• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Tonga Trial - SFS - Friday 17th February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just starting a new thread for the trial.

Here is the Tahs team which was posted in the Tahs 2012 thread:

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
7. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), vice captain
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
9. Sarel Pretorius (N/A)
10. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University), captain
11. Brackin Karauria-Henry (Southern Districts)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
13. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
14. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)

Waratahs XV to contest last two quarters
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Richard Stanford (Eastern Suburbs)*
5. Greg Peterson (Manly)
6. Tevita Metuisela (Manly)
7. Chris Alcock (Eastwood)
8. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), vice captain
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), captain
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)*
12. Toby Browne (Randwick)*
13. Michael Hodge (Sydney University)*
14. Nathan Trist (Sydney University)
15. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)

Replacements
16. John Ulugia (Southern Districts)
17. Lotu Taukeiaho (Randwick)
18. Liam Winton (Sydney University)*
19. Seilala Lam (Randwick)*
20. Grayson Hart (Southern Districts)
21. Jesse Leota (Parramatta)*
22. Tom Hill (Gordon)*
* Invited player

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
And now - just copying a post of mine from the Tahs thread - don't know how to move it in the new format

As Hawkeye mentioned in the Tahs thread: it looks like McCutcheon has a lead in the 7s race against Alcock. He is not an explosive runner like Alcock but he reads the play defensively better. He played well against Samoa, albeit at 8 and against a weak team. It does not surprise me that he is vice-captain: as I have said a few times: he is a natural skipper.

Benn Robinson comes into start at LHP, as one mentioned before, and Kepu moves over to THP. This is a bit of a shame as I would have liked to have seen Ryan start in the main team again. He was bloody impressive in Tamworth. Mumm and Douglas continue their undeclared war for precedence when either Vickerman or Timani, or both, come back.

Palu starts and we will have our fingers crossed for him. Alcock drops to the Twos to accommodate him, and McCutcheon moves to 7.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) replaces Turner and BKH moves to the wing so AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can play fullback, as expected.

In the Twos Foley moves to 15 as part of a disaster plan, and swaps with Browne, who goes to 12. THP Ryan moves into the XV and Ulugia becomes the only contracted player in the reserves.

8. Lopeti T will be trying to have another storming game in a bid to become part of a disaster plan if Cliffy gets crocked again.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
8. Lopeti T will be trying to have another storming game in a bid to become part of a disaster plan if Cliffy gets crocked again.

This is the battle I'm interested in most. It's been a while since the Tahs have had a fully fit, barnstorming no 8.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
And now - just copying a post of mine from the Tahs thread - don't know how to move it in the new format

What I would do, LG, is go across to the Tahs' thread, hit "Reply" on your post, highlight what you want to use and then "copy" it. You then go over to this thread, open a new reply and then click "paste". Job done.

When you get to our age range, LG, it should not be considered conceit to quote yourself. if anyone objects just ignore them; it's what the young have been doing to me for the past couple of decades.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You misunderstand me. As a mod I used to be able to lift a post, or a number of posts, from a thread to another thread, or to a new thread, without having to copy anything. I could merge two threads too - but I haven't quite worked out how to do all that in this set up.

Maybe I will ask kind Moses and he will give me a few tablets of wisdom.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
You misunderstand me. As a mod I used to be able to lift a post, or a number of posts, from a thread to another thread, or to a new thread, without having to copy anything. I could merge two threads too - but I haven't quite worked out how to do all that in this set up.

Aha, LG, that puts a new perspective on things. Being a "mod" means that you exist in a stratospheric realm beyond the ken of us earthlings.

If I remember correctly mods used to ride motor scooters and were renowned for amphetamine-fuelled all-night dancing at clubs. I don't know whether this still applies, but in the period I am talking about, in Wollongong we drove bomb cars shit-faced and rather than dancing all night we stood up at the bar and were thrown out at 10 o'clock.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
OK Sully I'll try that moving your post.

PS It didn't work - I had the same problem I had before - a post can only be moved to a new thread, not an existing one. So I could have moved the first post from somewhere else to start this thread, but I couldn't have moved the 2nd post to this thread from somewhere else.

So when I tried to move your post I had to start a new thread which I zapped.

Sorry about this everybody else but this is the only way for numbskulls like me to learn.

I still have trouble with the dishwasher and my wife reckons I'm not trying. Then if I'm out of her line of sight, I smile.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Damien Fitzpatrick is now playing in the first half team as TPN is being rested after suffering muscle soreness after last week's trial.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Damien Fitzpatrick is now playing in the first half team as TPN is being rested after suffering muscle soreness after last week's trial.

Muscle soreness! I get that after 50k on the bike. Its gone by 24-72 hours depending on how hard I've gone. Wish they'd be more honest about injury reporting.

Last year TPN was struggling from about game 3 with injury and his performance went downhill to such an extent that without the hairstyle I would not have recognised him at the WC. Missing a trial with "muscle soreness" is not a good look one week out from the start of the season. I guess we just have to hope Fitzy really steps up this season and thank the gods we chose three hookers in our 30.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A lot of the Tahs hopes this season would seem to rest on how fit players like TPN, Palu and Elsom can remain from week to week.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
From my spot on the sideline at SFS I can see Drew Mitchell in a moonboot and talking about a longer stay on sidelines.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Curtain raiser : Sydney Uni 37 - Samoa 13 (I thinK).

It didn't look like the no.1 Samoa side that played last week but I'll check the names later.

The ref tonight for the main game is Ian Smith.

PS Damien Fitzpatrick moves up to the Ones and John Ulugia moves from the bench to start as hooker for the Twos.

Its interesting that Hugh Roach comes onto the bench to be reserve hooker. I thought he was in the Brumbies stable. Not the last time we will see him play on the SFS methinks.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Tahs stuffed up lineout on Tonga 5M line.

Tahs mongrel Tonga scrum. Ball loose. Pretorius gets ball and scores. Barnes wide conversion 7-0.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ball kicked to Tonga - stuff up under pressure from Kingston. Clear.

Good handling by Tahs from not so good passes:McCutcheon and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - lineout - Tahs maul - Pretorius snipe - ruck - Dennis try - 14-0. Pretorius looks like MOTM for the first 12 minutes.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Tahs monster Tonga scrum - Dennis - picks up - Pretorius snipes again - he's everywhere - good run Douglas - Tahs stuff up lineout after getting ball.

Sam. scrum Fat Cat drives and Tahs ball - 90 degrees - PK Tahs from reset - Tahs take scrum - Tahs scrum so dominant nearly kick the ball forward - ball to Carter - to Horne - try - conversion OK - 21-0 after 29 mins.

Barnes off - doesn't look injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.