• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Samoa Trial - Tamworth - 10th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Team details for the Tahs plus some other comments have been posted on the Waratahs thread but I thought that a separate thread was warranted.

NSW Waratahs first-half team: Brackin Karauria-Henry, Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Tom Carter, Tom Kingston, Berrick Barnes (c), Sarel Pretorius, Pat McCutcheon, Chris Alcock, Dave Dennis Kane Douglas, Dean Mumm, Paddy Ryan, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu.

NSW Waratahs second-half team: Toby Browne, Nathan Trist, Michael Hodge, Bernard Foley, Peter Betham, Daniel Halangahu (c), Brendan McKibbin, Lopeti Timani, Seilala Lam, Tevita Metuisela, Greg Peterson, Richard Stanford, John Ulugia, Damien Fitzpatrick, Jeremy Tilse.

Reserves: Lotu Taukeiaho, Liam Winton, Jono Jenkins, Grayson Hart, Jesse Leota, Tom Hill.

Not available:

Elsom - hamstring - is doing light running only.
Palu - hamstring - seems to be running freely, but obviously he's not 100% yet.
Robinson - knee - also seems to be running freely, but obviously not up to a full load yet.
S. Timani - Japan - available for Rd. 2
Mitchell - ankle - ??
Pakalani - knee - ??
Vickerman - ???

The 1st half team seems to be the main team minus the guys not available. It's interesting that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is being rested and BKH is being trialled at fullback, a position I've never seen him play before. Kingston is on the wing. The choice between Alcock and McCutcheon is postponed as Cutch will play in his school position at 8.

Most of the fellows not in the contracted 35 players have been training with the Tahs.

With only 7 players from the top 30 in it, the 2nd half team is nothing to write home about, but it will be good to see some of the lesser known players in action.

I think I'll head off to Tamworth to watch this.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A couple of interesting ex Force backrowers around the fringes there

Richard Stanford, Jono Jenkins & Tevita Metuisela

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If you're playing two completely different teams in the same game, why on earth would you need reserves??

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They've probably been training together this week as 2 separate XVs to get some cohesion. I expect that the reserves will cover both XVs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I will be sweating on how the second team plays even though I know that many of them are outside the 35 squad. I reckon Seilala Lam, Jonno Jenkins and Peter Betham are unlucky not to have contracts somewhere. I would love to have seen Taukeiaho get a run, but I guess they didn't think Tilse could cover THP.

I notice that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not listed but I didn't think he had an injury? Any background? I do hope Pakalani is close to starting, wing is potentially quite thin.

This shows just how lean the squads are, even with the five extra in the EPS. From your list only eight players from the thirty are unavailable and yet we have some real issues putting the first team together:
  1. BKH at fullback? Probably out of necessity or maybe we are trialling something. I'm surprised Bernard Foley didn't get the spot though. Talk was he was signed as a back-up 10/12/15.
  2. McCutcheon is not really an 8 in Super rugby, he doesn't have the size or the impact. I really wanted to see him head to head against Alcock, I'm not convinced either is a top class fetcher yet, but if Dennis goes to 8 then Metuisela or Peterson have to be pulled up to the top team.
  3. Late edit. Just noticed Kepu is playing LHP. Not sure what to make of this.
Last year we had more than eight first choicers out in the semi-final, this I think is our first view into just how skinny we might get later in the season. If I was Foley I'd keep every one of those extra players training with the squad right on through to the finals.

If G&GR's are going to Tamworth please file multiple reports so we get a broad cross-section of views.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I notice that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not listed but I didn't think he had an injury? Any background? I do hope Pakalani is close to starting, wing is potentially quite thin.
No injury that I am aware of, but still interesting that he is getting rested.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
There seems to be quite a few guys playing who aren't squad or eps. Why play these guys? Just in case of. Injuries later in season or to avoid injuries to key players?

Cyril Towers (30)
As a local, I'll be there. The local rugby community is very pumped up about this. It's an excellent thing for rugby in the North West. Game pretty much sold out already (that's about 5,000 tickets) which isn't bad in a town of 50,000.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Swat

They're just playing by invitation and a lot of them have trained with the Tahs already.

But that doesn't answer your question. Once the decision was made to play two separate XVs you needed 30 players plus some reserves. Hence the 36 players. Since a few Tahs were injured, one unavailable and one rested, extra players were needed.

They could have had players play 3 quarters instead of 2 and used nobody outside the 35, or used the 2nd half players to be reserves for the 1st half players - and vice versa - but they decided not to.

I'm guessing that, in this longest season, they want to minimise the numbers of minutes each player plays, real early.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks lee, I can always rely on you for an answer. Also, what's the meaning of life?

N

Newter

Whatever happened to Hugh Perrett? He was a tough little man playing 8 at the end of last season. Tons of energy to make up for his small size.

N

Newter

Team details for the Tahs plus some other comments have been posted on the Waratahs thread but I thought that a separate thread was warranted.

NSW Waratahs first-half team: Brackin Karauria-Henry, Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Tom Carter, Tom Kingston, Berrick Barnes (c), Sarel Pretorius, Pat McCutcheon, Chris Alcock, Dave Dennis Kane Douglas, Dean Mumm, Paddy Ryan, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu.

Not happy with this. It may be the professional era and no doubt the Tahs have improved a few banana-benders who come south, but if the jersey means anything we shouldn't be doing this. Give the captaincy to a New South Welshman ffs.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not happy with this. It may be the professional era and no doubt the Tahs have improved a few banana-benders who come south, but if the jersey means anything we shouldn't be doing this. Give the captaincy to a New South Welshman ffs.

Sorry newter, can't agree with that. In the age of professional rugby I think u have to give it to the best leader no matter where they're from. If pretorius was the best option I'd be happy for him to captain. Plus it's a trial, the rock is captain for the regular season.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Are many of those players new recruits or are from outside the 35 man squad, because I don't really recognize many of their names.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Are many of those players new recruits or are from outside the 35 man squad, because I don't really recognize many of their names.

I'm happy to say 2 of them are close mates. If they ever make the run on or eps I'll try to tee up an exclusive interview for the blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.