• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs - Super Rugby R 6 2020, Friday 6 March @ 7.15pm @ Wollongong

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
After putting together a decent performance last week to record their first win of the season, things will be much tougher this week against the Chiefs, a genuine contender.

I would expect a very similar team given Penney opted for stability and they repaid the faith with a much better performance.

Rob Simmons' ankle is certainly a cause for concern and if he is unavailable, Pat Tafa could be in line for a debut off the bench.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
What's the availability of Gordon & Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)?
If Simmonds is out, should Holloway start at lock or McAuley? If Gordon is out, I imagine Short starts and Donaldson debuts off the bench. And I wonder whether Ramm gets to start in place of Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), or either Clarke comes in or Newsome moves out one and Foketi starts at 13? Plenty of interest in this team.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What's the availability of Gordon & Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)?
If Simmonds is out, should Holloway start at lock or McAuley? If Gordon is out, I imagine Short starts and Donaldson debuts off the bench. And I wonder whether Ramm gets to start in place of Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), or either Clarke comes in or Newsome moves out one and Foketi starts at 13? Plenty of interest in this team.

Donaldson doesn't play 9. Who is the third string 9 in the squad?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
On the bright side, I do spell Hanigan with one 'n'!
(I could have shown off with Nawaqatinawase)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How wrong can a bloke be: I always thought "Hanigan" had two Ns. Bit like my name. :D

Not three.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Usually does, but not this particular Hanigan!
Can give you that on good authority, used to play footy with his uncle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Angus Bell
2. Robbie Abel
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes
4. Ryan McCauley
5. Tom Staniforth
6. Lachie Swinton
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Mitch Short
10. Will Harrison
11. Jack Maddocks
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Alex Newsome
14. James Ramm
15. Kurtley Beale (c)

16. Damien Fitzpatrick 17. Rory O'Connor 18. Tetera Faulkner 19. Pat Tafa 20. Jed Holloway 21. Michael McDonald 22. Lalakai Foketi 23. Siosifa Lisala

Tafa, McDonald and Lisala all in line for their Super Rugby debuts.

Simmons, Gordon, Robertson and Nawaqanitawase all out injured.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
1. Angus Bell
2. Robbie Abel
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes
4. Ryan McCauley
5. Tom Staniforth
6. Lachie Swinton
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Mitch Short
10. Will Harrison
11. Jack Maddocks
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Alex Newsome
14. James Ramm
15. Kurtley Beale (c)

16. Damien Fitzpatrick 17. Rory O'Connor 18. Tetera Faulkner 19. Pat Tafa 20. Jed Holloway 21. Michael McDonald 22. Lalakai Foketi 23. Siosifa Lisala

Is Clark injured or just out of favour? I'm a bit surprised that McCauley got the nod over Holloway and Tafa, but otherwise pretty much expected team after injuries. After watching Moera in the A game I'd like to see him get another chance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Clark injured or just out of favour? I'm a bit surprised that McCauley got the nod over Holloway and Tafa, but otherwise pretty much expected team after injuries. After watching Moera in the A game I'd like to see him get another chance.

Clark is out of favour. He played most of the A game last Friday. Lisala looks very threatening though and it is worth getting a look at him in Super Rugby.

McCauley has been the bench lock for most or all games this season so it isn't surprising he's now getting a start. I think he has improved a fair bit in all aspects of his play. I'm keen to see Tafa get a run.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Angus Bell
2. Robbie Abel
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes
4. Ryan McCauley
5. Tom Staniforth
6. Lachie Swinton
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Mitch Short
10. Will Harrison
11. Jack Maddocks
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Alex Newsome
14. James Ramm
15. Kurtley Beale (c)

I'm really happy for Tafa, hope he can translate some of what we've been seeing at Super A level to the next as this really is his chance to put in a good showing. It'd be great to have some more depth, because as nice as I thought McCauley's pass was last week I'm still not sold on him.

Be interesting to see Lisala at this level too, he appears to have some gas and decent footwork but seems to still be needing some cohesion with the team. Could be wrong, but I suspect Short will play most of the game with McDonald not on till well into last quarter. A great opportunity for him to step up.

Also good to see Ramm being rewarded with another run this week.

I'm genuinely excited to see how they go. I don't think anyone is really giving them a chance so they really don't have much to loose.