• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waverley Women's Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Hi all long time no chat.

For all the people who don't know me I'm a huge fan of Berrick
Barnes and have racked up up many frequent flyer miles in the process.

After been inspired by many women such as a Ms. K Giteau, I've now decided to play rugby myself for Waverley women's side here in Sydney.

I will play my first game for Waverley Women's (barring a groin injury I sustained at training last night) on February 19 in the Canberra 7s comp in Queanbeyan.

I'm aspiring to play hooker this season although I have lost 20kgs in the process.

My club's website is http://www.waverleyrugby.com.au

I have an article which is due to be posted in the next week or so about Canberra 7s so ill keep you posted

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Keep us posted on the Womens rugby on all levels.

I wish the Rats men were as good as our ladies.

H

Hartman

You've spent money on travelling to see Berrick Barnes...?

....I don't even...

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Lol at Hartman.
Dedicated fan supported him from the days as a 17 year old at the Broncos.
Observe Barnesy's Army.

I know some of the GAGR crew who follow me on Twitter (@crazyrugbylady) have seen these 2 photos, but here is the pics of Berrick & I were taken a year apart.

The weight loss was a personal goal, but I hope to gain some weight back on.

photo.jpg

I will keep you posted on our comings and goings - I am looking forward to playing up against teams like Sydney
Uni & Warringah.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I find it quite amazing there is only 1 more female club side in Sydney then in Melbourne.

Granted the quality difference would be there but the similar numbers is quite alarming.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Looking good Hodgo.
Thanks mate :) that's a lot of hard work there, and when people take notice especially ones you respect (I had compliments from several Waratahs players on Friday) it makes it all worthwhile. Even my beloved All Blacks kit is too big for me!

I find it quite amazing there is only 1 more female club side in Sydney then in Melbourne.

Granted the quality difference would be there but the similar numbers is quite alarming.

I was quite shocked myself.

For the ones who don't know me, I moved from Brisbane to Sydney back in september - it was only through a work colleague that got me interested in playing.

What stopped me in Brisbane was the lack of clubs that had a Womens team, I think only 5 clubs have a side & I lived too far away or had my reasons why I wouldn't play for them (aka Wests, same reason why I dont want to play for Sydney Uni)

Playing rugby for me, is more of an enjoyment factor. I know playing for a Sydney club I do have the opportunity to represent my state/country but I'm not that serious about that.

I also have Asperger's Syndrome (a form of Autism) and I'm wanting to give things a try, not only to improve on my social skills but gross motor as well.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
My team is heading up to Crescent Head this weekend to play in their 7s competition. I won't be in attendance due to family reasons, but here's the article one of my team mates, Karin Christie wrote up.

http://www.waverleyrugby.com.au/ann...5/the-start-of-the-womens-summer-sevens-2011/

We've got alot of confidence within the team ATM, having had some some coaching from ex-Welsh international Phillippa
Tuttiett (she's the real deal, even google her name) who has been brilliant.

I've written up an article for the club on the Canberra 7s so hopefully in the coming week it should be on the website.

I will most likely to be playing next weekend, after vigorous recovery & rehab the injury seems to of subsided and I pulled up well from training.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well done, Hodgo, great to hear about progress in women's rugby anywhere in Australia. We used to have a very successful women's team at West Harbour but it turned out their existence was merely temporary. In fact there were two women's teams in the inner west, Drummoyne also fielded one, don't know how they're going at the moment.

Leave the weight off, you look much better for it. Did you lose it chasing after Berrick?

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Leave the weight off, you look much better for it. Did you lose it chasing after Berrick?

Lol. No if you consider 12km running each weekend "chasing after him" whilst I was in Sydney & he was in Europe.....

I do need to gain some weight back on - as I do play in the front row and I look like a greyhound ATM!

As for Drummoyne, they don't have a team this year. They fortified several times last season & were on the verge of going bust.

As for the Crescent Head 7s, Waverley lost to Newcastle Uni in the semi final which is a huge turnaround from last year's result.
This coming weekend is Canberra 7s - my first ever game.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Off to Canberra this weekend for Canberra 7s - it will be held at Taylor Park, Queanbeyan and our first game is at 11.20am

I'll be in the ACT late Friday to watch the Tahs game at a pub (most likely Mooseheads) if you're in the area, let me know and we can have a "box social"

I'll be going to the Brumbies game on Sat as well.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not as intelligent as a winger

HB, you still have much to learn about rugby. Wingers are not chosen for their intelligence, they are the cast-offs from a process of natural selection.

In the male game the process starts at the most junior age levels. Boys end up on the wings because they are the last ones chosen, basically because they are weedy and frightened of body contact. Usually they are safely out of the way there because the Under-8s play angry ant rugby where all the players swarm around the ball except for the wingers who sense there is danger there. They stand close to the sidelines where they can keep eye contact with their mummies who wave encouragement to them from time to time. By contrast their fathers either pretend they don't know them or yell abuse at them for their refusal to tackle. Tiny wingers also like to kick grass.

As they progress through the age ranks they occasionally receive the ball. Here the primeval "fight or flight" instinct kicks in. Wingers being congenitally under-endowed at the "fight" end of the spectrum are compensated by having a heightened aptitude for "flight". So they run. They run like gazelles away from a hungry lion. They can cover enormous distances laterally often traversing from sideline to sideline with no loss of momentum until someone stops chasing them.

When they mature they are expected to do just two things on the rugby field. The first is to catch the ball. But they have been programmed to associate having the ball with being chased. So their natural reaction is to drop it.

They are also expected to chase kicks. But they have not grasped the concept of running towards something, only to run from something. With nobody chasing them they see no reason to hurry.

It is off the field where they perform their most useful service. Late at night, primped and perfumed, they lure groupies away from serious rugby players who are engaged in the necessary business of re-analysing scrums and mauls and sinking piss.

There may, of course, be subtle variations in the women's game, HB, but I think the same basic principles would apply.

My main message is not to confuse the rat cunning of the winger with intelligence.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hello Hodgo I was at the Crescent head sevens with my team Newcastle uni, we beat sunnybank in the final so we were pretty happy with that.

I had a chat with the Waverley girls, it looks like your going to be playing Rugby with a really nice group of girls.

Dont forget to mention in your report that your girls didnt go home empty handed, one of your girls won the 100m womens sprint for the carton of beer. I loved the announcers comment afterwards "she looked a bit professional". Waverley were jumping out of their skin. A back from Parramatta won the mens sprint.

I think ACT won the mens overall against Sunnybank.

As for losing weight and wanting to play hooker, it can be done. My spot is normally backrow but last year I played in the front row at a "massive" 65kg. As for the wing I got chucked there when I first started years ago simply because I was small. I found smashing my team mates at training was the most effective means of going up the food chain to the forwards. I'll say this though I dont envy the people in my team on the wing, its isolated and your opponent gets a pretty long run up to make a very nasty hit on you.

Enjoy your Rugby.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks for that :) the girl who won the the 100m sprint was our coach Phillipa - she has played at a very high level for Wales up until a few years ago.

Canberra 7s was played today with Vikings Ladies taking out the cup division. We also did well in our division coming 3rd or 4th (waiting on confirmation)

Unfortunately I didn't get a start today. It was decided due to my groin injury that I shouldn't risk the season and not play.
A bit heartbreaking when being told in warm ups 5 minutes before the first game.

In my wandering I managed to meet Kristy Giteau which was a very inspiring experience, I told her about my injury and she gave me some advice and I also mentioned how I wanted to play and how she was an influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.