• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Player Welfare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This year the Tahs have had dreadful injury problems. However, it seems to me that they are miraculously getting players back on the field week after week. I know all professional athletes have to play injured at times, but it concerns me that a number of important Wallabies are playing injured for too long or are coming back from injury early.

Examples include:

1. Berrick Barnes - we all know he should have had more time off as soon as he suffered the recurrences;
  2. TPN - he seems to be constantly hurt and only making it back on the field by the end of the week;
  3. Benn Robinson - another who seems to have been playing injured for some time. He's a week to week proposition at the moment and no decision is being made until Friday;
  4. Lachy Turner - as with BR, no decision until Friday. It is quite possible his injuries are substantially effecting his form. We've certainly not seen his best this year;
  5. Wycliff Palu - Hamstring and leg problems rather than his fractured shoulder, but nevertheless, its been a while since he's strung full games together;
  6. Phil Waugh - injured then back then injured again then back again. What next?;

How many of these guys (and others) are coming back too early or not resting when they should to save the Waratahs' season? How significantly does this effect their form? Will this be detrimental to the Wallabies' world cup tilt?

I'm not pointing the finger at Dr Sharon Flahive who I have every reason to believe is dedicated, loyal and a superb doctor. However it is something of a trend and suggests there may be some management pressure to get back on the pitch.

Thoughts?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think you gotta take into account the coaches playing mind games with opposition > im with you on the injury concerns> but hickey wouldnt be the first to exaggerate injuries and delay line ups> also helps gain the underdog tag~

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
This I have no doubt is something every club is doing, perhaps we just read about it more a the 'Tahs. Jamie Joseph talked about their industry connundrum at Saturday presser - think I'll upload it as he made some great comments about managing injury - Poki's knee in particular

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't entirely agree. Berrick's case is unusual and it's not surprising that the medical staff were a bit unsure how long to give him. In the end, they based their decisions on his clinical appearance, which seems reasonable. Cliffy and Waugh have suffered different injuries, not recurrences of the same ones. Decisions about Fatcat and Lachy were made after MRI showed no significant soft tissue injury. I have every faith in the medical team at the tahs and I'm pretty confident that if they say a player isn't right no-one argues. In fact it is probably more likely that the player is pushing to play.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the sports doctors at The Stadium are pretty good - they handle a heap of pro sports teams as well as the Tahs. Ultimately the doctor will give a recommendation, with risks on playing (assuming they are not 100% ruled out), and the player and coaching staff will make the final decision. It depends on the player and team I'd say - I've seen a Subbies player play a final series with a fractured wrist, for example.

Ultimately the player and coaches have to draw a line - for example if the player can take a week off and recover, or play on with, say, a moderate chance of further injury. The Tahs seem to have a culture where the players will do anything for the team and where players are willing to put themselves in harms way for the good of the team.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
People at the Reds have been bleating about how bad their injury list is (and pulling people back from the U20's) but as I see it they have not yet had to dip into their local competition to get through. The Tahs on the other hand have had to scratch around in Shute several times and this week have a lock playing at 6 to cover for injuries. So in my opinion people have glossed over just how tough an injury year it has been for the Waratahs. Those people who want everyone who is injured (of those we know about) to stand down should consider what the team would look like if they did. The reality is:
1. No one available. Robinson would be out and Tilse has been playing Uni seconds because he's been having back spasms. Not what you want in a Super rugby prop. No reserve prop either.
2. Ulugia to start and Roberts (untried but well-credentialled Shute prop) on the bench.
3. Baxter is fit I think. No cover.
4 & 5. Timani and O'Connor to start and Vickerman, who has played two senior games in three months on the bench. There's no one else with Peterson in the U20's.
6,7 & 8. Dennis, Mumm are fit, Waugh should be out so Alcock comes in (3rd string 7 who misses 50% of his tackles) Perrett on the bench (29yo Shute player) and no one for the other bench spot.
9. Burgess and McKibben. Depth somewhere at least. McKibben can't play because we have to use Holmes for his backline flexibility to cover positions across the line (like winger).
10 & 12. Hangers and Carter. Beale backs up Hangers and Holmes Carter. But who then backs up Beale as Turner is playing injured and should be out? Batger, another Shute veteran I guess.
13. Cross probably shouldn't be playing so who do we use at 13? Pakalani? Who else? Maybe Holmes at 12 and Carter at 13 but then we have no back-up at 12.
11 & 14. Turner is out so Anesi and Pakalani start. Supersub Holmes for the bench maybe?
15. Beale with Batger back-up.​
So based on that analysis we only have one position where we have cover from the original squad (9) and a couple of other positions where we have got some ex-Shute cover. And this is in a game where we are playing for a place in the finals! So I think people should get real. Players are playing with injuries because they have to! Less criticism and more credit to them would be more appropriate.

Save your criticism for John O'Neill and his happy campers. He thinks you can run a squad with only 30 contracted players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies have also had a horrendous injury toll, and despite having to dip well into the Academy for guys playing 2nd grade club rugby have also chosen against weakening the U20's squad...

Oh, and JON is totally kidding himself...

It's obvious that a longer season requires more players, and after the year the Australian teams are having it's made it even more ridiculous...

Non squad players the Brumbies had to draft in from the Academy/club rugby:

Hookers: Anthony Hegarty, Elvis Levi (both had to play against the Force
Props: Jono Owen
Locks: Sam Carter
Backrow: Ita Vaea (has played every game bar two since round 1), Henry Vanderglas, Tom Boidin

Tom Alexander had to train with the squad in case Carter wasn't fit last week...

Somehow the Brumbies' haven't had many backline injuries, although Ed Stubbs has been out all year...

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
People at the Reds have been bleating about how bad their injury list is (and pulling people back from the U20's) but as I see it they have not yet had to dip into their local competition to get through.

Whilst not as extensive, our injury list has been substantial too. We're allowed to vent our frustrations. Get off your high horse.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
People at the Reds have been bleating about how bad their injury list is (and pulling people back from the U20's) but as I see it they have not yet had to dip into their local competition to get through.

Wasn't Ben Coridas was pulled from GPS Old Boys?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
People at the Reds have been bleating about how bad their injury list is (and pulling people back from the U20's) but as I see it they have not yet had to dip into their local competition to get through. .

Ian Prior, Jono Lance, Ben Coridas, Caleb Ralph are all from the local competition. I am not sure what you are getting at? We've had to call the likes of Lance and Ralph in because we have Kimani, Morahan and Kuridrani from our Academy with the 20s team. How are we bleating more than anyone else?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wasn't Ben Coridas was pulled from GPS Old Boys?

I thought he was in the wider squad from the start under the same deal as Robinson, but that is a side issue.

Every side manages injury, the best/most important players in the squad are the ones who can play at 80-90% of their potential while wounded.

Some can, some simply can't.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
All the franchises have had their injury tolls this year and all told the Tahs have probably been hit the hardest. It's not a competition to see who can stagger on with a squad full of black knights

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs biggest issue has been Barnes, if Burgess and Barnes had been able to play all the matches ....................................................... ahh the what ifs .......

To me, it is one of the reasons that the Reds have performed so well despite being knocked around as well, is because Cooper and Genia have been there pretty well, week in, week out, with that allowing a consistent structure and direction.

The Tahs have had Barnes, Beale and Hangers

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tahs biggest issue has been Barnes, if Burgess and Barnes had been able to play all the matches ahh the what ifs .......To me, it is one of the reasons that the Reds have performed so well despite being knocked around as well, is because Cooper and Genia have been there pretty well, week in, week out, with that allowing a consistent structure and direction.....The Tahs have had Barnes, Beale and Hangers

fp, whilst it's not the only factor, there is high truth in what you say as highlighted. These are our joint ringmasters, and, generally, they do their job masterfully. They are the absolute core of the Reds' success this year. The Reds are, potentially, to play 3 more very tough games before the S15 is over, and we can be sure of more injuries sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.