• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, 7.45pm, Sat 8th June, BankWest (Parra) Stadium

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not intended as such, on the contrary I have been trying to explain that I thought it was a generally evenly matched contest and I enjoyed it up until that moment which ruined it for me because had the Tahs been able to score again it was game on. Perhaps Learning Curve has explained it but it certainly didn’t look to be the case and I’m hoping to get another look at it.

Otherwise I enjoyed it and I thought there was some good individual performances from both sides, however I realise it’s beyond the scope of yourself and BR to give credit to any Tahs players. Brumbies are a better coached side and the Tahs make too many mistakes but man on man there isn’t much between the sides,

KOB, I am a little your way of thinking. I was nervous as hell before the game but that first half really soothed those nerves. The Tahs did fight back in the second half, but overall the Brumbies were better and earned their win.

As far as the Banks knock on is concerned, I similarly thought there was a small knock on by the Tahs in the ruck that led to Rona's try at the end. Maybe a case of cancelling each other out?

On the question of who stood up and who dominated, clearly the Tahs forward pack wasn't a match for the Brumbies, in every aspect of the game not just the rolling maul. Hooper was again himself and will be the Wallaby No 7 if Poey doesn't make it back to his best. Keps should be the No 5 prop based on his better form last night and over the year than Robertson. Otherwise, none of the Tahs pack should be in the squad. Even Carter outplayed Simmons last night and he won't be in the mix at all.

Powell and Lealiifano outplayed Phipps and Foley as they have done for the majority of the year. The centres belonged to Simone and Kuridrani, but Simone won't make it to the Wallabies for some time yet I feel. Pulu had his best game for the Brumbies to date and along with Rona were the picks of the wingers. Both should make the Wallaby squad. Banks has been consistently the best No 15 in the country over the second half of the Super season. Experience will probably count against him for a starting Wallaby spot.

Overall the Tahs didn't do too much to hurt their selection chances, certainly not like the Rebels. I think though that a few peripheral Brumbies players are doing everything right to enhance their prospects.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have only seen bits and pieces of the last couple of Brumbies games but I would be interested on the thoughts on Simone.

From what I have seen he seems to have finally found his feet and looks to be even showing signs of a the player who could excel
at this level that a lot of us hoped he might become.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have only seen bits and pieces of the last couple of Brumbies games but I would be interested on the thoughts on Simone.

From what I have seen he seems to have finally found his feet and looks to be even showing signs of a the player who could excel
at this level that a lot of us hoped he might become.

I've said some harsh things about Simone, Lilo and Speight this year........... and recently they've forced me to eat my words, and I couldn't be happier.

Simone has been quite good the last few weeks - he's always had the skills, but now finally seems to be playing simpler, smarter rugby.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I've said some harsh things about Simone, Lilo and Speight this year..... and recently they've forced me to eat my words, and I couldn't be happier.

Simone has been quite good the last few weeks - he's always had the skills, but now finally seems to be playing simpler, smarter rugby.
I think being dropped helped him

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He was a great pickup, same with Tom Wright who I think is one for the future, possible a wing fullback role as he is very individual at the moment.

Simone is still young. Best years ahead.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As an aside, I just decided to investigate Dan Mackellar's background. He's got a relatively obscure resume when compared to the other Aussie soup coaches, but a purely domestic one. He's doing something right though, could be one to watch for the top job eventually.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Speak for yourself (or at least for the Tahs) Gnostic. Apart from missing the finals last year, the Brumbies have made it to the playoffs most years since about 2012 or 13. Some years their form has been not so good but this year they have beaten two NZ sides and Three SA teams. I think they have earned their spot and they are playing pretty good rugby most of the time in the second half of the season. They don't look broken to me.

Yet if you look at the results in those finals from all those years BR they support my view that the Australian Conference is really the second division. That because of the structure of the competition the only reason an Australian side has made the finals at outside of the outlier years of 2011 Reds and 2014 Tahs.

The Brumbies have outperformed at times this year and have played some great Rugby, they are without any doubt the best of the second division by far.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
As an aside, I just decided to investigate Dan Mackellar's background. He's got a relatively obscure resume when compared to the other Aussie soup coaches, but a purely domestic one. He's doing something right though, could be one to watch for the top job eventually.

Coached in Japan for a while I believe before coming to the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yet if you look at the results in those finals from all those years BR they support my view that the Australian Conference is really the second division. That because of the structure of the competition the only reason an Australian side has made the finals at outside of the outlier years of 2011 Reds and 2014 Tahs.

The Brumbies have outperformed at times this year and have played some great Rugby, they are without any doubt the best of the second division by far.

One of the years the Chiefs won, 2012 or 2013, the Brumbies led the final until late in the game after beating the Bulls in SA. Wasn't just the competition structure that got them to the final.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Coached in Japan for a while I believe before coming to the Brumbies.

From Wikipedia:

Coaching career
McKellar was a premier grade assistant coach at Souths Rugby Club in Brisbane in 2007,[7] and the head coach from 2008 to 2010.[3] He was appointed as coaching director and head coach of the Tuggeranong Vikings Rugby Club in Canberra for seasons 2011 and 2012 which included back to back premierships in premier grade. He also set up the professional rugby academy at the Vikings Club.[3] In February 2013, McKellar moved to Japan to take up a position as forwards coach of Top League team NTT DoCoMo Red Hurricanes.

Returning to Canberra, he signed with the Brumbies as the club's defence and skills coach for the 2014 Super Rugby season.[3] After the launch of the National Rugby Championship, he was appointed as head coach of the University of Canberra Vikings team to play in the new competition.[1]

McKellar was appointed as head coach of the Brumbies for the 2018 season following Stephen Larkham's departure.[8]

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I've said some harsh things about Simone, Lilo and Speight this year..... and recently they've forced me to eat my words, and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah he never got a go at the Tahs. Im happy for him.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah he never got a go at the Tahs. Im happy for him.

i remember him having a couple of goes at it, but he just didnt click the same way he has down in canberra.

not sure what that means though? different system/environment? motivation after not getting the recognition at the tahs?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
i remember him having a couple of goes at it, but he just didnt click the same way he has down in canberra.

not sure what that means though? different system/environment? motivation after not getting the recognition at the tahs?

nah you're overthinking it. He was understudy to Beale (at the time) and then they signed Hunt so it was always going to be hard for him to get a crack. Brumbies needed to fill a hole so it was a mutually beneficial decision.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

They gave him a few cracks and then ditched him for Horwitz, before he could adjust to Super rugby.

It took him time to get going at the Brumbies as well, they just gave him the time he needed.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
He was a great pickup, same with Tom Wright who I think is one for the future, possible a wing fullback role as he is very individual at the moment.

Simone is still young. Best years ahead.

Simone impressed me a great deal when he was at Norths in the Sydney Premier comp. Never quite kicked on at the Tahs. Awesome to see him striving at the Brumbies. A player I believe can get to the next level. talent and skills a plenty! Keep Going Simone!