• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wendell Sailor and the ARU

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
So I picked up Big Dell's new Autobiography yesterday and this passage got me really thinking. He's talking about the months after he got done for taking Cocaine during the season:

Don't get me wrong - this was nobody's fault but mine. However, it's bad enough to take pleasure in cutting down tall poppies but it's another matter entirely when you trample them into the dirt and try to make sure they can't get back up again. If the ARU felt I had let them down, then, I have to say, they paid me back in spades.

I don't hate much in life - I'm not a hater - but I'll make an exception for the ARU. They never offered any counselling to Tara (his wife) or to me. They didn't offer us any help or any services. Imagine if I had been contemplating suicide - I wasn't, but Wayne (Bennett) was worried I could have been close to the edge and he knew me better than most. We got nothing from the ARU except hearing dates and instructions not to contact the Waratahs' staff. That hurt a lot, especially because I'm a bloke who needs to be around people. The ARU hung me out to dry, good and proper, and then they cut me loose

Okay, I knew the rules and I chose to break them, but the ARU and the Waratahs were happy for me to bring my wife and kids to a new city, leaving all their family and friends behind. You'd think a couple of phone calls to them, to check they were OK, wouldn't have been too hard to organise. Okay, I fucked up, but I reckon they had a duty of care and they get an 'epic fail' on that count.

They were pretty cold to me, I went to meet them a couple of times and it was very much 'us versus you'. If I'd been an AFL player, it would have been a quiet chat and a warning that I could only test positive twice more before they did something. Different strokes, eh?

Also Wayne Bennet is quoted in the same book saying that while he was disappointed in Wendell he felt the system was more to blame for Dell's downfall- and if you look at how Bennett started and finished Dell's career you can't help but think he might be onto something.

My main point of thought here though is why has ARU's policy seemingly changed so much since then? Why has a serial offender such as Kurtley Beale been offered so much support when Wendell feels he got completely cut loose? Apart from the Cocaine you'd have to say Beales indiscretions, becoming involved in physical violence with Delve are worse than or certainly approaching Wendell's previous problems (basically drinking on a team alchohol ban thrice) Is it because Wendell was a leaguie whoes marketing value was all but gone after the World Cup? Or did the ARU change their tune after allegedly offering Wendell nothing which explains why they seem to have gone to the other end of the spectrum with Beale/JOC (James O'Connor)/Quade etc?

Thoughts?

(Disclaimer: obviously I am a big Wendell fan in League and Union, explaining my picture)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You seem to be leaving out several pieces of the puzzle.

1. He was handed a two game ban by the ARU (which was suspended) for an indiscretion on a Wallabies trip to South Africa in 2005.

2. He was sent home from the Waratahs tour to South Africa in 2006 for an incident in a nightclub and suspended for one game. The two game suspended sentence from the ARU then kicked in as well.

3. Later that season he tested positive for cocaine and was banned for two years.

I completely agree that the ARU should have treated him and his family better on a personal level and made sure they received any counselling they needed. You could also argue that a guy earning a million dollars a year could easily organise and pay for counselling for himself and his family if required.

I certainly don't think he was treated more harshly than Beale or JOC (James O'Connor).

Rugby follows all WADA codes and testing positive to cocaine during competition comes with a two year ban. If he had been an AFL player exactly the same thing would have happened. Their three strikes policy only applies to out of competition testing.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
You seem to be leaving out several pieces of the puzzle.

1. He was handed a two game ban by the ARU (which was suspended) for an indiscretion on a Wallabies trip to South Africa in 2005.

2. He was sent home from the Waratahs tour to South Africa in 2006 for an incident in a nightclub and suspended for one game. The two game suspended sentence from the ARU then kicked in as well.

3. Later that season he tested positive for cocaine and was banned for two years.

I certainly don't think he was treated more harshly than Beale or JOC (James O'Connor).

Yeah, I don't think anyone will deny that he was by all means a bit of an A grade Wanker but my other point is more about the system that allowed him to act up. Under Bennett's reign at the Broncos and later when he coached him at the Dragons Sailor was pretty much fine, just seems to corroborate other things we've seen or heard about the ARU's ability to handle 'difficult characters'.

And like I said the Wallabies 2005 indescretion was being present at the Matt Dunning Lote Tuqiri bar room brawl where no one should have been drinking, and the 2006 was after he punched a punter who was allegedly being racist.

If someone (read- Beale) did those things now he'd get instant counselling, time away and paddle boarding man dates with the national coach just wondering if Bennett's suggestion that the 'system let him down' can be drawn to our current wayward stars?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
You could distinguish the ARU's stance with Homebrand, Beale and Cooper to Sailor by two factors:

1) The difference in age between the three amigo's and Dell -

The Amigos were/are in their early twenties and society as a whole has more leniency towards "boys being boys" (note I'm not in anyway saying any of their actions are fine). Courts will pass these types of discretions off to young men making wrong choices.

Now Dell when court using Coke was 32/33 and would be deemed to be a responsible adult who should be guiding the youth.

2) The nature of the indiscretions

The Amigos have a variety of lewid behavior, but all violent behavior has apparently been contained within the confines of private situations. A public member hasn't been punched by either of them (that I can remember).

Then theirs Dell's used of Coke which is a pretty hardcore drug especially compared to alcohol. That doesn't sit too well with the public compared to being pissed and acting up (which seems to be an Australian past time).

Now, I agree Dell should have been supported by the ARU better. But blaming the ARU on him taking coke doesn't sit too well with me, especially when you're a 32 year old who knows this powdery substance isn't going to improve you're ability to play better rugby!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Most of us had to make our ways in life without any "system" to support us. Which is not to say that professional sporting franchises should not have to manage their players well, given the pressures and temptations, short working life, public scrutiny, etc etc. Of course they do. But it is a two-way street. If a player does not keep up his side of the bargain, and transgresses repeatedly, it is no surprise that the management and staff begin to lose interest in him and his welfare. The temptation is to let him sink, if he cannot manage to swim.

There were times in my life that I felt suicidal (particularly at one time, I was working off-shore, and in a dreadfully politicised working environment). I survived, and so did Wendell. If he had no friends or other support amongst his workmates and support staff, that is his fault, not the Tahs or the ARUs.

My guess is that a lot of what has been said by and about Wendell is just self-indulgent speculation.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the main distinguishing factor, was that the ARU considered Dell to be worth less than his contract value.The amigos were still considered to be "high value assets"

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
The Amigos have a variety of lewid behavior, but all violent behavior has apparently been contained within the confines of private situations. A public member hasn't been punched by either of them (that I can remember).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...rtley-Beale-hotel-scuffle-security-staff.html

And then the fight between all three was in a Parisian bar, not quite a private situation.

To his credit Wendell clearly states several times that it was his fault he took Cocaine in the book and explicitly says the ARU can't be faulted for that, so I totally agree that the ARU cannot be blamed for this, just merely could they have done more to prevent it/ did they learn from Dellsells/ is their technique now working with Beale and co to avoid a future Wendell?

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
I think the main distinguishing factor, was that the ARU considered Dell to be worth less than his contract value.The amigos were still considered to be "high value assets"
That's the sounds of the nail being hit on the head.

And in my opinion I really dislike that whole rub, that everything can be overlooked if you are playing good football. Might be good for the now, but causes deep-seated problems down the line... 'toxic' might even be an appropriate word...

Really hoping Link stands his ground on Homebrand, a great recent example of this going wrong is the whole Ben Barba mess. I think they stood him down for a few weeks in the end? Ridiculous, and is now of course coming back to haunt everyone.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...rtley-Beale-hotel-scuffle-security-staff.html

And then the fight between all three was in a Parisian bar, not quite a private situation.

It's kind of hard to keep track on what has or hasn't happened. From memory, that particular incident had some further racial issues that started it. Without knowing the full story it's hard to say whether Kurtley was pissed and was rightfully chucked out without being called something racially derogatory or not.

just merely could they have done more to prevent it/ did they learn from Dellsells/ is their technique now working with Beale and co to avoid a future Wendell?

I thought they have been giving counselling to Beale regarding his alcohol problem?[/quote]

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be honest I am sick of this whinging prick already. He knows he f***ed up, and why didn't his wife, family, friends etc sort him out, why is it your employers responsibilty to fix up his stupidity? Perhaps his so called friends didn't care about him either!!

Fuck I dislike all this I am owed everything, because me and my family/friends can't or won't help me sort out my life , so someone everyone needs to moddlecoddle me!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know you blokes/chicks will think I am joking but he was heavily lawyered up and they would have detected any issues with mental health, not least because it might have given them a mitigating circumstance to argue with!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

That's the sounds of the nail being hit on the head.

And in my opinion I really dislike that whole rub, that everything can be overlooked if you are playing good football. Might be good for the now, but causes deep-seated problems down the line. 'toxic' might even be an appropriate word.

Really hoping Link stands his ground on Homebrand, a great recent example of this going wrong is the whole Ben Barba mess. I think they stood him down for a few weeks in the end? Ridiculous, and is now of course coming back to haunt everyone.

It was during 2006.

He was 32 years old.

He was banned from playing any WADA sanctioned sport for two years from April 2006.

His ARU contract expired in 2007.

There is no outcome to that situation where any sport keeps that player on contract.

I think the ARU would cast out any current player if they were banned by WADA/ASADA for two or more years for drugs. It wouldn't matter who it was.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
It was during 2006.

He was 32 years old.

He was banned from playing any WADA sanctioned sport for two years from April 2006.

His ARU contract expired in 2007.

There is no outcome to that situation where any sport keeps that player on contract.

I think the ARU would cast out any current player if they were banned by WADA/ASADA for two or more years for drugs. It wouldn't matter who it was.

In no way would anyone think the ARU shouldn't have cut him loose in 2006, he took cocaine and had a building history of being a toss.

Dell was rightfully suspended by the WADA.

Again I'm not arguing that Wendell was anything but a pain in the years leading up to 2006 but it's the fact that it got to him being suspended. Also you take notice when someone with an international standing as a coach and mentor Wayne Bennett says this:

I was disappointed when Wendell was suspended, but I blamed the system more than I blamed him. I just think they didn't handle the players as well as they should have done... I wasn't a part of Rugby so I can't say for sure but I didn't feel they handled the situation well. I know he wouldn't have done those things at the Broncos under me. It was so out of character. It wasn't the Wendell Sailor that I knew

He's not having a go at Rugby for suspending him, he's saying that the systems in place or lack there of couldn't identify problems and keep egocentric players like Dell in check at the ARU. Again, Wendell was fairly straight and narrow in his time at the broncos (and again at the Dragons under Bennett).

It just seems like if you are playing well the ARU will let you regardless of what you do, I mean Kurtley's punishment for his numerous problems this year was playing in a Lions series...

And I totally see your points Dan54 and wamberal... we don't expect/get help if we are feeling depressed, there was a good interview with Ricky Gervais I saw a while ago where he takes that stance on other depressed actors, will have to dig it up.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wendell's a dick.

To me, that bit about comparing Rugby to AFL says that he doesn't think he did the wrong thing. I think he thinks the three strikes and your out policy is a better one. It just goes to show how clueless he is about the whole situation.

What a melodrama. I don't think he appreciates the harm he caused vs the lack of support the ARU provided. Trampling tall poppies into the dirt? Peh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the argument that he was fine in the NRL and then got in trouble several times in rugby so therefore something was wrong with the ARU is overly simplistic. Most of his incidents happened on tour in South Africa (aside from the cocaine). Rugby is a different beast with two tours to South Africa a year (if you play for the Wallabies that is) and a lot more travel time in particular.

Contrast that to the NRL where travel is far less frequent and shorter.

It seems to me that the big difference might have been the Sailor spent far more time away from his immediate family in rugby and that was one of the issues.

I have nothing against Sailor personally. I think he is a bit of a goose but in many ways that's his most endearing quality. He's a larger than life character.

I think high profile rugby league signings are always going to be placed under greater scrutiny than players who have been involved in rugby all their lives. As soon as the ARU poaches a player from the NRL with a huge contract offer, the spotlight is instantly focused on that player and everything they do. Rightly or wrongly there is a greater expectation that the player will both play really well and behave themselves.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The complaint against ARU is a funny one, and I wonder if it wasn't under legal advise as they had chosen to terminate his contract.

Counselling to me would only be offered to any employee, from a business point of view, if they thought he was worth salvaging or was a statutory requirement.

Because really, on his wages at the time, he could buy his own time in front of a counselor, if he thought it was necessary.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A. To his credit Wendell clearly states several times that it was his fault he took Cocaine in the book and explicitly says the ARU can't be faulted for that,

B. ARU cannot be blamed for this, just merely could they have done more to prevent it

Can you spot the inconsistency in this reasoning?

As a Tahs supporter who watch a good season implode because of Dell's stupidity, I don't have much sympathy.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
If anyone is looking out for this book. It's in the fiction section

League players, quick to put ute blame on someone else. Absolute wanker this bloke, and it was the only time I felt for the tahs when this bloke signed for them.
Its Class A CLASS A drug. He was lucky just to get away with what he did. And the way he is today and the amount of confidence he has on himself. It wouldn't surprise me if he is still lining up.
Good he has admitted his problems, still a dickhead.

T

TOCC

I work in a field where a positive drug test will see you sacked without any room to challenge the decision. I like Wendell, i enjoy his confidence and always liked to watch him play, yet It doesn't take much effort to act professional.. Choosing not to go out and take drugs isn't a hard decision and no ones fault but his own.

The ARU set a strong example with Wendell, they potentially should have performed some due diligence on his mental state however sacking him and distancing him from the team was the correct move.

rams

Stan Wickham (3)
Funny how guys like this are strangely silent until they have some other agenda to push, ie; a book to sell. If this was so disconcerting then why wait until now to air your grievances. Dell should go and hide back under the rock from whence he came.

Status
Not open for further replies.