• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

Alcock is a good pickup but we still need some urgent help at 12. An injection of mongrel into the Force would be welcome too, add a little backbone. If we can't match them skills wise at least we can put the fear of god into them.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Any hopes of an extended run at 10 in the Currie Cup for Sias Ebersohn have been dashed by Johan Goosen's return.

Free State Cheetahs fly-half Johan Goosen has been named in coach Naka Drotské's starting XV for Saturday's Currie Cup clash against Griquas in Kimberley.

Goosen will make his return to the field after he injured his shoulder in a Super Rugby match against the Highlanders in Bloemfontein earlier in the season.

He was sidelined for nearly four months after surgery and will make his comeback partnering scrum-half Sarel Pretorius.

Goosen was promoted to the run-on side in the place of Sias Ebersohn, who wore the number 10 jersey in the Cheetahs' 32-18 victory over the Blue Bulls last weekend.

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8009871,00.html

M

Moono75

I am gonna come out and say it but i dont think mcalman and or Brown are that good and i prefer alcock, cottrel and mccaffrey to them.
You may be onto something. McCalman and Brown both need big years. They have gone from being in contention for Wallabies duties a couple of years ago to missing out altogether (I know they had injuries). Cottrel definately on the rise.

L

Linebacker_41

Yeh but his salary compared to his output is a bit shit. And these young whipper snappers just have a monsterous work rate

I love the salary compared to output model. It never reflects pro sports.

Players come in and work hard for very little $$ for the first 2 or 3 years. Then they have a breakout year still on shit $$$.

Their next contract probably reflects the value given back to the team (now 3 years into the program), this assumes that the timing of their breakout year was just prior to signing a new contract.

Then their contract from years 4 to 5 onwards are paying back the value of their contribution of the past or reputation not necessarily and indication of what they are going to provide in the future.

For mine Brown will be a valuable asset at the Force, he will be earning his keep particularly in the absence of Pocock. I know he has been around for a while but he hasnt had the need to step up and deliver as Pocock has taken that load.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Hodgson I think will lift his game and be a leader on and off the field but brown isnt much the 'follow me' kind of guy. Reports i have heard form inside the force camp is that he is pretty much being held together by tape and they were surprised he got as much game time as he did last season.
McCalman could be a very good player but he needs to add something his game very one dimensional at the moment he is just playing the run of the mill blindside role, if he can just add a bit more explosiveness in his running or tackle he will be right up there as his workrate is nothing to shake a fist at.
Anyone heard any news of current players trialing or rumours of signings? Rebels have already started bringing in train on players so I am curious as to who Force might have around the traps

N

NTT

Hi fellow Force tragics, I'm NTT. You may know me from TWF or the NIB grandstands. It's great to be here and look forward discussing everything rugby.

N

NTT

The main thing the Force needs is better talent identification and recruiting freedom which they are in the process of restructuring. Also reinstate the $200 000 the ARU took away from the Force academy would be a good start in terms of ARU support. Also Nucifora being less of a dick-tator on contracting and recruitment would help.

L

Linebacker_41

The main thing the Force needs is better talent identification and recruiting freedom which they are in the process of restructuring. Also reinstate the $200 000 the ARU took away from the Force academy would be a good start in terms of ARU support. Also Nucifora being less of a dick-tator on contracting and recruitment would help.

I think any efforts to recoup the $200k from the ARU is very unlikely.

I agree that their recruitment strategies need a lot of work. But given that any development program has to serve first the National u20s then super rugby then the Wallabies then it will be difficult to be given true support to build the Force franchise under this current ARU administration.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Word is the force have signed mick snowden...anyone got some info in him?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I've seen bits and pieces on abc. He isn't bad. Scrum Half for Eastwood. Strong for a 9 and good under the high ball. He's got a decent pass 2

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As Shigs said, starting halfback for the Woodies this year after Nic White went to the Brumbies.

Holmes should go and Turner should be kept. There's more future in that.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So Much for Snowden

Force sign All Blacks No.9

All Blacks scrum-half Alby Mathewson will be the Western Force's international marquee signing for next season.
The Force have been in talks with the Auckland Blues' No.9 for some weeks, as revealed in _The West Australian _ earlier this month, and will today announce that they have secured Mathewson for one year.
He will be new Force director of coaching Michael Foley's second signing since taking charge. Foley secured the signature of flanker Chris Alcock from his former club NSW Waratahs last week.
Mathewson will bring much- needed speed to the Force back line when he pairs with overseas development signing, fly-half Sias Ebersohn, who will leave the Bloemfontein-based Cheetahs after the South African Currie Cup competition.
Foley will now have to decide whether to retain Josh Holmes, who was signed midway through last season on a short-term contract, or Justin Turner, who has had limited games after being hit by several serious injuries since representing Australia in the 2010 world junior championships.
Last season's first-choice scrum-half Brett Sheehan has already signed a deal for the 2013 season.
The Force still have at least one vacancy in their senior squad of 30 and are expected to fill it with their second overseas development player who would sign for at least two years.
Australian Super Rugby clubs can sign their marquee player only on a one-season contract.
Mathewson, 27, has made four appearances for the All Blacks. He joined the Blues from the Wellington Hurricanes in 2010 and has played more than 80 Super Rugby games. He is off contract with the Blues but is still the starting scrum-half for Auckland's ITM Cup provincial competition side.
He was the 2010 Rebel Sport Super 14 Player of the Year.

Force winger Nick Cummins could make his Wallabies debut against South Africa in Perth in the September 8 Rugby Championship clash.
Coach Robbie Deans is waiting for results of an ultrasound on Drew Mitchell's right ankle, injured in Saturday night's crushing 22-0 Bledisloe Cup Test loss to New Zealand in Auckland.

Fly-half Quade Cooper will have scans on his reconstructed right knee after aggravating the joint in the Eden Park Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.