• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Vs Bulls Rnd 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
THE WARATAHS will react to their embarrassing loss to the Brumbies by making up to seven changes, including the promotion of Sarel Pretorius and the demotion of Tom Carter, for Friday night's game against the Bulls at Allianz Stadium.
After wasting so many early attacking opportunities in Canberra, the Waratahs selectors have no option but to revamp their midfield, with Daniel Halangahu in contention to replace Carter at inside centre, while Rob Horne will return to outside centre after returning from suspension.
It is understood the Waratahs selectors were pleased with Halangahu's performance off the bench last weekend, believing he can provide better support for five-eighth Berrick Barnes, who played a more direct game, regularly attacking the gainline with ball in hand. Halangahu's involvement will give the Waratahs two midfield distributors.
Advertisement: Story continues below
After starting five games on the reserves bench Pretorius, the Waratahs' marquee overseas signing, is due for a recall to the starting line-up at the expense of Brendan McKibbin, which is not surprising, as the former Cheetahs halfback intimately knows what to expect from their South African opponents. McKibbin - who has provided the Waratahs with consistent goalkicking - and Carter both ran with the backup squad at yesterday's training session at Moore Park.
While fullback Bernard Foley ran yesterday, it remains doubtful he will be available because of his shoulder complaint, and it will be a few days before the selectors know if winger Tom Kingston, who appeared at outside-centre in Canberra, will play due to a hamstring concern.
The Waratahs pack will also have an overhaul. Openside breakaway Chris Alcock returns after having his appendix removed, and captain Rocky Elsom is preparing for his first starting appearance of the season. Although blindside breakaway Dave Dennis was one of the Waratahs' best in Canberra, the selectors know it is time for him to have a break. Although Dennis ran with the team yesterday, and Elsom was among the onlookers, a No.6 personnel change is imminent.
Wallabies hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau is likely to miss the Bulls match after suffering several serious head knocks against the Brumbies. While the Waratahs remain hopeful Polota-Nau will be available, they will not risk him, and John Ulugia was yesterday preparing as if he was about to take over as run-on hooker. A second row alteration is also probable.
Coach Michael Foley said the team yesterday reviewed their 17-point Canberra loss, and it wasn't pleasant. ''We're pretty disappointed by what happened. Then today we reviewed the game and were reminded of some of the things we set up for ourselves in that game and didn't finish off,'' he said.
The Waratahs, nine points behind the Brumbies at the top of the Australian conference, must win their next three encounters - all against South African teams - including two in the republic - to stay in touch. But they know the dangers of looking too far ahead.
''Every team wants to play in the finals, and every team wants to win the competition. Whether those things are a reality for us is not for us to think about right now,'' Foley said.
''We just have to play as well as we can in every game we play. Look at how we started against the Brumbies with the ball in hand - it was very positive. We were challenging and breaking the line. But we didn't finish off those chances. Now it is about creating those opportunities against the Bulls, and this time finishing them off.
''If we start thinking about what's going to happen at the end of the year, we'll take our eye off the ball right now.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/seven-changes-as-tahs-take-bulls-by-the-horn-20120507-1y92v.html#ixzz1uETlaaLt

After watching the bulls defense last week, I made a point of not tipping them for the rest of their tour.
The Waratahs, I thought played with good commitment and had the Brumbies starting to get stressed right up until Speight scored his try. The Brumby mood lifted after that try and the result came on the back of good teamwork. Overall, I expected the brumbies to win but I didn't expect the Waratah backs to be so pedestrian.

The biggest loss this week will be TPN. Without him the strengths of the Waratahs will possibly become weaknesses.
Horne should add some ticker in the backs but I am not a fan of Halangahu.
Waratahs are very hard to assess because of all of these changes.

I am actually going to go against my first reaction to the Rebels / Bulls game and I am going to tip the Bulls. I have assumed that they will plug their leaky defense and, even if they don't, the Waratahs are afraid of the tryline anyway.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Bulls have lost two of our most effective players and the two biggest ball carriers in Dean Greyling and Potgieter on the blind side. HUGE losses.

Defense out wide will be better with Sadie starting at 13. He is over his shoulder issues. Engelbrecht is a winger who played 13 against the Rebels and it showed. He did not know what the fuck was going on.

The defensive problems were mainly due to not making the early tackles and therefore space was created outside and Engelbrecht's poor decision making was exploited . It will be better - can hardly be worse.

Spies had his worst display of the year against the Rebels. He and Potgieter were staring at each other for two of the Rebel tries scored from close range.

Arno Botha should replace Potgieter. His defense in the second half against the Rebels was huge when he came on. Seems a good young'un.

Stegmann might also start. Tackle count will go up with him on the park.

Bulls need to fix defense and discipline and will become a tough team to beat. The ingredients of a grreat team are there. Needs a bit of time.

The Bulls third choice loosehead will start against the Tahs so there is an opportunity as well.

A bridge too far for the youngsters. Tahs should win. Shit, they have to.

A

andyq

Tahs should win. Shit, they have to.

Not sure about that... the Bulls at least were running in tries last week. the Tah's on the other hand... looks like the wheels have come off. Which is not a good thing for Aussie rugby generally or our conference specifically.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I hope I'm wrong but I fear the Waratahs are going to get beaten on Friday night, too many changes in the forwards, TPN out and the backs still in disarray, I feel it will be the end of the season for the Waratahs. What does everyone else think?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think they have a few more games afterwards..

Nah they'll win they always win this type of game at home after two losses.

Bulls are a completely different side on tour when the referee doesn't favor them like at Loftus with a thousand penalties.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
News is that Wynand Olivier won't play due to injured ribs which means the Bulls to start with an untried centre combination. Possibly a Sadie / Englelbrecht combination which is very exciting on attack but hugely suspect on defense.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
News is that Wynand Olivier won't play due to injured ribs which means the Bulls to start with an untried centre combination. Possibly a Sadie / Englelbrecht combination which is very exciting on attack but hugely suspect on defense.

I thought the Venter/Sadie combination showed some promise in the first week or two (?) before Olivier returned from injury. Perhaps it is time to give them another chance?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As soon as Foley's back I'd like to see some radical changes and a backline that looks like: 9. McKibben/Pretorius, 10. Foley, 11. Pakalani, 12. Horne, 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 14. Kingston, 15. Barnes, 22. Halangahu. My reasons are as follows:
  1. All year Barnes has been our first choice 10 and the backline has not once played well. Now you can blame all those around him but I'd bet my last farthing that if Mark Ella had been playing there we would have looked like millionaires. Each week Barnes seems to say to himself "this week I'm going to play X gameplan". Last week it was "I'll run the ball" and it was all that he did. A great flyhalf chooses what to do on instinct, always trying to leave the opposition guessing. At 12 earlier in the season he did not go so well. Barnes needs more time to plan ahead and I would try him at fullback as others have suggested.
  2. Carter isn't playing well. The last two weeks he has been off-song big-time. I've been a great Carter supporter but when he's going badly he has to suffer the same indignities everyone else has to. I suspect its a hangover from being dropped when he was playing really well, but whatever the reason he needs a rest. So, I would bring Horne in one and move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13.
This week with Kingston and Foley not back I'd start the process anyway and play 10. Hangers 11. Betham 12. Horne 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14. Pakalani 15. Barnes. We've seen enough to know now that we have to do something radical - we won't win the comp with the backs playing the way they are. It might or might not work but we know that to leave it as-is will be to guarantee failure.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
The Tahs do seem to lift for the tougher games (except last weekend), but v the Shorks & Crusaders played well..So there's always hope.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
VODACOM BULLS TEAM: Zane Kirchner, Akona Ndungane, Johann Sadie, Francois Venter, Bjorn Basson, Morné Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Pierre Spies (capt), CJ Stander, Deon Stegmann, Juandré Kruger, Flip van der Merwe, Werner Kruger, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Dawie Steyn.

REPLACEMENTS: Willie Wepener, Rayno Gerber, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Arno Botha, Jano Vermaak, Louis Fouché, JJ Engelbrecht.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/super-rugby/news/120508/Bulls_make_changes_for_Waratahs_match

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So he is playing the Venter / Sadie combo. Exciting.

Hopefully with Sadie some of the holes on the outside channel will be plugged.

Happy to see Stegmann back he gives away penalties but he makes a lot of tackles. I like the balance of the loosies more when he plays.

I know little about Dawie Steyn at LH prop other than the fact that he was recruited because of his scrummaging ability.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs beef up back line for Bulls battle

Greg Growden

May 9, 2012

Attacking opportunities … Berrick Barnes, pictured at training yesterday, is determined to be adventurous against the Bulls on Friday. Photo: Steve Christo
THE Waratahs' South African halfback Sarel Pretorius has told his teammates the only way to beat the Bulls is to be physical - and the selectors have responded by bolstering their arsenal for Friday night's game at Allianz Stadium.
While originally considering playing Daniel Halangahu at inside-centre, it now appears Adam Ashley-Cooper will be in the No.12 jumper in a new look Test-quality centre combination with Rob Horne that will improve the team's directness and defensive capabilities.
Halangahu is instead expected to start at fullback, with centre Tom Carter and halfback Brendan McKibbin the major casualties in a reshuffled back line.

Waratahs captain and blindside breakaway Rocky Elsom will also be involved in his first starting game of the season, while back-rower Chris Alcock returns from injury to improve the team's scavenging abilities after they failed to counter the Brumbies No.7 Michael Hooper at the breakdown last Saturday night.
Their biggest casualty upfront is Test hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, who will be rested after suffering several head knocks, with John Ulugia taking over and new signing Josh Mann-Rea coming onto the bench.
While Ashley-Cooper is best known as an outside-centre, winger or fullback, he has played Test football at No.12, and looked extremely comfortable outside five-eighth Berrick Barnes at training yesterday.
The Bulls, who are playing a far more expansive game this season, will also have a new midfield combination, as their Springbok inside-centre Wynand Olivier is doubtful due to a rib injury, prompting a likely Francois Venter-Johann Sadie midfield partnership.
Deon Stegmann is expected to replace the injured Jacques Potgieter in the back row, while Dawie Steyn is scheduled to come in for prop Dean Greyling, who has returned home.
Pretorius, who will return to the Waratahs starting line-up after five games coming off the bench, is familiar with the Bulls style and philosophy, as he hails from the nearby Free State province on the South African highveld. He knows brawn and brain is required to shackle them.
''You just have to match them physically and keep contesting. They are quite structured as well, which is based around kicking in the air. So we just have to protect our wingers, and go from there,'' Pretorius said yesterday.
Thrusting out the chest and going head on was also emphasised by Barnes yesterday.
''You've got to score points to beat the Bulls, because they're a side that once they get inside your 22-metre they are very hard to stop, as they always appear to have 130-kilogram players right across the park. But they've leaked their fair share as well. So we're backing ourselves,'' he said.
Barnes admitted there were a few ''ifs'' surrounding the rejigged Waratahs attack. ''It will be a big test for us to see how we gel, as we only have a few sessions before the Bulls match. Still, we've got to change something because what we've been doing hasn't really been coming to fruition. Hopefully on Friday night we can make it work,'' he said.
Nonetheless, Barnes wants to remain adventurous, especially after being more willing to attack the gain line in Canberra.
''The problem was we'd run from our own half and get to the 50-metre and then turn it over nine times out of 10,'' he said. ''Silly errors cost us, while their pressure at the breakdown … became a turning point.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-beef-up-back-line-for-bulls-battle-20120508-1yb6e.html#ixzz1uJN9Cc4e

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
as they always appear to have 130-kilogram players right across the park

The fantasy continues. Bulls players are not bigger. The pack is quite often lighter than the opposition.

With Stegmann playing this weekend I'd say that will definitely be the case.

Nobody in the bulls pack weighs 130.

C

Cave Dweller

I wonder who will the Stormers fans be cheering for since the Bulls manage to sneak above them.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
As soon as Foley's back I'd like to see some radical changes and a backline that looks like: 9. McKibben/Pretorius, 10. Foley, 11. Pakalani, 12. Horne, 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 14. Kingston, 15. Barnes, 22. Halangahu. My reasons are as follows:
  1. All year Barnes has been our first choice 10 and the backline has not once played well. Now you can blame all those around him but I'd bet my last farthing that if Mark Ella had been playing there we would have looked like millionaires. Each week Barnes seems to say to himself "this week I'm going to play X gameplan". Last week it was "I'll run the ball" and it was all that he did. A great flyhalf chooses what to do on instinct, always trying to leave the opposition guessing. At 12 earlier in the season he did not go so well. Barnes needs more time to plan ahead and I would try him at fullback as others have suggested.
  2. Carter isn't playing well. The last two weeks he has been off-song big-time. I've been a great Carter supporter but when he's going badly he has to suffer the same indignities everyone else has to. I suspect its a hangover from being dropped when he was playing really well, but whatever the reason he needs a rest. So, I would bring Horne in one and move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13.
This week with Kingston and Foley not back I'd start the process anyway and play 10. Hangers 11. Betham 12. Horne 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14. Pakalani 15. Barnes. We've seen enough to know now that we have to do something radical - we won't win the comp with the backs playing the way they are. It might or might not work but we know that to leave it as-is will be to guarantee failure.

Great sum-up of Barnes, he always seems to over-do one thing every game. One week he will kick too much, the next week he won't kick at all but then try the inside ball EVERY TIME. However i do support him as a great 12, as I dont want him to be in charge of the decision making but he does have good skills and IMO he just lacks the ability to control a game like a great 10 should.

I am still confused why the Tahs have not tried the Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) centre pairing. When i heard AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was leaving the Brumbies my first thought was the tahs are now going to have a great international level centre pairing. Foley was looking pretty good at 15, def keen to see more.

Also I have to note that i think putting in Rocky over Dennis is a big mistake. Dennis is playing well, Rocky i dont think will be up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.