• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Apologies for the dig.

I was angling at the fact that Eastwood seems to consider it more closely aligned to one of the strugglers who eat dirt as opposed to one of the blue ribbon clubs in the Shute Shield.

Maybe because we ate dirt for a lo-o-o-o-ng time after our admission in 1949. 50 years until our first first grade premiership.

If it were not for the Millner family, not to mention the deep pockets of North Ryde RSL, we might not be here, frankly.

Anyway, apology accepted.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So, i asked before and was rudely ignored. Anyone know what Aussie locks will actually be off contract and available in 2022?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, i asked before and was rudely ignored. Anyone know what Aussie locks will actually be off contract and available in 2022?

Adam Coleman.

However he was on BIG money at London Irish - one of the highest lock salaries in the premiership, and not regarded as well here as Arnold, Rodda and Skelton so I'm sure he won't bother with the huge pay cut and a 'maybe' spot for the WC.

Also locally:
Steve Cummins
Trevor Hosea
Ross HaylettPetty
Nick Frost
Sitaleki Timani

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hosea and Frost would be worth chasing for sure.

I don't really think the others are. They need to back the improvement of Douglas and Williams who are going well so far. Likewise Hanigan will be back next year and likely to play a fair amount of lock.

If we're going to spend a lot on recruiting a big name it needs to be a real standout.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hosea and Frost would be worth chasing for sure.

I don't really think the others are. They need to back the improvement of Douglas and Williams who are going well so far. Likewise Hanigan will be back next year and likely to play a fair amount of lock.

If we're going to spend a lot on recruiting a big name it needs to be a real standout.

Frost would be good and a Sydney Boy . With Whetton and Caird already locked in, keeping Douglas and Williams will be important. Quite undersized if partnered with Hanigan so I'm worried about more of the same.

Lots of pressure for physically on the backrow of Swinton/Vosacoya/Hoops

Shame muscle man Whetton hasn't stepped up.

If we can't get a Plus sized lock, then we need a Plus sized winger and of course a solid THP (hopefully 1 or both of Tauakipulu and Tatola get there)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Plus Harris in the backrow (hopefully).

I would be trying to offload Whetton. Make it clear that if he can find another contract he should take it. I still have some faith in Caird becoming reasonable.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Plus Harris in the backrow (hopefully).

I would be trying to offload Whetton. Make it clear that if he can find another contract he should take it. I still have some faith in Caird becoming reasonable.

Cummins would be okay if you could get him a decent (read: bargain) price.

He's a Sydney- lad and would be a serviceable starter from day one, whilst you develop and manage the workload of Douglas and Williams over the next couple of seasons.

Alex Ross (28)
I think getting 2 years out of Timani would be just about ideal for a big experienced body in the row. I’d also consider possibly shifting either Harris or Swinton into a locking role. Harris looks like a big human and might provide more bulk in the engine than Hanigan. Though, Hanigan is a lot stronger than he looks. I have seen noticeable change in the stability of the scrum when he was at lock.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Any one of the Brumbies Locks Neville/Frost/Swain or even Timani would be a huge win for NSW... considering the first 2 are Sydney boys as well...
Solomone Kata would also solve a problem and is not in the Brumbies best back 3 of Wright/Banks/Muirhead.. Kerevi would also be an excellent get. Another good option would be the young Qld winger Droasese. He is unlikely to get any serious game time in Red for a while... he'd be useful.
The real conundrum is to find an enormous, rock shifting TH or 2..... That's where I'd be spending my cap.... maybe a marquee from Argentina or SA.

Doorn.... get onto it now mate

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Any one of the Brumbies Locks Neville/Frost/Swain or even Timani would be a huge win for NSW. considering the first 2 are Sydney boys as well.
Solomone Kata would also solve a problem and is not in the Brumbies best back 3 of Wright/Banks/Muirhead.. Kerevi would also be an excellent get. Another good option would be the young Qld winger Droasese. He is unlikely to get any serious game time in Red for a while. he'd be useful.
The real conundrum is to find an enormous, rock shifting TH or 2... That's where I'd be spending my cap.. maybe a marquee from Argentina or SA.

Doorn.. get onto it now mate

Swain, Neville, Kerevi, Droasese & Kata not available in 2022 unfortunately.

There is really stuff all available for 2022 in the physical profiles required. Definitely need to be looking offshore/Marquees

Brining back a Kerevi in 2023 would be on the RA/Tahs radar

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cummins would be okay if you could get him a decent (read: bargain) price.

He's a Sydney- lad and would be a serviceable starter from day one, whilst you develop and manage the workload of Douglas and Williams over the next couple of seasons.

I just don't see Cummins (or Timani in the next post) providing enough of an upgrade to justify using up the spot and the dollars.

One of the issues is timing of contracts. Anyone you bring in is likely to be for two years and if you can't sign the ideal player for next season because of availability issues then you potentially diminish your chances of landing someone the year after.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I just don't see Cummins (or Timani in the next post) providing enough of an upgrade to justify using up the spot and the dollars.

One of the issues is timing of contracts. Anyone you bring in is likely to be for two years and if you can't sign the ideal player for next season because of availability issues then you potentially diminish your chances of landing someone the year after.

I don't see Cummins as any better than Caird

I actually think we will be OK, I like what Douglas and Williams are doing and when you add Hanigan

We can budget a good 50 minutes of TH lock work from Caird and allow the other 3 to fill the other minutes playing the more dynamic stuff with Hanigan being able to do up to 80. So we have a few promising locks coming through and a dynamic lineout 5/6 coming back. Our backrow is looking good, with Hooper back - even better

I would rather spend the $$ on a THP and throwing lessons for our hookers as I am not a fan of the under 14s game plan of chuck to the big guy on the wing as a long term solution

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how many tests Ned Hanigan has to play before people will start spelling his surname correctly?

I am not a fan of the under 14s game plan of chuck to the big guy on the wing as a long term solution

Regardless of who your wings are, when has it ever not been the plan to try and get them the ball with time and space to give them an opportunity to beat their man?

When we did have Taqele, a lot of his tries came about (same with any other winger's tries) because you make a break in the midfield or draw in additional defenders so you can then link with the winger with only the fullback to beat.

Regardless of size, the wings likely to play for the Wallabies are the guys who routinely beat a player one on one (Koroibete, Wright, Daugunu, Petaia).

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think getting 2 years out of Timani would be just about ideal for a big experienced body in the row. I’d also consider possibly shifting either Harris or Swinton into a locking role. Harris looks like a big human and might provide more bulk in the engine than Hanigan. Though, Hanigan is a lot stronger than he looks. I have seen noticeable change in the stability of the scrum when he was at lock.
There's an element of Whetton with the way that Timani has been playing this year; massive body but has been pretty ineffective bending the line and moving bodies at rucks (although he is probably better in the set piece).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder how many tests Ned Hanigan has to play before people will start spelling his surname correctly?

Regardless of who your wings are, when has it ever not been the plan to try and get them the ball with time and space to give them an opportunity to beat their man?

When we did have Taqele, a lot of his tries came about (same with any other winger's tries) because you make a break in the midfield or draw in additional defenders so you can then link with the winger with only the fullback to beat.

Regardless of size, the wings likely to play for the Wallabies are the guys who routinely beat a player one on one (Koroibete, Wright, Daugunu, Petaia).

There is a difference between creating space, by quality inside work, for a wing who has the pace and ability to get find the line and hoping a unit will continually rumble through 3 or 4 in the last minutes of a game

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
There is a difference between creating space, by quality inside work, for a wing who has the pace and ability to get find the line and hoping a unit will continually rumble through 3 or 4 in the last minutes of a game

Why not have both?

I mean a big winger who can take advantage of the space created and who may also be able to rumble through 3 or 4?