• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders, semi-final, Saturday 27 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If your lineout is average, there's no reason for a team to do anything else than kick to the sideline all the time. The Highlanders did it and rode the wave in the second half.

Completely killed any momentum the Tahs could get.

They must have got the inside on the calls because they had more idea where they were going than we did. On the other hand knowing the calls may mean you expect it to go somewhere other than where it was going.
o_O

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh, and congrats Highlanders. By far the better team on the night, and the second best team in the regular season.

There's been a few games recently where the Tahs have been hammered on possession, but the Highlanders have been the best at having the right game plan and the dangerous players (the Smiths, Naholo, etc) to take advantage of it.

Tahs not quite where they were last year, but it's still a good year overall for them I think.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
No surprises with the result. Waratahs knew they were in trouble when the Brumbies beat the Stormers.

2 best teams in the final. The Canes should win comfortably but you never know what nerves can do!

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Pretty one sided game (true for both games actually). From a neutral perspective i think the penalty try was right (JacPot's tackle did stop the try) but the yellow card wrong. It may have been a high tackle but I really don't think it was malicious, did no damage and the guy was falling down anyway.

Edit: Your commentators are still better than Stuart Barnes and co that we have over here in England. Not sure why your crowd were booing the Highlanders so much. They didn't go there to just make up numbers!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Cracker of a game. Will I be in possession of a shiny new avatar at the end? Too close to call but I am hopeful.

Well done teach! I'll adjust my settings shortly.

I'm not bitter at all because at no stage did the Tahs deserve to win that game. But that call on Potgeiter set a new low for pathetic refereeing. Even Kafer was on the Tahs side.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pretty one sided game (true for both games actually). From a neutral perspective i think the penalty try was right (JacPot's tackle did stop the try) but the yellow card wrong. It may have been a high tackle but I really don't think it was malicious, did no damage and the guy was falling down anyway.

has to be yellow - see earlier posts

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Couldn't post during the game as I was getting a live feed and had it going through to the tv. Can't expect to win a semi final if you don't have a lineout.
The nobodies held their own against the much vaunted waratah pack. Could be a worry for Cheika.
Well done lads!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So the highlanders watched the tape of the Brumbies first game v Tahs and executed it.

Or the two Force games, or the Stormers game.

I am very disappointed that the Tahs have not developed and improved on the fundamental flaws that were present in their game last year. Kicking from hand is woeful generally. We have two players in the backline that have played 15 for the Wallabies and they couldn't kick the skin off a rice custard, the incumbent Wallaby 10 that is inconsistent at best (and I'm being generous there). It doesn't take a brain surgeon (or a dick doctor :) ) to work out how to combat the Tahs. Kick for the corner and work on your lineout work - A LOT, and defend like they usually do.

In that case what do the Tahs do to get out of their half, or even attack? Not a hell of a lot if the Force x2, Brumbies x 1 and Stomers games show anything. So the Highlanders had the blueprint and they executed it well.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
How good was A.Smith? Would be close to first pick in a World 15. Well done Highlanders and I hope they can take in to the Canes and make the final a cracker.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Couldn't post during the game as I was getting a live feed and had it going through to the tv. Can't expect to win a semi final if you don't have a lineout.
The nobodies held their own against the much vaunted waratah pack. Could be a worry for Cheika.
Well done lads!

Same, I was 7 minutes behind. So here's my new guise, how do I look?

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
has to be yellow - see earlier posts

Oh I get the legalities. I just think it seems harsh still. However, really doubt it made a huge difference to the final result. Highlanders were in charge of the game by then, even if not on the scoreboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.