• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies trial in Mudgee

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Waratahs Squad – Mudgee Trial
1. Tom Robertson
2. Hugh Roach
3. David Lolohea
4. Ned Hanigan
5. Senio Toleafoa
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Brad Wilkin
8. Michael Wells
9. Jake Gordon
10. Mack Mason
11. Harry Jones
12. David Horwitz
13. Irae Simone
14. Reece Robinson
15. Bryce Hegarty
16. Tolu Latu
17. Damien Fitzpatrick
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Sam Needs
20. David McDuling
21. Matt Lucas
22. Andrew Deegan
23. Andrew Kellaway
27. Ryan McCauley
28. Jamason Schultz
30. Con Foley
31. Maclean Jones

We will also have some people at the game who will do the match report (and take a few snaps) for us, so check out the front page afterwards.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies

1. Nic MAYHEW
2. Josh MANN-REA
3. Leslie LEULUA’IALI’I-MAKIN
4. Rory ARNOLD
5. Sam CARTER
6. Scott FARDY
7. Chris ALCOCK
8. Lolo FAKAOSILEA
9. Tomas CUBELLI
10. Wharenui HAWERA
11. James DARGAVILLE
12. Kyle GODWIN
13. Tevita KURIDRANI
14. Henry SPEIGHT
15. Aidan TOUA
REPLACEMENTS
16. Robbie ABEL
17. Faalelei SIONE
18. Ben ALEXANDER
19. Blake ENEVER
20. Jordan SMILER
21. Joe POWELL
22. Jordan JACKSON-HOPE
23. Tom BANKS
2. Saia FAINGA’A
4. Tom STANIFORTH
7. Tom CUSACK
8. Ben HYNE
10. Isaac THOMPSON
11. Nigel AH WONG
13. Andrew SMITH
14. Andrew MUIRHEAD

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs have certainly taken in a far weaker team in terms of their overall squad compared to the Brumbies.

With the 10s squad announced, the core Wallabies will just play the one trial against the Highlanders by the look of things.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
STARTING XV
1. Nic MAYHEW
2. Josh MANN-REA
3. Leslie LEULUA’IALI’I
4. Rory ARNOLD
5. Sam CARTER
6. Scott FARDY
7. Chris ALCOCK
8. Lolo FAKAOSILEA
9. Tomas CUBELLI
10. Wharenui HAWERA
11. James DARGAVILLE
12. Kyle GODWIN
13. Tevita KURIDRANI
14. Henry SPEIGHT
15. Aidan TOUA

REPLACEMENTS
16. Robbie ABEL
17. Faalelei SIONE
18. Ben ALEXANDER
19. Blake ENEVER
20. Jordan SMILER
21. Joe POWELL
22. Jordan JACKSON-HOPE
23. Tom BANKS
2. Saia FAINGA’A
4. Tom STANIFORTH
7. Tom CUSACK
8. Ben HYNE
10. Isaac THOMPSON
11. Nigel AH WONG
13. Andrew SMITH
14. Andrew MUIRHEAD

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies do look to have put a stronger squad out than the Tahs have, but a lot will depend again on how well Hawera can get the backline moving. It was a promising outing last week, but the Tahs can be expected to be a tougher proposition.

One observation about the Tahs' backline. Almost to a man they are really on the smaller side compared with recent experience there and elsewhere.

Mason, Jones, Horwitz, Hegarty, Deegan and Kellaway are almost peas in a pod, size-wise. Over the course of the Super Rugby season, they might need to demonstrate superior skills to compensate?

Izzy will add some size when he's back. Any others to look out for?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To be honest BJ, I am surprised at how many of the Wallabies are in the squad for this trial. I'd have thought the starting side and reserves from last week would have largely been rotated with the 10s being the main hit out for the Wallabies. Still, I'll be happy if they play with some of last week's endeavour and remain injury-free.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
One observation about the Tahs' backline. Almost to a man they are really on the smaller side compared with recent experience there and elsewhere.

Mason, Jones, Horwitz, Hegarty, Deegan and Kellaway are almost peas in a pod, size-wise.

Jones is 187cm 100 kg. That's pretty big by most standards.

Sent from my FairPhone

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Also Simone is 193cm 106 kg. So the back line isn't so small.

Sent from my FairPhone

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brumbies do look to have put a stronger squad out than the Tahs have, but a lot will depend again on how well Hawera can get the backline moving. It was a promising outing last week, but the Tahs can be expected to be a tougher proposition.

Mason, Jones, Horwitz, Hegarty, Deegan and Kellaway are almost peas in a pod, size-wise. Over the course of the Super Rugby season, they might need to demonstrate superior skills to compensate?

Izzy will add some size when he's back. Any others to look out for?

Mason, Jones, Hegarty and Deegan are incredibly unlikely to actually start a real super rugby game this season unless there is a plane crash.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Also Simone is 193cm 106 kg. So the back line isn't so small.

Sent from my FairPhone

Yeah - I deliberately left Simone out of the equation as I am aware that he is a bigger unit, and very promising too. I wasn't aware that Adams was 100kg, but apart from those two, the rest look to be quite small by usual Super Rugby standards.

Is it a trend? It does look to me that at least in relation to the No 10 spot, selectors and coaches seem to be favouring the smaller player like Mason, McIntyre and Deegan lately. Deegan looked pretty good in the NRC last year, but I don't think any of these three will consistently start at Super Rugby level.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is a trend, the Kiwi sides have a greater focus on skills, speed and workrate; their big units only really succeed if they have them and seem to come with that instilled earlier

We seem to seem to too often go first for the big wrecking ball who then gets found out when they reach a decent standard.

Then they either work on it and improve their weaknesses or disappear; the Tahs have a couple of notables in that criteria

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Foley goes down, who will replace him?
I thought Hegarty was next in line?

Depending on how he returns from injury I'd say that is pretty likely.

Hegarty has to be a pretty good chance of being in the best matchday 23. He covers a couple of positions (mostly 10 and 15) and has plenty of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.