• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why not have both?

I mean a big winger who can take advantage of the space created and who may also be able to rumble through 3 or 4?

Nice if we could find it, but I think we could invest funds more effectively

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nice if we could find it, but I think we could invest funds more effectively

Where would you suggest?

Recently on this page people have been satisfied with the locking options, the backrow options, the wing options.

That leaves Centre and THP - neither of which anyone of note in australia is really available for.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Satisfied with the locking options? wot

I think Centre is OK. Between Walton, Foketi and Perese we have passable, if not spectacular, options.

THP is fucked though. Get Kepu out of retirement?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

With Douglas and Williams (and hopefully Caird) all improving and Hanigan coming back the signing needed is a star.

This season having a solid option would have improved things substantially (particularly when we were starting Whetton). Next season I think it needs to be significantly better than that to really make a worthwhile impact.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Where would you suggest?

Recently on this page people have been satisfied with the locking options, the backrow options, the wing options.

That leaves Centre and THP - neither of which anyone of note in australia is really available for.

THP needs an upgrade and patience with some of the younger units

If their isn't a readily available THP, investment in a youngling or two looking for opportunity

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

I think Centre is OK. Between Walton, Foketi and Perese we have passable, if not spectacular, options.

THP is fucked though. Get Kepu out of retirement?

I'm not satisfied, but Whetton and Caird are already on the books - Hanigan has just been picked up and Williams and Douglas are next cabs to get developed. Not really much space for another starter level lock who is a BIG boppa.

Is Kepu actually retired from Rugby or just Test matches? He got released from London Irish - perhaps he would do what the South Africans are doing and could come back and impart some wisdom on Tauakipulu and Tatola and some reliability off the bench same as G.Holmes is doing.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
When we did have Taqele, a lot of his tries came about (same with any other winger's tries) because you make a break in the midfield or draw in additional defenders so you can then link with the winger with only the fullback to beat.

Regardless of size, the wings likely to play for the Wallabies are the guys who routinely beat a player one on one (Koroibete, Wright, Daugunu, Petaia).
Fatprop is probably insinuating that you can get many of the benefits of TN, without the drawbacks that were associated with him, through other strike wingers.

Those you listed above are probably off- limits but we should definitely be looking at an athletic outside back!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With Douglas and Williams (and hopefully Caird) all improving and Hanigan coming back the signing needed is a star.

This season having a solid option would have improved things substantially (particularly when we were starting Whetton). Next season I think it needs to be significantly better than that to really make a worthwhile impact.

I guess that's kind of the issue in the entire squad, really. Most players are passable squad options but we have fuck all clout. No one demands selection or provides anything beyond 'eh they do a job'. Even the younger guys and the guys who should be better still only manage to fall into that passable category.

Swinton, Bell, Maddocks, Perese, Harrison, etc could all become great but currently aren't.

Notable exception is Gordon. Really on top of his game and is the only Tah who should be within a shout of the Wallabies.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I guess that's kind of the issue in the entire squad, really. Most players are passable squad options but we have fuck all clout. No one demands selection or provides anything beyond 'eh they do a job'. Even the younger guys and the guys who should be better still only manage to fall into that passable category.

Swinton, Bell, Maddocks, Perese, Harrison, etc could all become great but currently aren't.

Notable exception is Gordon. Really on top of his game and is the only Tah who should be within a shout of the Wallabies.

Disagree on Perese, since coming back from suspension he's been exceptional. Also a bit harsh on Bell who hasn't put a foot wrong in my book. Still great around the park, but his scrummaging has come leaps and bounds from last year.

The rest I would agree haven't been performing to potential. Both Maddocks and Harrison have put in some great performances, but some real clunkers as well. Swinton has been a non-factor, I would drop him to the bench for Wood for a couple weeks.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I agree with this- if someone like Maddocks is being touted as a marquee player (and he was, at least initially) then they definitely have to perform better than just serviceable Super Rugby (AU!) players.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Disagree on Perese, since coming back from suspension he's been exceptional. Also a bit harsh on Bell who hasn't put a foot wrong in my book. Still great around the park, but his scrummaging has come leaps and bounds from last year.

The rest I would agree haven't been performing to potential. Both Maddocks and Harrison have put in some great performances, but some real clunkers as well. Swinton has been a non-factor, I would drop him to the bench for Wood for a couple weeks.
Sorry but getting a red in your first 30 and being banned for 3 (or was it more?) weeks kinda rules you out of the 'great' category.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sorry but getting a red in your first 30 and being banned for 3 (or was it more?) weeks kinda rules you out of the 'great' category.
Yeah agreed, he is great in contact but he has pushed the pass/offload when not on a few times also turning the ball over. He would need to work on the elements to his game to be pushing those ahead of him. I think he is capable of he is willing to apply himself his track record is a bit sketch on this front.

Alex Ross (28)
First bit of good news in a while. Hopefully it’s the last we hear of trying to turn Wood into a prop!

Need to secure a Hanigan to improve the lineout.