• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Cheetahs, Round 11, 7 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Tahs have to scurry back from Safferland, the Cheetahs a gentle roll down the coast from Brisbane. Will the travel hamstring the Tahs? Are the Cheetahs homesick for their beloved high veldt?

Only a few home games left, 'bout time we had a decent pre-match session for the G&GR faithful.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not sure I like the word "hamstring". We have managed to avoid some of the soft tissue problems that the other teams have had (eg Rebels) through our good S&C program. Please don't put the mockers on it.

This should be easy money, except that the Cheetahs are our bogey team (along with a certain South Island franchise that we have to visit in a few weeks). They should be homesick by now, this is their third straight game away in Australia before they go back to have a go at the hapless Kings. Not sure why they had to play away three times against the Aussie teams, maybe the draw just got so complicated they couldn't engineer a 2-home-2-away split. They'll be spewing over that but it serves them right, they engineered this dog's breakfast.

I would like to see Lucas start this week to give Phipps a rest, we don't lose very much with this swap and he has definitely deserved a chance. Phipps can ride the pine and come on early if we need a lift.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure why they had to play away three times against the Aussie teams, maybe the draw just got so complicated they couldn't engineer a 2-home-2-away split. They'll be spewing over that but it serves them right, they engineered this dog's breakfast.

Depending on their conference, the South African teams either play the 5 Australian teams or 5 New Zealand teams.

It is luck of the draw whether they get 3 home games or 3 away games out of those 5. Presumably the teams that had 3 away games this year will get 3 home games next year.

The Australian teams play 6 games against Aussie teams, 5 against NZ teams and 4 against one SA conference.

NZ do the same except switch Aussie and NZ.

SA play 6 games in their own conference, 4 against the other conference and 5 games against either the Australian or NZ conference.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs should win one easy !!!!!

Tahs Scrum has improved and the Cheetahs are still going backwards after the Reds scrum belted them.

Backline to carve 'em up

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Depending on their conference, the South African teams either play the 5 Australian teams or 5 New Zealand teams.

It is luck of the draw whether they get 3 home games or 3 away games out of those 5. Presumably the teams that had 3 away games this year will get 3 home games next year.

The Australian teams play 6 games against Aussie teams, 5 against NZ teams and 4 against one SA conference.

NZ do the same except switch Aussie and NZ.

SA play 6 games in their own conference, 4 against the other conference and 5 games against either the Australian or NZ conference.

Had been wondering about the Sharks having three straight games in NZ over the past three weeks, but that explains it very clearly.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
looking forward to this game, i think it will be pretty tight as the cheetahs will fancy taking us on up front.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect the Tahs will win this, and start a run that will take them to a place in the finals!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs team
1. Paddy Ryan (70 caps)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (134 caps)
3. Tom Robertson (6 caps)
4. David Dennis (VC – 100 caps)
5. Will Skelton (46 caps)
6. Dean Mumm (94 caps)
7. Michael Hooper (C – 89 caps)
8. Jed Holloway (12 caps)
9. Nick Phipps (90 caps)
10. Bernard Foley (70 caps)
11. Rob Horne (95 caps)
12. Kurtley Beale (122 caps)
13. Israel Folau (53 caps)
14. Reece Robinson (6 caps
15. Andrew Kellaway (4 caps)
Reserves:16. Hugh Roach (14 caps)17. Jeremy Tilse (53 caps)18. Angus Ta'avao (56 caps)19. Sam Lousi (11 caps)20. Wycliff Palu (128 caps)21. Matt Lucas (20 caps)22. David Horwitz (7 caps)23. Matt Carraro (48 caps)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/w...s-training-20160504-gomppv.html#ixzz47kV9ezAI
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I wonder how many caps TPN missed with injury?

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how many caps TPN missed with injury?

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

I reckon the Tahs have played roughly 150 Super Rugby games since he debuted in 2006 so overall I think he's done pretty well.

Having only played 61 tests is where he's missed out a lot due to injury. He actually made his test debut before his Super Rugby debut.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon the Tahs have played roughly 150 Super Rugby games since he debuted in 2006 so overall I think he's done pretty well.

Having only played 61 tests is where he's missed out a lot due to injury. He actually made his test debut before his Super Rugby debut.

yup. He debuted November 2005 and since then the Wallabies have played 140 tests

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I doubt we'll accommodate them by keeping it there.

Its the Cheetahs. Their scrum has improved from a low base but you're talking about a team that dished up the Stormers up front! And I am more and more impressed with Robertson each week. Who knew he would be this good this quick!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I am more and more impressed with Robertson each week. Who knew he would be this good this quick?

Tom was an outstanding schoolboy rugby player, he stood out even for one playing prop with the under 19 Laws. He's been effective at grade level against gnarled old club props. But, I'm with you, Hawko, to be so effective so quickly is heartening.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and I've managed to hold back on my impulse to change my tips for this game.

Tahs should still do it without those guys

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And possibly Folau - or is he OK to play

He is confirmed as playing. Had a run today.

It seems like Holloway is in substantial doubt for tomorrow. Hopefully he hasn't done anything too serious.

Touch wood it doesn't sound like TPN is in too much doubt although maybe it will see Roach revert to the starting side and TPN on the bench again.

Status
Not open for further replies.