• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

I bet 95 percent of people in the world rather live in Perth then Canberra.. So what is the issue your having that the ARU need to fix ?

Player payments, top ups, recognition of the geographic isolation of Perth and the factors that plays in travelling in this competition and in attracting players here. If they want Rugby to thrive and be a national game then invest in your fledgling teams. Pay the Force a top up over and above the "supposed salary cap" so they can bring in some top line talent.

If the Force had been supported by the ARU in expansion and we had managed to win a Super in the first 10 years Rugby in WA would be a lot more high profile and profitable than it is right now.

Instead the ARU potects the rugby heartland and treats the Force like a leper on the outer hoping it might do something magically.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Player payments, top ups, recognition of the geographic isolation of Perth and the factors that plays in travelling in this competition and in attracting players here. If they want Rugby to thrive and be a national game then invest in your fledgling teams. Pay the Force a top up over and above the "supposed salary cap" so they can bring in some top line talent.

If the Force had been supported by the ARU in expansion and we had managed to win a Super in the first 10 years Rugby in WA would be a lot more high profile and profitable than it is right now.

Instead the ARU potects the rugby heartland and treats the Force like a leper on the outer hoping it might do something magically.

My suggestion in the RUPA draft thread was that the Force and Rebels should have an equivalent of the AFL's cost of living allowance available on all their contracts (and funded by an additional ARU grant).

If all contracts were 10% higher they would have more pull in getting players to Perth and Melbourne.

The situation with ARU top ups meaning the overall salaries paid to players from the more successful teams is higher is never likely to change. The ARU needs to pay to keep their key players in Australia and they're never going to make them move to different franchises in order to get a top up. They can't put these in the hands of the Super Rugby teams because their needs aren't aligned with the needs of the Wallabies.

M

Moono75

My suggestion in the RUPA draft thread was that the Force and Rebels should have an equivalent of the AFL's cost of living allowance available on all their contracts (and funded by an additional ARU grant).

If all contracts were 10% higher they would have more pull in getting players to Perth and Melbourne.

The situation with ARU top ups meaning the overall salaries paid to players from the more successful teams is higher is never likely to change. The ARU needs to pay to keep their key players in Australia and they're never going to make them move to different franchises in order to get a top up. They can't put these in the hands of the Super Rugby teams because their needs aren't aligned with the needs of the Wallabies.

Yes the cost of living allowance is what I was thinking about. The Sydney Swans in the AFL had this when they first came into the league and I think they still have to this day. I don't understand why the ARU don't invest in trying to make the code in Australia more broadly embraced by having a better product in the smaller markets. Giving us a Test against the Boks or Argies once a year isn't cutting the mustard. Hopefully the launch of the new Perth Stadium in late 2017 will attract a Bledisloe Cup test.

I know the Force are doing it tough, we didn't even get our Line Break season guide sent out this year, it was emailed. There has been zero advertising on TV in the newspapers or anything. No banners on St Georges Terrace or around town advertising home games. No buses decked out with Force advertising on the backs. The Force have dropped so far off the radar in the sporting pecking order over here. They need to be looking at a major revamp to inject some life and energy into the organisation. We have certainly invested our time and money into the team over the years and all we want is to see a bit of success.

If we win they will come.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yes the cost of living allowance is what I was thinking about. The Sydney Swans in the AFL had this when they first came into the league and I think they still have to this day. I don't understand why the ARU don't invest in trying to make the code in Australia more broadly embraced by having a better product in the smaller markets. Giving us a Test against the Boks or Argies once a year isn't cutting the mustard. Hopefully the launch of the new Perth Stadium in late 2017 will attract a Bledisloe Cup test.

I know the Force are doing it tough, we didn't even get our Line Break season guide sent out this year, it was emailed. There has been zero advertising on TV in the newspapers or anything. No banners on St Georges Terrace or around town advertising home games. No buses decked out with Force advertising on the backs. The Force have dropped so far off the radar in the sporting pecking order over here. They need to be looking at a major revamp to inject some life and energy into the organisation. We have certainly invested our time and money into the team over the years and all we want is to see a bit of success.

If we win they will come.
Id be all for a cost of living allowance for the force.. but i also think you guys need to get a coach and program up that drives success.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Id be all for a cost of living allowance for the force.. but i also think you guys need to get a coach and program up that drives success.

It's all interconnected.

It's not exactly easy to attract the best coaches going around to a team that has only ever achieved middling results.

Like they do with players, you end up having to pay overs to employ the same coach as another team.

M

Moono75

The problem with the Force is that we have never had everything aligned at the right time. Top line administration/CEO, top line players, top line coach, money in the bank, great playing venue. We have had some of these at different points in time but you can argue never together at the one time.

If only we could turn back time and have Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Staniforth, Shepherd, Junior Ioane, Sharpe, Hodgo, Pocock, James O'Connor at their peaks with a top coach in a profitable Force environment playing at NIB stadium.

Some very good players have come through the Force but we haven't been able to capitalise on the opportunities presented to us.

Whilst a lot of people say we shouldn't bring in star players etc we need to build through the local competition....CRAP. Bring back the days where you had bloody talented guys on the field that could pull off some magic!

We need a benefactor to splash the cash and get things back on track. We are still the only professional sports team I can think of without a major sponsor. That speaks volumes as to what the corporate world thinks of the Force.

M

Moono75

I think Godwin and Taps will make a better centres combination if and when Godwin beats the injury bug. We could certainly do with finding a Ma'a Nonu type centre.....plenty of them floating round o_O

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Forcefans, Nathan Charles reportedly will be on the move overseas next season. After being stuck on the pine behind Tessman it seems he will look elsewhere And the likely place seems to be in the UK.

T

TOCC

Forcefans, Nathan Charles reportedly will be on the move overseas next season. After being stuck on the pine behind Tessman it seems he will look elsewhere And the likely place seems to be in the UK.
That is in addition to Ollie Hoskins, Rory Walton, Junior Rasolea and Steve Mafi who are also heading overseas.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The problem with the Force is that we have never had everything aligned at the right time. Top line administration/CEO, top line players, top line coach, money in the bank, great playing venue. We have had some of these at different points in time but you can argue never together at the one time.

If only we could turn back time and have Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Staniforth, Shepherd, Junior Ioane, Sharpe, Hodgo, Pocock, James O'Connor at their peaks with a top coach in a profitable Force environment playing at NIB stadium.

Some very good players have come through the Force but we haven't been able to capitalise on the opportunities presented to us.

Whilst a lot of people say we shouldn't bring in star players etc we need to build through the local competition..CRAP. Bring back the days where you had bloody talented guys on the field that could pull off some magic!

We need a benefactor to splash the cash and get things back on track. We are still the only professional sports team I can think of without a major sponsor. That speaks volumes as to what the corporate world thinks of the Force.

Only thing we do know is a) the force and rebels do not play on a level playing field b) both force and rebels are important markets for rugby via national footprint and Growth in vic and wa markets

Seen aru step in and provide financial Support for rebels and force which is good but more needs to be done to help them grow and attract quality players and crowds

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

There are contingencies in place already
Tessman is doing fine and is only 31
Tom Sexton is on EPS and is 26 yet to see the best of him at Rebels/Force

Harry Scoble has been groomed for a couple years in Future Force Academy was good Australian Hooker at Under 20 level still only 21 and had two good Hookers last year in Pindan who played NRC in Anaru Rangi amd Conan Houkamau

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Godwin hasn't impressed me one bit. He might have some pretty looking muscle but it only looks so big because his frame is so small. If he was a play maker then fine but he's not and without the added strength and weight bigger bones bring he lacks the power to be a ball runner.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

i still wonder why the old Brumbies system hasn't been replicated. Get that small block of flats for all the developing interstate players to live in.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Godwin hasn't impressed me one bit. He might have some pretty looking muscle but it only looks so big because his frame is so small. If he was a play maker then fine but he's not and without the added strength and weight bigger bones bring he lacks the power to be a ball runner.

And yet a couple of seasons ago, before his injury problems, he was well and truly in the frame for Wallaby selection. I think he's got ability and with the right guidance could be back up there again.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
And yet a couple of seasons ago, before his injury problems, he was well and truly in the frame for Wallaby selection. I think he's got ability and with the right guidance could be back up there again.

If you want to think that. He was brought into the Wallaby squad to improve him and so he could take things he learnt back to the Force, but he was never a chance of making the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.