• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I think with RG leaving and the way the boys are going this year it indicates nothing entirley special is going to happen. You never know but lets talk about whats likely.

So what do we need next year to be a successful Force? For starters its a new coach and hopefully one that can do what Jake White is doing with the brumbies. I never thought coaches made a team. I always believed it was the players but after seeing what JW has done to an average looking squad it makes think twice.
What coaches are available? does anyone know who would be best? Graham Henry? lol i wish. i have read that Michael Cheika and Andy Friend and Fisher are possibles.

Now there are reports of players being furious about RG leaving and wanted him sacked immediately. news story at

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...rd-graham-sacked/story-fnbzpx5a-1226329785609

The next big agenda is Pocock. If he leaves it's going to be looking real doom and gloom. There are a lot of reasons why he would go to the Reds himself. He spent a lot of time there when he was younger and Sharpie is retiring. The force have thrown everything at him. The captaincy would be the big one but now they have promised that he will be consulted with in regards to who he believes would be the best coach and also who he believes would be the best player signings. To me this is some desperate stuff to keep him in Perth. He seams like the type of bloke to enjoy perth and is quite settled here so lets hope he stays.

As far as i know there are alot of players that need to be looked at in resigning
Mafi
Sheehan
Sheps
Harvey
Pocock
Fairbanks
Stannard
Holmes
Turner
Godwin
Nalaga
Charlse
Battye
Sidey
Brown
Wara

I got these names http://twf.com.au/player_profile.php
can anyone confirm on who is known to stay or go atm
I thought Standard and charlse was heading off. Would be interesting to here if anyone thinks some of these guys shouldn't be resigned e.g Shepard with all the injuries

So what players do we need to look at signing. Do we need a 10? or do we go with a good centre?
I suppose it depends on who stays. once we know that then we know what type of players we need to be contracted.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If I was the Force I'd be trying to keep Pocock, Hodgson and McCalman and trying to swap Richard Brown for a tight five player.

There is little point having four of your best forwards all in the back row when you're weak in the rest of the pack (particularly after Sharpe goes). If you could get a better lock or prop it could really improve the side. He may be maligned, but even someone like Dean Mumm would improve the Force locks considerably post Sharpe and would definitely improve your scrum.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If I was the Force I'd be trying to keep Pocock, Hodgson and McCalman and trying to swap Richard Brown for a tight five player.

There is little point having four of your best forwards all in the back row when you're weak in the rest of the pack (particularly after Sharpe goes). If you could get a better lock or prop it could really improve the side. He may be maligned, but even someone like Dean Mumm would improve the Force locks considerably post Sharpe and would definitely improve your scrum.
Mark Chisholm maybe?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, I do complain about Mumm most weeks, but based on speculation, it would seem like his days at the Tahs could be numbered.

With Sharpe gone, he would be your best lock though. I think he's better than Toby Lynn. Battye might be promising but he's still very young and raw. Mumm is definitely better than Wykes.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
i think alot of people underestimate the force pack. especially guys like Pek and Charlse.
I do however agree with sharpe out we need a good lock to come in but this is not going to solve the problems we are having this year

Mumm and Wykes are completely different players. Different styles.
Wykes would probably be a better Back rower instead of lock if he put on a bit more muscle. i wonder what position he played pre Super Rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are we talking about Nathan Charles or is this someone I've never heard of?

I think Charles and Cowan are good super rugby players. I think your locks and THP are the positions in the forward pack that will need improving next season.

That is why I'd be looking to trade Brown for a better 3, 4 or 5.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah i see your point mate. I actually rate Longbottom better then Ma'afu. As long as we keep Cottrell for next year i dont see a problem in loosing someone like brown, and his contract is up this year.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Nowt wrong with the pack, the performance against the Tahs last week notwithstanding. With Sharpie retiring, recruiting another lock will be a priority, but the focus should be on the inside backs for next year. We either need to buy or develop a couple of them. Without a strong midfield, all that possession we get is wasted.

M

Moono75

Nalaga going back to Clermont?
Yeah just read that online....Fiji Times.....I say just like RG if your not committed piss off. He's been the biggest recruiting flop in Super Rugby. He is not suited to Super Rugby. He needs the massive space on offer from the poor defensive positioning of the French Top 14 clubs to get up to speed. Super Rugby is a lot more dynamic. Bring back David Smith....twice the player at half the size.

On a roll....who else needs a blast!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He needs the massive space on offer from the poor defensive positioning of the French Top 14 clubs to get up to speed. Super Rugby is a lot more dynamic. Bring back David Smith....twice the player at half the size.

lol that's pretty funny..

Would have nothing to do with the quality of the backline of Clermont compared to the Force would it?

M

Moono75

.....mmmmm I see your point. We would be laughing if we had David Smith ;)

M

Moono75

Read that the Rebels are targeting Nathan Charles. Hope that's not the case. The Force need to sign up their promising young talent who have been given a chance to start and develop here in Perth. Whitaker and Charles were going head to head last year year for the start at hooker but Charles seems to have pushed ahead. Only speculation at this stage....as is talk of Pocock talking up the Force to Quade and Genia....that would be interesting.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
Nalaga has been shit for the last two years.

Clermont >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Force

And i think defences in Top 14 are better than in Super Rugby. You won't see final results of 54-48 in Top 14.

R

ruggingrunby

Wouldn't the Force be looking to shore up the 10 spot? Or ar guys like Harvey and Stannard considered viable long term options (if they stay fit). Any up and coming guys likely to be able to fill the 10 in the coming years?

Status
Not open for further replies.