• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs V Reds July 13 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
At the game it was announced that there were 26,035.

Seemed to be plenty of Reds supporters in the area I was in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Sydney Olympic Park Trust had better be stumping up some decent dollars to play the games out there instead of at Moore Park.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And the 2 biggest home crowds for the Waratahs have been at Homebush this year. I prefer the SFS, but we had 15-18,000 there this year and 25 & 26 at Homebush. No point people saying how bad Homebush is if they won't go to the SFS.

Last night was a complete anti-climax for the Super season, which is what you'd expect after the build-up for the Lions and having half the teams away on Wallaby duties.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I thought Rob Simmons really stood up in the absence of Horwill, outplaying his wallaby competition in the light blue. Made some good runs and was pivotal in the Reds lineout heavy gameplan.
He always steps up when he actually has to perform, when he has to make decisions or is about to get dropped and is under pressure he performs.

He needs to find a way to motivate himself and he will be a great player

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would prefer it if Cheika didn't whine about the refs so much. He's done it a few times this year and it doesn't come across well.

In a rugby league dominated State, it comes across just fine :)

Not a fan of it myself and given it was the last game of the season also and didn't cost them a place in the finals was probably even more unnecessary.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Would prefer it if Cheika didn't whine about the refs so much. He's done it a few times this year and it doesn't come across well.

Yeah but Ulugia's card was rubbish; and then the ref couldn't/wouldn't card him when he should have been

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Cheika sounds like he is whining even when he is speaking positively about something. So when he actually does whine, the effect is accentuated.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cheika sounds like he is whining even when he is speaking positively about something. So when he actually does whine, the effect is accentuated.

Agree. I was never a fan of Cheika and am still not convinced. Media have given him an easy run this year on the back of a better style of losing.

The game on Saturday night was appalling. Sat with a host of long suffering Tahs fans - one who read her book rather than watch the game - and I don't think any of them were swayed but the media soft touch for CHeika. Anyway next year he has no more excuses and if they don't make the semis then he should go the way of all the other Tahs coaches.

Re the Ulugia tackle decision - that was a joke. Walsh got it wrong and Ayoub who was the third umpire stuffed it up as well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tough uncompromising match - typical between NSW and QLD.

So much to play for including catching the "eye" of McKenzie.

QC (Quade Cooper) good but not as dominant as I would have thought.
Rob Simmons had a great game as did Finger. Samo from the bench showed he really is only 37 and not 45.
Slipper dominated Robbo and deserved MOTM
Cannot believe the yellow card and thankfully it did not impact very much on the result. Just a poor poor call from Walsh. IF a yellow card was to be contemplated then the punch on Quirk later in the game was a possible.

Anyway, to have 2 Aussie teams in the finals is terrific.

something

Jim Clark (26)
cant believe more people aren't criticising that last play from Barnes'. Or did everyone just expect it haha... i remember when he darted back inside i was thinking "here we go...again"

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, the YC was BS.

Whining about the ref' is a different matter -- it smacks of sour grapes.

D

daz

Agree. I was never a fan of Cheika and am still not convinced. Media have given him an easy run this year on the back of a better style of losing.

To be honest, I think Cheika (Tahs) and Foley (Force) should be given the benefit of the doubt as first year coaches in their respective new teams.

Give them a year to assess their squad, buy/sell their own players (rather than inheriting someone else's player) and implement their own gameplan.

Second year is where the scrutiny should come, with the heat (if required) cranking up in the third year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
except for lions tests, and the occasional bledisloe. Also Bon Jovi concerts, if that's your thing.
Love Bon Jovi.
While there was about 25,000 at game which is a terrific number for the Tahs the bloody stadium is just so big it doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere as do the smaller grounds including Suncorp. Have never been to SFS - what is its capacity and wonder why more Tahs games are not played there ???

Status
Not open for further replies.