• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^
Sorry for the wall of text :(

tl:dr yeah the force and rebels probably should get more, but unfortunately don't.

M

Moono75

It's not the sole responsibilty to see the Western Force, the majority of the responsibility falls to the franchise.

Sure, the ARU isn't blameless, but if you feel that the Force are not being sold enough, then surely the Force management / head office themselves must take the majority of the blame.

Rugby marketing as a whole is shithouse. Its like they aren't even up for the fight to try and promote the game against the other codes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rugby marketing as a whole is shithouse. Its like they aren't even up for the fight to try and promote the game against the other codes.

That's because they leave too much to the franchises. The ARU really don't promote (Super) rugby much in any state, WA is not alone there.

The statement that ARU focuses on Queensland and NSW? Well, Queensland is nearly 100% the Reds for Super Rugby.

What really is needed is FTA exposure, the ARU working with the broadcaster to promote the comp, then each franchise can continue or grow its promotional work in its own region.

But if there's little to no promotion of the Western Force, well, that's not the ARU's responsibility, rightly or wrongly. If there's little to no promotion of rugby, then generally it falls to the local governing body, the WARU(?). The ARU seem focused on the Wallabies.

T

TOCC

The tyranny of distance can create a very skewed perception of bias, I get that WA fans feel neglected, but this perception that the eastern states and ARU all sit around give each other circle jerks while the Force is on the outside looking in is a bit tiresome.

I live in Sydney but recently visited QLD, the exposure of the Reds in Brisbane is 5x that of the Tahs in Sydney, mostly Reds membership advertising but significantly a lot of partnership advertising through other platforms that I rarely see in Sydney.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The tyranny of distance can create a very skewed perception of bias, I get that WA fans feel neglected, but this perception that the eastern states and ARU all sit around give each other circle jerks while the Force is on the outside looking in is a bit tiresome.

I live in Sydney but recently visited QLD, the exposure of the Reds in Brisbane is 5x that of the Tahs in Sydney, mostly Reds membership advertising but significantly a lot of partnership advertising through other platforms that I rarely see in Sydney.

I couldn't care less if the ARU don't promote the Force its not their job to thats not the issue.

The issue is the lack of initiative from the ARU to promote grass roots rugby in each state, that's not the Forces job nor is it thee Reds or Tahs,

If the figures below don't show that's Rugby WA is getting the rough end of the stick i don't know what will.

Below is the payments made in 2012 to each union.

QLD 1.7m
NSW 1m
VIC 575k
SA 260k
NT 257k
ACT 244k
WA 200k
TAS 55k

Explain to me how that works?

T

TOCC

What is the context of the argument here, are we talking about the marketing of the Western Force which is what the video refers to and what this discussion started over, or are we going to argue the merits of grassroots funding which is the figures presented by Gaffa... Because the two are separate topics

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
What are those payments for?

edit: specifically, I mean. Is it something related to special initiatives or just a generic cash donation?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
What is the context of the argument here, are we talking about the marketing of the Western Force which is what the video refers to and what this discussion started over, or are we going to argue the merits of grassroots funding which is the figures presented by Gaffa. Because the two are separate topics
My taking of the comments from offsides wasn't so much about the force but about growth of rugby in Australia and the obsession with qld and nsw at the expense of the rest of the country no so much that they should be promoting the force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

edit: specifically, I mean. Is it something related to special initiatives or just a generic cash donation?

I think they are just the annual payments from the ARU to the various state RUs to help them run the game in their state. Nothing specific.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

In the financial statement 2012 it says the payments are Allocations to member unions & affiliates.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
9ypahabe.jpg

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well, that IS odd. I wonder what it is?

It seems grossly disproportionate to the other unions, including the nsw union.

I wonder if it is related to a specific program, or if it is somehow related to player numbers, crowd figures, beers consumed at big wig lunches?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hey guys we have Mark Sinderberry the CEO of the Western Force on the podcast tonight anyone got any questions for him?

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi Mark,
Congrats to all the team for a heroic few weeks!
In view of all the Force's recent successes (& hopefully more to come) their public profile of rugby has certainly been lifted in WA. Do the Force/RUGBY WA have plans to do more marketing & promotion to really make the most of this and raise the face of rugby and the Force in Perth even with the heavy competition from AFL?

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)

When you use terms like 'tyranny of distance' to downplay a perceived bias based around distance, are you not reinforcing that perception?

T

TOCC

I was being sympathetic... Under these circumstances and in the age of the internet, air travel, TV.. Tyranny of distance is nothing more then an expression..a perception for some.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
I was being sympathetic. Under these circumstances and in the age of the internet, air travel, TV.. Tyranny of distance is nothing more then an expression..a perception for some.

And that's cool. But clearly people's biases are played out in the language they use: "over east", "the wild west", and "over there".

WA clearly struggles to get any real positive attention/press/money among the rugby playing states.

The place struggles for rugby recognition among the states where it's not the the native game.

As much was said in the podcast this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.