• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Considering we aren't officially looking at contracting him, might as well leave the disection of his personal life to the relevant parties.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Wasn't he playing Reserve Grade at Brothers earlier this year? I'm not sure why he was brought up in discussion in the first place, he definatly wouldn't be worth a Super Rugby contract.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think you will find as discussed in another thread that brothers don't inject people just for the reason they are pros. They have to earn it and he was only there for two weeks behind Dallas murphy and at the time was a seemingly unstoppable back line (so no point in changing it for someone who was only there for a stopover) and now he is by all accounts killing it for manly in Shute shield who are near top of the ladder and beat sydneyunia few weeks ago. Check out the highlights on club rugby tv

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Considering we aren't officially looking at contracting him, might as well leave the disection of his personal life to the relevant parties.

Dissected is an odd word considering all was said is he's had personal troubles, no details were given. I'd actually say it was a pretty tactful conversation.

H

Hinato

Hello all. Do you know more about the contacts between Atsushi Hiwasa and the Western Force?
I should note that I am French and I want a site on Japanese rugby. That's why I'm interested in this folder.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Godwin recommits to Emirates Western Force

The Emirates Western Force has re-signed rising playmaker Kyle Godwin for the 2013 and 2014 FxPro Super Rugby seasons.

Godwin is the first player to be recruited or re-signed since Michael Foley was appointed to head the rugby program for 2013.

The local Aquinas College product made his FxPro Super Rugby debut against the Reds in Perth this season before holding down the starting flyhalf role for the Australian Under 20 side at the IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa.

The 20-year-old returned to record a second FxPro Super Rugby cap off the bench against the Crusaders in the final week of the competition, scoring his maiden provincial try in a polished performance in the playmaking role.

Zimbabwe-born Godwin says he’s looking forward to continuing his rugby development with the Emirates Western Force.

“Being home-grown and having been part of the Force for the past few years, I wanted to stay and continue going forward with them,” the former Australian Schoolboy said.

“I really enjoyed my first taste of Super Rugby this year. I was very grateful for having the opportunity and I’m keen to keep training hard, keep learning, and trying to develop my game to get some more game time next year.

“Michael [Foley] said he’s very keen to help me develop my game and help me become the best player I can possibly be, and hopefully with that will come some more opportunities.

“Michael’s already shown he’s looking to make a few changes and freshen things up and I think it’ll be very good for the team.”

Foley says Godwin’s re-signing represents the future direction of the Emirates Western Force.

“I’m extremely pleased to have Kyle recommit with the Emirates Western Force,” he said. “He showed great promise this year, both with the Australian Under 20 side and with his opportunities at Super Rugby level.

“Our priority is to sign young and exciting talent – and Kyle certainly fits that mould. If we’re serious about relaunching the side, we need to be identifying and recruiting the best young talent and looking to develop them over the next few years.

“Kyle was sought after by other provinces and it’s a great endorsement for us that’s he keen to stay; and with his skill and dedication over the next two years there’s no doubt he’ll be looking to become a regular fixture at the provincial level.

“While he’s a young up-and-coming player, this is a significant signing in that it reflects our desire to continue working with the entire WA rugby family and it’s testament to the potential that exists for young players in our local community.”

Name: Kyle Godwin
Born: 30/07/1992
Position: Flyhalf
Height: 187cm
Weight: 87kg
Representative Rugby: 2012 Australian Under 20, 2009 Australian Schoolboys

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/905/ArticleID/7404/Default.aspx

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hooray! Now we need to give him the opportunity to step up into a playmaking role. He's a fine young player and I'd like to see him continue to develop here in Perth. The fact that he's a local is even better.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Sias gets another break

Perth-bound flyhalf Sias Ebersohn will get a rare start for the Free State Cheetahs, with coach Naka Drotské wielding a heavy axe ahead of Friday's Currie Cup Round Two showdown with the Blue Bulls.

Ebersohn, the twin brother of Cheetahs captain and centre Robert, will make his first start for the Bloemfontein side since his Super Rugby shocker against the Stormers at Newlands in May.

He initially came into the starting XV after a shoulder injury ruled Johan Goosen out for the season. Ebersohn missed a kick from in front against the Highlanders and the next week, with his confidence shattered, lost the plot altogether.

He has since been playing behind utility back Riaan Smit, who himself had a very disappointing performance in the 20-43 loss to the Golden Lions last week.

The inclusion of Ebersohn at No.10 is one of seven changes to the under-performing Cheetahs team.

He will be partnered at halfback by Sarel Pretorius, who played Super Rugby for the Waratahs this season, but is available to the Cheetahs for the Currie Cup season.

http://www.rugby365.com/article/49097-sias-gets-another-break

Hopefully all goes well and Ebersohn can remain at 10 for the duration of the Currie Cup. Not only will that mean he'll get the chance to further his development, but hopefully also means he'll come to Perth confident and in a good state of mind.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Shepherd to sue UK club

THE manager of Cameron Shepherd has launched a stinging attack at UK Northampton club and coach Jim Mallinder after announcing the former Wallaby would sue the club for cancelling a contract for "fabricated" medical reasons.

Shepherd signed a three-year deal with Northampton in May but the Saints last week cancelled the contract, saying Shepherd had failed a medical due to the condition of his previously injured left ankle.

The ex-Wallaby fullback was snapped up by rival UK club Sale yesterday but manager Nick Fordham said he was "completely appalled" by Northampton's actions, and his client had launched legal proceedings.

Fordham claims expert medical advice, and exams by both the Western Force and the Sale Sharks, prove there is no problem with Shepherd's ankle.

Fordham said Shepherd has only been informed of the failed medical three days before he was due to leave for England, and had already packed up his belongings and shipped them to the UK.

Start of sidebar.

"During this very stressful period, Cameron called several times for the man who lured him to the club - head coach Jim Mallinder - who didn't even have the decency to return his calls nor the courage to explain the position directly to Cameron," Fordham said in a statement released overnight.

"The club has leaned on a very loose medical clearance clause in the heads of agreement which is purely in the club's favour.

"This is now being scrutinised by the UK-based Rugby Players Association.

"What's the point in having contracts where things can be completely fabricated to break contracts and then cause damage to one's professional reputation, as has happened in this instance.

"Northampton should be ashamed of themselves and this should be a warning to any player contemplating an association with the club."

Fordham said London legal counsel had given strong assurances Shepherd has a good case against the Saints.

"Expert medical reports from leading independent orthopaedic surgeons and Cameron's former club doctors at the Western Force have concluded that there is nothing wrong with Cameron's ankle," Fordham said.

"Having subsequently passed a medical and signed with the Sale Sharks proves there are huge holes all through Northampton's action and position".
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/shepherd-to-sue-uk-club/story-fnbzpx5a-1226451474028

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
This is a good thing for the force, as this kind of experience can only be good fro Ebersohn.
Moments like this make me think that Aus S15 clubs should make it a top priority and

to forgerelationships with Currie Cup & ITM cup teams and should send their developing players like Godwin or Rebels Luke Jones or Mitch Stirzaker to play their off season football with these teams. It did wonders for James Hanson and Salesi manu will only come back next year better than ever. Besides it would be better for them than playing Victorian or Western Australia premir grade (no disrespect intended) but these kids need more time in pro environments so they can flourish.

M

Moono75

Any word on Pretorius joining Ebersohn at the Force. Prior to the coaching announcement there was talk by Vern Reid that there were several player announcements to come. Just wondering if they are all the recent re-signings of current players.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
...saying that look for an announcement on Chris Alcock signing with the Force tomorrow.

Good to see them hitting home with a primary demographic (South Africans).

I don't mean that sarcastically either, a first gen Aussie like Alcock or the completely Saffa Ebersohn can do all kinds of community work in clubs and the kids will really identify with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.