• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We have a big bias to the players we see every week and neglect the ones that are out of sight (like R. Arnold in 3rd div Japan wtf is he doing). When most of the players I mentioned left Aus they were Wallaby squad members, if not starters and yes we can replace them but constantly with younger and more inexperienced players. I'm so envious of Ireland and France's ability to put out teams with huge amounts of caps and afford to watch players mature into even better versions. I really don't think we can understand how much experience we've lost.
i think the complete opposite.

Too often we hear that these guys have gone OS and are suddenly killing it. Then they come back and they aren’t particularly better they left. There are exceptions but there aren’t many.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Some of it is timing. For example, Gill and McMahon left because they were behind Hooper and Pocock, both of whom were really generational talents. Others, like Skelton, hadn't really matured into the players they became later, and saw opportunities overseas because other players were being preferred.
As this is a Tahs thread, while they are significant losses to the Tahs, none of Hanigan, Swinton, Harrison, Perese or Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) were realistic chances of being in the Wallabies first 23 this year. I think Hanigan and Swinton are significant losses, but both will be 29 next year, a rugby career has a fairly limited life-span and you can't really blame them for grabbing the money. Harrison is disappointing, while he hasn't set the world on fire this year, I think that's pretty understandable for someone who has had effectively two years out through injury, and at only 24 still had time to grow into a top line player, and perhaps even a Wallaby.
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and Perese are both very one dimensional players, both very strong runners with the ball in hand, but very suspect in defence, both have a tendency to lose the ball in contact, and both are dreadful decision makers. From what I've seen of Sua'ali'i, he will be Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) with the addition of the ability to tackle!

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I bring hope for the next season:
Screenshot-20240528-163532-Instagram.jpg

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Too often we hear that these guys have gone OS and are suddenly killing it. Then they come back and they aren’t particularly better they left. There are exceptions but there aren’t many.
I think much of it has to do with the systems/ teams that these players end up in.

Does anyone seriously think that Mack Hansen is one of the top wingers in the world and would make a material difference to the Wallabies?

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I think much of it has to do with the systems/ teams that these players end up in.

Does anyone seriously think that Mack Hansen is one of the top wingers in the world and would make a material difference to the Wallabies?
He doesn't but I'd take Bundee Aki everyday of my life

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

It becomes a bit romanticized. The injured player coming back does the same thing. Or the belief of Kearns just plugging away as a reserve grade battler.

Players like Arnold and Second Rowers in general are always in high demand world wide even at the top sides. Can accumulate wins and trophies by being pieces and not the star. Then they come back and when the performance is just at the actual level they are we get the shits.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Too often the reason these players really shine overseas is because the competition isn't as good. The best French players are split into 14 different teams. The best NZ players are split into five different teams. Is it any wonder why these expats look so good?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Too often the reason these players really shine overseas is because the competition isn't as good. The best French players are split into 14 different teams. The best NZ players are split into five different teams. Is it any wonder why these expats look so good?
Yeah once again this is a bit out of date. France now draws a lot of the best players from Argentina, England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. You now have Joe Marchant, Owen Farrell, Jack Willis, Skelton, Petti, Dan Biggar, Ben White, Fainga'anuku, Sowakula, Kremer, Delguy, Kolisi, Henry Arrundell plying their trade.

They're all walk up starters to their national teams and they're now supplementing the Top 14. Not to speak of the massive legion of players the next level down like Alo-Emile, Simone, Goodhue etc.

Things have changed and are still changing.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
After his debut season Skelton basically started whenever fit for the Tahs and got plenty of runs out for the Wobs. When he arrived at Sarries, he wasn't guaranteed a place in the 23 outside of the international or rest weeks when Itoje/Kruis were unavailable: instead competing with the likes of Dominic Day for the 19 jersey.

That's a big change in pecking order, you've got a lot of growing up to do when that happens.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It becomes a bit romanticized. The injured player coming back does the same thing. Or the belief of Kearns just plugging away as a reserve grade battler.
Yeah and people on these forums (including the journos who then write articles) try to pull the name of someone obscure so they sounds like they know what they are talking about. It then becomes an echo chamber without anyone actually spending the time to watch their form.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Skelton in Australia was massively overweight, a lumbering behemoth, almost too big to squeeze into a scrum. Lack of self discipline? Poor player management? Probably both. Sarries knocked 10-15kgs off him and revealed the potential. The rest is history.
It's different when you live alone overseas in a country you don't know. Despite that he was useful for the 2014 championship