• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs - 2011R07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bruce, when I was watching that debacle of the multiple resets, I was hoping for a view of the opposite side, which was where the penalties were arising, as I was not entirely convinced it was any "superior" technique from the Tahs as the scrums were all skewing.

His Ancientness and I were sitting on the side viewing the "opposite side" of the scrum to which Peyper was officiating from, and all we could see was the Chiefs LHP setting up to bore in on the Tahs' hooker. His left leg was planted somewhere over near Surry Hills and he leant over to touch shoulders with his hooker and bored straight in on every scrum. Why the touchie on that side didn't alert the ref we'll never know.

I thought the penalties were being committed on Peyper's side, that's the prop he carded.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Thought the Chiefs were playing silly buggers in the scrum. You could see the loosehead refusing to pack straight on Kepu all night as well. Even got pinged for it

What about that first Tah scrum though for the tighthead? Fuck me Fat cat and Mumm put some pressure through, the tight head was flying. Hopefully a sign of Robbo regaining some form

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
What a horrible game to watch I thought. Esp as I was going for the Chiefs. Here's my $0.02

1. I really like Beale at 10. With more time there he could be the most devastating 10 in the world. (Wow....just re-read that and still believe it - especially if he's behind a good forward pack).
2. Ian Foster has to go. The Chiefs backline - for it's talent and potential - looked lost and clueless at times. Even with Sivivatu, Masaga and Kahui out there, you can't just throw the ball out there and expect them to work it out on the spot. Have they practiced any backline moves AT ALL in training?
3. The way the Tahs are playing right now they should feel lucky that a) the Force and the Rebels are in the same conference b) the Brumbies look only slightly less lost than the Chiefs did at times.
4. How good is Messam??

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I may have had a few beers, wines and then a coupla whiskeys, but I couldn't help but join in when the Fox commentary team had a little thrash wank about Drew Mitchell and the way he's developed as a player the last few years.

I don't think there's anyone better at picking up that inside ball in the blindside winger play, or generally running through traffic at speed. Every team he plays against must mark him for it, but he still pulls it off week in week out. His defence and general brainfartedness has come a long way as well and he and Beale really seem to be developing a partnership that's great for the Wallabies.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Rubbish. Did you watch him in defence? Very little impact. A few good efforts with ball in hand, but he was really flagging in the last 20.

Some truth in what you say Barbarian, but what that doesn't take into account is his intrinsic leadership and motivational abilities. He was very important in that regard, particularly once Waugh went off, though I felt Mumm stepped it up a bit in that regard this week. I reckon no Taf = struggle street, whilst acknowledging it was definitely not smart from a long term perspective to leave him on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Some truth in what you say Barbarian, but what that doesn't take into account is his intrinsic leadership and motivational abilities. He was very important in that regard, particularly once Waugh went off, though I felt Mumm stepped it up a bit in that regard this week. I reckon no Taf = struggle street, whilst acknowledging it was definitely not smart from a long term perspective to leave him on.

Hickey seemed to suggest as much in the presser. Basically even hobbling around on the wing he still contributes a lot. I would suggest otherwise, but then again I have never played alongside the bloke so would have no idea the impact he has on those around him.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The first 10 minutes of every Tahs performance is always the fastest, most powerful rugby you'll see.

Then there'll be something to upset it, and it'll go to shit from there. (if it doesnt they'll score 40 points)

What does that say?

We only have 70 mins of shit to sit through per match?

Being a Waratahs supporter is even more frustrating than in previous years?

I think the issue is that they come out of the blocks strongly, but if an opponent doesn't then fall apart (or heaven forbid, even hold their shape and don't give much away) the Tahs lose their intensity, individuals start panicing, things potentially go to shit (especially if the few hard headed leaders in the team aren't playing). Hence they don't have a great record against the top teams (Crusaders, Bulls, Stormers...), as the top teams tend not to fall apart easily, and don't generally give too much away.

Status
Not open for further replies.