• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nah, forget Walton. Newsome is a great defender and Perese probably the 'most talented' (generous) of the midfield backs.

They will be 13 and 14.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez we're a bit stuffed if Harrison gets injured. I don't hate the squad as there is some good talent in there, but I think 3rd place would be an excellent result.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
This tahs squad is where the reds squad was two years ago.

this one... hmmm, dunno...;

2018 Reds squad
Props
Sef Fa’agase
Harry Hoopert
James Slipper
JP Smith
Taniela Tupou
Markus Vanzati
Hookers
Alex Mafi
Andrew Ready
Brandon Paenga-Amosa
Locks
Angus Blyth
Kane Douglas
Harry Hockings
Izack Rodda
Lukhan Tui
Backrow
Michael Gunn
Reece Hewat
Scott Higginbotham
Adam Korczyk
Angus Scott-Young
George Smith
Caleb Timu
Liam Wright
Scrumhalves
Nick Frisby
Tate McDermott
Moses Sorovi
James Tuttle
Fly halves
Quade Cooper
Hamish Stewart
Centres
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Samu Kerevi
Duncan Paia’aua
Outside backs
Filipo Daugunu
Karmichael Hunt
Lachlan Maranta
Eto Nabuli
Izaia Perese

... all know what happened to Cooper, Hunt and the injection of Jono Lance...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...n/news-story/e118d1c2fa1d4a7d3584330740bd99b3

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Make a 'at their best' team from the 2018 squad.

1. Slipper 2. Amosa 3. Tupou
4. Rodda 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright 8. Higs 7. Smith
9. Mcdermott 10. Quade 11. Daugunu 12. Kerevi 13. CFS 14. Nabuli 15. Hunt
16. Mafi 17. Hoopert 18. Smith 19. Douglas 20. Timu 21. Frisby 22. Stewart 23. Perese

Even if you didnt, and kept it as per 2018, the Waratahs squad doesn't touch that Reds squad (on paper)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
this one. hmmm, dunno.;
. all know what happened to Cooper, Hunt and the injection of Jono Lance.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...n/news-story/e118d1c2fa1d4a7d3584330740bd99b3

Add in that Slipper, Ready, Frisby and Vanzati were also punted from the 2018 squad.

Players who debut in 2018 *BPA, Hoopert, Blyth, Hockings, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), *Wright, *McDermott, *Petaia and *Daugunu (* Denotes Wallaby)

Others young in their career from 2018
Tupou 17 Super Rugby 1 T
Mafi 8 Super Rugby
Rodda 12 Super Rugby 4 T
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 13 Super Rugby 4 T
Sorovi 1 Super Rugby
Stewart 5 Super Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Bowral trial cancelled due to COVID , not a great start to the season

719C22C9-E9DF-4A61-9372-0A39A2019753.jpeg

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Make a 'at their best' team from the 2018 squad.

1. Slipper 2. Amosa 3. Tupou
4. Rodda 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright 8. Higs 7. Smith
9. Mcdermott 10. Quade 11. Daugunu 12. Kerevi 13. CFS 14. Nabuli 15. Hunt
16. Mafi 17. Hoopert 18. Smith 19. Douglas 20. Timu 21. Frisby 22. Stewart 23. Perese

Even if you didnt, and kept it as per 2018, the Waratahs squad doesn't touch that Reds squad (on paper)

Also remember to cut Slipper, Cooper, Hunt and Frisby.

My original point was a comment in reference to the stage of development of the younger players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To me they are definitely looking wooden spoon candidates and my prediction is they will collect the wooden spoon given this is now their official squad. Lacking quality and depth and this is not a super rugby quality squad. Only good thing I suppose is they must be well under the salary cap as per their plans with that sort of squad.

I think on paper our squad is comparatively better than it was last year relative to the other sides.

Brumbies and Reds are still out in front but I think we're closer to the Rebels than last year and I like our chances finishing above them.

Force squad has improved a fair bit but I think they'll still finish last.

I think you're rating things too much on names rather than assessing actual performances.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm with you BH. I think the Tahs will surprise. They really will miss Hooper who was just so amazing for them. Dempsey and Swinton are so important. Biggest question marks around lock and centre really, but there are candidates there who can do the business - they just need to raise their game.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Henry Robertson signed. Halfback 180 cm 84kgs 21 years old. Ive not seen him play, did he play any SS last year?

Would have thought Banjo Travers was ahead of him

Alex Ross (28)
I'm with you BH. I think the Tahs will surprise. They really will miss Hooper who was just so amazing for them. Dempsey and Swinton are so important. Biggest question marks around lock and centre really, but there are candidates there who can do the business - they just need to raise their game.

Prop is significantly weaker without Tom R. Sure Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) will get you started but then what? Faulkner? Sorry, but he’s past it. I hope Talakai come on, but we still need a backup loose head.

It is true that Caird and Whetton have potential to not see us go backwards in the row if they turn out to be good gets. And I am hopeful that Penny has spent his pennies well. Because after having one of the best line outs in the comp last year, we need to get a lot of new parts working together well very quickly so we don’t go further backwards.

The loss of Hooper will be felt and there is isn’t a mature leader in the backline to keep people focused. Lots of potential firepower, but a lot will rest on Harrison’s shoulders to steer it in the right direction.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The loss of Hooper will be felt and there is isn’t a mature leader in the backline to keep people focused. Lots of potential firepower, but a lot will rest on Harrison’s shoulders to steer it in the right direction.
Where's the firepower? Is James Ramm considered 'firepower' in this era?