• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, that makes no sense.

The ARU needs to try and counteract the natural difficulties the Rebels and Force have compared to the Reds, Tahs and to a lesser extent Brumbies rather than make the situation worse.

It's all well and good for the ARU to offer the Rebels and Force more spots for foreign players but making it more difficult to sign established locals seems like a bad idea.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
They need to look at the AFL... I've been away from Oz for a little over a decade... When I left the AFL was doing ok, but struggling after the expansions... their methods were controversial (at the time) but have ultimately been successful.... Refining those methods, at least one of their new expansion teams are doing well this year. It is not just the salary cap, it is also the draft and preferential picks to build... it is by no means perfect, but looking from the outside after a long absence, it is impressive - and more importantly replicable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
People do realise having a large number of Wallabies at a club is a burden right? They only start pre-season in January after 1 month off.

T

tranquility

Because the amounts they earn for getting selected for the Wallabies aren't related to their Super Rugby salaries.

Seemingly (like at the Reds and Brumbies), some players have stayed on for lower salaries than they could demand if they went to a different franchise. Players knowing that they will or are likely to earn extra money for playing for the Wallabies is certainly an advantage though because it means they're less likely to be concerned about not earning the maximum possible for Super Rugby that they could.

Then there are players like Kurtley Beale who came back to NSW after being unwanted by the Rebels (where he had gone for a large salary). Why would anyone think that he'd have a high super rugby salary now given that he left his previous team in disgrace and only one team wanted him?

Clearly the Force have had to pay above the odds historically to lure some players to Perth. If they play well again next year that will start changing because players will be keen to head to Perth to join Super Rugby side that is going well and getting results.

No-one has seen figures, and I don't think it is policed very rigorously. I would find it very hard to believe that NSW were under the salary cap. Nigh impossible really.

Reactions: gel

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nahh. Longbottom should be in for that powder puff paddy ryan.
Just adding a touch of reality...the tahs last couple wins have been against said crappy lions and injured rebels. Theyve already won the super rugby comp if you believe the press!

Longbottom goooooooone.........

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie told The Australianlast night he became aware a week ago that Longbottom had committed to London club Saracens and, in line with the policy of not choosing overseas-bound players that cost NSW Waratahs lock Kane Douglas and Brumbies number eight Ben Mowen places in the Wallabies squad to play France, crossed the 28-year-old frontrower off his selection list.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ottom-cuts-ties/story-e6frg7o6-1226932364190#

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Could have been a Wallaby. Wonder if he regrets the decision. These deals don't happen over night. Did he not inform the Force of his intentions to move overseas? Did the Force not tell the ARU? A bit of communication breakdown somewhere along the line.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
Could have been a Wallaby. Wonder if he regrets the decision. These deals don't happen over night. Did he not inform the Force of his intentions to move overseas? Did the Force not tell the ARU? A bit of communication breakdown somewhere along the line.

From the sounds of it, given the cash on offer, the Force and the ARU couldn't realistically compete, so there weren't any negotiations. Apparently it's "silly" money.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't disagree that the Force are playing beyond expectations this year. They've got five test squad players and they deserved them, though Longbottom should be there rather than Cowan.

But that win was almost not a win, against the Lions reserve team. They are resilient but limited. I fear they will do it tough next Friday.

It was "almost" not a win, and the Force "almost" had three tries, only to be pulled back.

Look, wasn't their greatest game ever, but as usual, they got the job done. They had the Lions under pressure for most of the game, but didn't turn the pressure into points (see the "almost" three tries point above).

McCalman and Cottrell are going just fine, thanks. McCalman was quiet this week, but last week he had 17 tackles and 19 carries. I doubt you'll EVER see Higgers doing that... And after the Test break, 5 starters will be returning. In the past, losing 5 starters would've killed their season - yet they're still putting up the W's.

Will they beat the Crusaders? I wouldn't bet on it, but they've always gone well against them, so it's not impossible. Overall, I'm pretty comfortable with the way they're going.

M

Moono75

Real shame about K-Bomb leaving. He was in a real position to challenge for sustained Wallaby selection. Plus good to see a forward who ditched wearing the skull cap.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
Clearly the Saracens can spot talent better then the Wallabies....hope he doesnt suit up for england. Whats his family heritage? heaps of poms down rocky way.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
What everybody is missing about KBomb is just how much he has developed under the guiding eye of Michael Foley. He certainly wasn't Wallaby-ready last year.

He started to show the benefits towards the end of last season but has really developed during the bulking-up in the post-season in 2013 and the pre-season in 2014 and the 1st half of the 2014 Super Rugby season. His work rate this year is what would have attracted the attention of the Saracens.

I'd be fairly sure that KBomb was to be picked in the squad for the June Tests but had to share with Link the Saracen situation. it's rumoured that the $$s are too good to ignore.

It's disappointing to me (I'm sure that The Force and KBomb have stronger feelings) that the confidential news was broken by Link rather than being left to KBomb and The Force to choose the right time. Must be very disruptive for a team that's just arrived in CCH for the game against the Crusaders.

I would think that the "official" announcement was going to be AFTER the Crusaders game - at the start of the break for the June French Tests.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Really sad to lose Longbottom. But he realistically only has a handful more years to set himself up financially. The negotiations probably started when he didn't think he was a chance at a Wallaby jersey and when silly money fell on the table he had to make the smart decision for his future.

T

tranquility

He had to take the dosh. He was a mature beginner to the pro leagues, and there was no guarantee he would ever make that kinda dosh here. Hope he comes home after a few seasons in the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.