• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Week 10 - Waratahs vs Highlanders - Friday 7.35pm

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I have to say that was a fairly hard watch wasn't it, a couple of teams that bumbled their way through 80 minutes. The only thing I was relieved about that there weren't many players who will go into ABs in game maybe 2-3 at most.
Also carried on proving to me how wrong I was a year or 2 ago on thinking Pari Pari P was knocking on test door, I have noticed almost all games he played this year since coming back from injury, he is playing incredibly dumb rugby, and his YC last night was so stupid I would of made it a red in so he can be stood down a few weeks, he seems to be brain damaged! :mad:
Certainly a couple of teams who seem to of forgotten what to with ball, or how to attack anyway.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well that was horrible

The Tahs just look clueless, the attack coach needs to go, they are so lazy in attack, no inside lines, just continuous attempts of moving the ball wider to crash ball - often from a standing start

Nowhere during that game was there an expectation they were going to make a break from creating some miss match

After 3 phases there was just the wait until they dropped the ball or ran out of support effort and got turned over

And some of the passes - faark = in front at the chest, not their toes

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I had it on In the background so missed parts, but watched the last 10 minutes.

Whilst Tahs managed to get a try in the end, their means of getting it was quite dire and directionless, benefiting from 50/50 calls. All the forwards were just ambling around behind the ruck, not setting up in pods or structure, they were running one-off and lucky not to be turned over. They were making Gordons life hard by not giving him any options. Or maybe that was Gordons direction?

Not sure if they were just fatigued, or if that were the actual game plan but it was ugly.

Anyway, criticism aside it’s always good to see an Aussie team beat a kiwi team.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Well that was horrible

The Tahs just look clueless, the attack coach needs to go, they are so lazy in attack, no inside lines, just continuous attempts of moving the ball wider to crash ball - often from a standing start

Nowhere during that game was there an expectation they were going to make a break from creating some miss match

After 3 phases there was just the wait until they dropped the ball or ran out of support effort and got turned over

And some of the passes - faark = in front at the chest, not their toes
Well I agree with the attack being less than ideal. However Coleman is head coach and the way they are playing is how he wants it. The kicking down field constantly is the plan. The playing off 9 and getting forwards hitting it up, is part of the game plan. It stifles the backline’s ability to set attacking raids. The backline at the Tahs is very good but they need to get them more ball by playing more off 10, similar to the way the Rebels are playing. Coleman‘s coaching is being found out. The only thing out of his control is the players not being able to hold the ball for more than 3 phases before losing it, losing lines outs or penalties being given away. The Waratahs have so much ability but are not realising it and much of that falls on the coaches shoulders.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seu has been a godsend, great buy after so many dud foreign locks except the other obvious one.

If there was one piece of good coaching it was the management of Gleeson, going off at HT was a brave call given how well he was playing but more important to manage his return off a calf injury for the future.

I thought he was harshly done by on his pilfer penalty but I’m still convinced he can do a job for us in gold @ 7. He offers more than Hooper in just about every facet - ok maybe he can’t kick a 50-22

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Seu has been a godsend, great buy after so many dud foreign locks except the other obvious one.

If there was one piece of good coaching it was the management of Gleeson, going off at HT was a brave call given how well he was playing but more important to manage his return off a calf injury for the future.

I thought he was harshly done by on his pilfer penalty but I’m still convinced he can do a job for us in gold @ 7. He offers more than Hooper in just about every facet - ok maybe he can’t kick a 50-22

Which leads to a fairly obvious question: "Why is it that no one with two digits on their back is not able to do something that a 7 can do? Especially a 10?!"

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well fuck me dead. The useless pricks managed to win it.

Wins a win - particularly against a Kiwi team (even if this is the worst Highlanders team fucken ever).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I though Gleeson was quite impressive, he needs to lose the red lid (he was well targeted and stood out), that first run he was just smashed and he just got up and went again

If only we had urgency to get there and support the guy

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I though Gleeson was quite impressive, he needs to lose the red lid (he was well targeted and stood out), that first run he was just smashed and he just got up and went again

If only we had urgency to get there and support the guy
Yes… he’s very good. Agree on the ‘red lid’ …. Maybe in the under 7’s, not at this level. Aren’t you apart of a team? Harry Wilson and Fraser McReight do it too. Harry Wilson even has HW on his in some design… Wallaby level they should all wear green or gold ones imho.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The most noticeable thing in the last 20 minutes at the game was the lack of energy and urgency. Players just struggling to get around the corner to back up from the previous breakdown. We were very fortunate to snatch the win but jeez we made life tough for ourselves.

He offers more than Hooper in just about every facet

I think Hooper's form is steadily improving. He had an excellent game and was pretty clearly the Tahs best I thought.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The most noticeable thing in the last 20 minutes at the game was the lack of energy and urgency. Players just struggling to get around the corner to back up from the previous breakdown. We were very fortunate to snatch the win but jeez we made life tough for ourselves.

I think Hooper's form is steadily improving. He had an excellent game and was pretty clearly the Tahs best I thought.
I think after last week's performance, this week was like he flicked a switch

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

They were one paced for the whole game, that pace just go slower as the game went on

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
They were one paced for the whole game, that pace just go slower as the game went on
Yep, and we can't say it was because the Highlanders were slowing the game down. Dunno if they went too hard in pre-season, or not hard enough

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep, and we can't say it was because the Highlanders were slowing the game down. Dunno if they went too hard in pre-season, or not hard enough
You watch the good sides and they have good rhythm until there is an opportunity and then everyone reacts and the gears get switched up

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
You watch the good sides and they have good rhythm until there is an opportunity and then everyone reacts and the gears get switched up
Yep, I think the biggest problem was that there was little to no rhythm to the tah's game play, felt a bit like the waves crashing against the shore