phase.

NSW Rugby (NSWRU) can confirm that current apparel partner – XBLADES – will not see out the remaining two years of their contract with the organisation.

Originally signing a three-year deal at the end of 2019, the apparel and footwear provider has requested to cease their association with NSW Rugby at all levels due to the impacts of COVID-19.

XBLADES were contracted to supply teamwear to NSW Waratahs Super Rugby, Super W, and Academy teams as well as the ‘Gen Blue’ junior program and NSWRU referees until the end of 2022.

NSWRU CEO, Paul Doorn said that it was disappointing – but understandable – that XBLADES couldn’t continue working with the organisation.

“At the time [of signing XBLADES] it was a landmark deal for our organisation and the game in New South Wales,” Doorn said.

“Over the course of the last 12 months, we’ve really enjoyed working with Alastair [Davies] and the wider team at XBLADES – the outcome being what I think is some fantastic teamwear.

“Whilst we’re disappointed that they’ve been forced to terminate our deal, we also haven’t been immune to the effects of COVID-19 and understand the devastating impact this has had to business across the country and the world.

“To their credit, the team at XBLADES have been completely transparent from the outset about their ability meet the terms of our existing deal – giving us the time we need to make alternate arrangements for 2021.”

Doorn thanked XBLADES for their contribution to NSWRU during their tenure as the organisations apparel partner.

“I’d like to thank XBLADES for all of their work throughout 2020, it’s certainly been a challenging year on many fronts but they’ve been a fantastic partner throughout,” Doorn added.

“We wish them all the best as they navigate the current challenges COVID-19 has presented all of us.”

CEO of XBLADES, Alastair Davies said it was a regrettable situation to be parting ways with NSWRU.

“This year has presented many challenges for all of us, but we are very proud of what we have achieved with the Waratahs,” Davies said.

“We wish NSWRU all the best for the remainder of this year and hope that collectively, and individually, we successfully navigate the difficult business environment we are all currently faced with.

“It has been a privilege to partner with the Waratahs and the NSWRU and whilst this is not the outcome we envisaged when partnering 12 months ago, we have enjoyed working our time working closely with Paul [Doorn], Adam [Fulepp] and the NSWRU team.

“Our hope is that we all can overcome the difficult trading conditions brought about by COVID-19 and that our paths cross once again in the not-too-distant future."

NSWRU are currently in the process of finalising an agreement with a new apparel partner, with an announcement expected in the coming days.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Things are getting tough out there and we're going to see more of this I reckon. It was always around Sept/Oct that a lot of businesses would really hit the make or break phase.

Far from ideal. Marketing budgets are getting slashed left and right. Need to get Netflix, Amazon, Telstra or Big Pharma to sponsor our teams, they're the ones all profiting during this period :)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Far from ideal. Marketing budgets are getting slashed left and right. Need to get Netflix, Amazon, Telstra or Big Pharma to sponsor our teams, they're the ones all profiting during this period :)

Coles and Woolworths?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Concern to read Tahs want to come in 1mil below the salary cap, whilst the rebels are happy to spend it.

I think that the it will again be the Tahs who take the biggest step backwards in 2021 unfortunately.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Concern to read Tahs want to come in 1mil below the salary cap, whilst the rebels are happy to spend it.

I think that the it will again be the Tahs who take the biggest step backwards in 2021 unfortunately.

Where's the Rebels funding coming from?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There was private equity sniffing around rebels but I doubt that will come to fruition in short term. Tahs certainly taking the more conservative stand out of the franchises. I am presuming as looking at another super rugby Au and hence low broadcast funding that squad sizes will be hit whilst ability to retain middle tier talent not on RA top ups will be challenging. Hence focus on youth abs journey men (Sam Wykes)

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The whole lock thing has me very concerned. We were weak enough there this year, but with Simmons, Hanigan, Holloway and Tafa all gone, we are left with Staniforth and McCauley, neither of whom would make the 23 in any other Super side in Aus. And Sam Wykes I would rate about level with Staniforth ie a passable bench lock.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

As long as they live within their means, I don't have an issue

They can't spend what they don't have and hope someone comes in to save them

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The whole lock thing has me very concerned. We were weak enough there this year, but with Simmons, Hanigan, Holloway and Tafa all gone, we are left with Staniforth and McCauley, neither of whom would make the 23 in any other Super side in Aus. And Sam Wykes I would rate about level with Staniforth ie a passable bench lock.

The Tahs really need to start recruiting soon. They have lost so much experience and have one new player so in Porecki and he signed weeks ago.

Our locks for years have been mostly average and I was hoping our recruitment team would have finally started turning the corner and buy what we need as our young locks aren't ready yet

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Tahs really need to start recruiting soon. They have lost so much experience and have one new player so in Porecki and he signed weeks ago.

Our locks for years have been mostly average and I was hoping our recruitment team would have finally started turning the corner and buy what we need as our young locks aren't ready yet
Our recruitment team won't be signing anyone with no money.

To be honest, as long as they stay afloat i won't be fussed if they get the wooden spoon. They can start recruiting once player wages have deflated by 2022.