• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Foley came out today stating that we'll see "play with more speed and movement in 2016". Less kicking, more running the ball. Excited to see how this is implemented.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
I think its purely based on how unsuccessful the teams kicking was last year. Ebersohn was top in kicks in play, most of which did nothing to really help us. The amount of times we kicked it down the throat of the opposition rather than eat up the space in front was infuriating.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
less kicking is interesting. Isn't that Peter Grant's go to?

Maybe the Jono Lance introduction will help, he had a good NRC so I hope that he gets to start at 10 for the Force. Australian rugby needs a strong, exciting team in WA (and in Qld....).

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Doubt they'll be anymore signings barring injuries, so im thinking we'll look like this.

1. Pek Cowan
2. Nathan Charles
3. Tetera Faulkner
4. Steve Mafi
5. Adam Coleman
6. Gus Cottrell
7. Matt Hodgson
8. Ben McCalman
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Peter Grant
11.Marcel Brache
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Luke Morahan
15. Dane Haylett-Petty

Only position im not 100% about is the #11. Marcel is solid, but theres a few players laying claim to a winger spot this offseason (Lacey, Nikoro)

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder when (if) Ollie Hoskins will come good as a tighthead. I am in the middle of re-watching the Aus v Arg semi-final. For those who think Ollie is too tall, Ramiro Herrera, arguably the best tighthead at the RWC, is 3 or 4 centimetres taller.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Grant will start the season barring any injuries for sure. He's the marquee.

Ollie has struggled a bit recently, you'd have to think Millar, Van Wyk and Heiberg are the bench options unless he improves.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

Ollie has struggled a bit recently, you'd have to think Millar, Van Wyk and Heiberg are the bench options unless he improves.
Don't sweat, we've never had a Marquee 10 make the pitch yet. They all break down pre season (or get caught stealing).

Sias was development so doesn't count.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)

The Force shelled out for Steenkamp as a marquee and he started about 2 games in 2 years. Grant may find himself cooking the Broerwors at the team Braai if Foley takes a dislike to him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Foley came out today stating that we'll see "play with more speed and movement in 2016". Less kicking, more running the ball. Excited to see how this is implemented.

Why buy in Grant if he intends a "running" game. It would be interesting to see a Foley coached team run the ball, I can't recall a team with him in the head coaching role (or shared with Hickey) doing anything but kick and hope (defend).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
that means the 13 gets to come in & pick & go when the pigs start to tire from it.....
He has hardly assembled a side to play a wide expansive game,John Grant is no Quade,and Lance is hardly creative at this level.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He'll get the team running with the ball more to make the kicking game - i.e. the core gameplan - more effective

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Honest question but what does Marcel Brache contribute to the team that any half decent shute shield outside back does not? Wouldn't a better option be to develop an Australian player than import someone of his standard?

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Force could do worse that pick up Fotu Auelua as back row cover, pretty sure he has been released from his Brumbies contract. Is he having injury issues or do they think that Vaea has displaced him in the squad?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Force could do worse that pick up Fotu Auelua as back row cover, pretty sure he has been released from his Brumbies contract. Is he having injury issues or do they think that Vaea has displaced him in the squad?
The Force are pretty well stocked with McCalman, Cottrell, Stander, Hodgo, Alcock, Koteka and the utilities Mafi and RHP.

I would say we could use a linebusting centre a la Tom Hill because he looks quality; that and we have all steppers and no hard runners in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.