• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
How is it that they have no money whereby all of the other franchises have been recruiting and keeping the players they want?
Can only be one thing or one group.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How is it that they have no money whereby all of the other franchises have been recruiting and keeping the players they want?
Can only be one thing or one group.

Good question. I think a big contributing factor is no home ground.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes Joe I'd like to see a bit of analysis about that fact. I don't think anyone disputes they are more or less broke, but I haven't seen any deep dive into why.

The only factor unique to NSW in the last 18 months has been the stadium. Surely they have taken a hit from having to relocate to the SCG/Parra/Newcastle, but how much of a hit? They may have lost members, gate takings etc, but it's not like crowds have fallen off a cliff.

Sponsorship has seemed steady enough. I'd love someone to take a look at the books and see if anything can come out of that.

I think Davis and management (Paul Doorn is CEO but is pretty new in the role so hard to point the finger at him) have more questions to answer than Penney at this point in time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's hard to know until the 2020 financials are released by NSWRU.

I have a feeling that rather than using up some of the reserves from NSWRU (which were pretty strong at 31 Dec 2019) they have decided that they will ride out 2020 and 2021 by slashing their budget (particularly this year) until they have a new home ground.

I certainly expect that they didn't think that the slashed player budget would have anywhere near the effect on the competitiveness of the team as it has had after two rounds.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's hard to know until the 2020 financials are released by NSWRU.

I have a feeling that rather than using up some of the reserves from NSWRU (which were pretty strong at 31 Dec 2019) they have decided that they will ride out 2020 and 2021 by slashing their budget (particularly this year) until they have a new home ground.

I certainly expect that they didn't think that the slashed player budget would have anywhere near the effect on the competitiveness of the team as it has had after two rounds.
Agreed I think they have most likely gone the extreme caution route. The uncertainty of the tv deal, uncertainty over a season happening etc. for a long time last year would determine some level of caution.

I also wonder if Hooper is getting a portion of his future earnings paid this year, so they can free cap space to retain some of the younger players in a few years time. For example say Hooper is due to earn $400k from the Tahs the next two years, they might be paying $300k this year so the next 2 seasons they only have to pay $250k and they can invest some of that cap space into retention.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lets see how you go against the Rebels / Force before calling it a massive failure, there's not to many harder tasks then Reds Suncorp (with a load of injuries) and then Brumbies GIO... Thats a hiding for nothing for any team and I dont believe anyone expected them to win those games... maybe the margins harsh. This weekend vs the Force is really there first game they have a chance in.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
It will be interesting to see how they go against the Force. If you look at them across the board they lack any form of true leadership, including Gordon. I just do not rate him as a captain to be followed in the mould of most that we see.
Curious how you have made this assessment about Gordon? He has been captain for all of one game and was quite good for the 60 minutes he was on the field. He's also been captain of successful Sydney Uni sides and from all accounts is quite widely respected in NSW rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Saving their pennies for a big recruitment drive in the future seems like a pretty big gamble to me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Or is it just the reality if you try and run a professional team on 3/4 of the wage bill as your opponents where that wage bill is already fairly low on a global scale?

No amount of planning helps you build a squad where the average contract size doesn't get you much more than a rookie on their first professional contract.

I think blaming the reduced budget for this year ignores and excuses the downward trajectory that the Waratahs were on prior to 2021.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think blaming the reduced budget for this year ignores and excuses the downward trajectory that the Waratahs were on prior to 2021.

I definitely think it's a combination of the two but regardless of the recent trajectory, underspending your opposition by that much is never going to leave you with a decent squad. I don't think you can blame Daryl Gibson for the situation now. With the current budget you'd be able to afford a couple of players who were in the squad when he was coach which is exactly the situation we have now.

The young players coming through now forming the core of the team are what was neglected over the downturn. Partly that is because there were a lot of experienced players still in and around the Wallabies making it hard for young players to get a chance.

Also though, we didn't have the level of talent coming through over that time that is now there. A lot of these guys were part of that 2019 under 20 World Cup squad which is our first really good under 20 side in a long time.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Curious how you have made this assessment about Gordon? He has been captain for all of one game and was quite good for the 60 minutes he was on the field. He's also been captain of successful Sydney Uni sides and from all accounts is quite widely respected in NSW rugby.
I just don’t see it in him Eastman. Nothing personal. They need some solid leadership and I dont think he will be able to provide it, not on his own anyway IMHO.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I just don’t see it in him Eastman. Nothing personal. They need some solid leadership and I dont think he will be able to provide it, not on his own anyway IMHO.
Seems to be a capable leader when he’s got the cattle to lead.

it wouldn’t matter who captains them, or coaches them.

The Tahs squad is just not fit for purpose.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
\

I predicted pretty much what happening with Tahs when saw the release of the squad..others disagreed with me.my prediction of Tahs as wooden spoon candidates certainly firmed up and most likely best prediction at this point. Brumbies equally firming as firm favourites this season.

Easier for me to hence not been too disappointed with Tahs performance given performing to expectations and to me looking for players who will improve for seasons ahead. Tizzano looks a good long term prospect so that is one positive..other positives I will have to work a bit harder for at this stage.

I'd add Porecki as another possible positive, but I am really struggling to find any others. Maybe Maddocks. Moeroa looked half-OK though shaded by his opposite. But that's all I can find,

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'd add Porecki as another possible positive, but I am really struggling to find any others. Maybe Maddocks. Moeroa looked half-OK though shaded by his opposite. But that's all I can find,

I think Grant at halfback is probably quite servicable too- although he will hardly get the chance to show it.