• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Since everyone is taking about next year now I thought we may as well start a new thread.

Great signing with Luke Morahan. Shame about Hansen though. He is clearly better then fainga. However hika Elliot has been released from his contract in NZ and also his npc team. We should target a guy like this.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
2014 Squad so far

1. Chris Alcock 2014
2. Phoenix Battye 2014

3. Richard Brown 2014 - Wallaby Caps
4. Nathan Charles 2014
5. Angus Cottrell 2014

6. Pek Cowan 2014 - Wallaby Caps
7. Sias Ebersohn 2014 Development Player Spot
8. Kyle Godwin 2014
9. Matt Hodgson 2015 Wallaby Caps
10. Kieran Longbottom 2014
11. Alby Mathewson 2014 Marquee Player Spot
12. Ben McCalman 2015 Wallaby Caps
13. Sam Norton-Knight 2014 Wallaby Caps
14. Ed Stubbs 2014
15. Chris Tuatara-Morrison 2014
16. Hugh McMeniman 2015 Wallaby Caps
16. Jayden Hayward 2014

Off contract
Nick Cummins
Pat Dellit
Tetera Faulkner
Toby Lynn
Alfie Mafi
Lachlan McCaffrey
Sam Wykes
Ben Whittaker
Will Tupou
Brett Sheehan
Solomoni Rasolea
Winston Stanley

Gone
Salesi Ma'afu

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
It's interesting how a lot of people are putting other names in the 10 spot and Sias isn't even in there backline. Can he play for aus?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
However hika Elliot has been released from his contract in NZ and also his npc team. We should target a guy like this.

Marquee spot has been filled for 2014 by Mathewson. Pity though as he would've been a great pick-up for the Force.

M

Moono75

Wykes will have to lift his game. He hasn't come back well since his injury last year.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You would have to say Lynn, Toupou, Rasolea, Stanley, Wykes, Whittaker, McCaffrey and Dellit are all in the firing line.

Morahan and Manu all but confirmed for next year. Would be a great shame to see Mafi and Cummins leave.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I expect Burton is in line for an EPS spot next season?
He wouldnt be far away i think it would depend on if we get a player like holmes wether we would need a more ready player like christi or are able to get burton as a development player.

Also look for hoskins to get an eps gig.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
He wouldnt be far away i think it would depend on if we get a player like holmes wether we would need a more ready player like christi or are able to get burton as a development player.

Also look for hoskins to get an eps gig.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

The EPS is for development, not average kiwi journeymen. I doubt Christie will get a run next year, the same goes for eaton.

It is good to see the WA lads coming through the system.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The EPS is for development, not average kiwi journeymen. I doubt Christie will get a run next year, the same goes for eaton.

It is good to see the WA lads coming through the system.

Yes the EPS is for Development but we have seen that they players are called upon a lot to fill in on game day. Its hard if you have a player who isn’t quite ready to make the step up which Burton I feel fall into that category

Hence the reason clubs need academy’s to be able to bring those players on with out having to sign then to playing contracts. Burton will get a shot sooner rather than later.

Hopefully Turner can get over his injury’s and be a chance again next year.

It is good seeing wa players coming through like many have been saying it wasn’t going to be an over night thing it was always going to take a few years for talent to come through.

Off the top of my head a WA side could look like this

1 Kieran Longbottom (Force)
2 Ryan Tyrell (Force)
3 Cruze Ah-nau (Rebels/Force)
4 AWH (Reds)
5 Jake Ball (UK)
6 Will Brock (UK/Aus 7s)
7 Ryan Hodson (Rebels/Force Setup)
8 Darren Murphy (Japan)

9 Justin Turner (Force)
10 Zack Holmes (Brumbies)
11 Chance Peni (knight League u20’s)
12 Kyle Godwin (Force)
13 Curtin Rona (NRL Cowboys)
14 Wanga Qalu (Penrith League U20's)
15 DHP (Force/France)

17 Ollie Hoskins (Aus U20’s)
18 Corey Thomas (Force academy/Aus U20 (Trials)
19 Richard Cooper (Force academy/Aus U20 (Trials)
20 Ryan Louwrens (Force academy/Aus U20 (Trials)
21 Luke Burton (Force academy/Aus U20 (Trials)
22 Brad Lacey (Force academy/Aus U20 (Trials)

Not bad for a AFT dominated State. And im sure iv missed some.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
LUKE MORAHAN JOINS THE FORCE FOR 2014

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Queensland Reds and Wallabies outside back Luke Morahan will join the Emirates Western Force next season after signing for two years.

Morahan will join a 2014 Force line-up that already includes the likes of Matt Hodgson, Hugh McMeniman, Alby Mathewson, Chris Alcock, Kyle Godwin, Nathan Charles and Sias Ebersohn.

The 23-year-old made his Super Rugby debut for the Queenslanders in 2009 against the Lions in Brisbane and has accumulated 41 caps during five seasons with the Reds.

In 2012 – having previously been a part of Wallabies touring squads in 2009 and 2010 – he made his Test debut for the Wallabies, starting at fullback in the side’s 9-6 loss to Scotland in Newcastle.

The pacey fullback/winger was a member of the 2010 Commonwealth Games silver medal-winning Australian Sevens side, having also been a member of the national squad in 2008-2009 – scoring a squad high 27 tries for the season and fourth highest overall – and 2009-2010.

The former Australia A Schoolboy representative, who played all 17 matches for the Reds in their Australian Conference-winning season in 2012, says he’s excited about joining the Force for the next stage of the side’s relaunch.

“There’s been some really good signs for the team this season and for the direction of the side in the future, and I’m looking forward to being a part of that,” he said.

“I really like the style of rugby they’ve played and that they want to play. [Michael] Foley’s got them on the right track and I think it’ll be a style of game that will suit me and I’m really looking forward to giving it a crack over there.

“I’ve spoken to a few guys about the Force in the past, ex-players like Nathan Sharpe and current players like Matt Hodgson, Richard Brown and Nick Cummins, and they’ve always spoken very highly of it, they say it’s a great place and that they love it, and so it wasn’t that hard a decision really.”

Head Coach Michael Foley says Morahan is a dynamic addition to the Emirates Western Force backline in 2014.

“Luke’s a quality attacking player who’s been a strong performer for both the Australian Sevens and Reds,” he said.

“We’re very pleased to have him on board from next season and he’ll add further depth to our back three.”

Name: Luke Morahan
Born: 13/04/1990
Position: Fullback/wing
Height: 1.89m
Weight: 95kg
Representative Rugby: 2009-2012 Wallabies, 2009-2013 Queensland Reds, 2008-2010, 2012 Australian Sevens, 2007 Australia A Schoolboys

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hope the Force can weave some magic and retain Mafi as well. His name was a notable omission from the list of key Force players in 2014 in that press release.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Marquee spot has been filled for 2014 by Mathewson. Pity though as he would've been a great pick-up for the Force.

I don't mind Charles; he is having injury and form problems at the moment, but is quite a good hooker when he is on form.

Realistically if I was forced to choose between Elliot and Mathewson I would choose Alby any day of the week. He was an incredibly astute buy.

I have to agree with Bowside on this one. The Force should be doing whatever they can to retain Mafi and Cummins. Within reason of course.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Who's on every ones force shopping list?

I'd be going hard after:

Prior
Holmes

And some longshots:

S. Morahan
AWH
Mitch Felsman
Jamie Taulagi

I'd also offer Josh Dugan a base contract with a sacked at the first sign of a fuck ups clause. I like to think the best of people.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Who's on every ones force shopping list?

I'd be going hard after:

Prior
Holmes

And some longshots:

S. Morahan
AWH
Mitch Felsman
Jamie Taulagi

I'd also offer Josh Dugan a base contract with a sacked at the first sign of a fuck ups clause. I like to think the best of people.

Pryor would a great acquisition for sure - he's good and deserves to play more.

Status
Not open for further replies.