• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought Richard Hardwick also showed plenty of promise in the limited game time he had at the end of the season. Seemed to have the skills and a good tough attitude to go with it.

Yeah Dickie is great. I've watched him playing 1st Grade for Uni the last few seasons and he's got the kind of mongrel I like to see in a forward. He'll get even better from here. Local boy too.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Western Force will add to their backline stocks for the 2017-2018 seasons with the signing of 25-year-old Gloucester centre Bill Meakes on a two year deal.
https://www.westernforce.com.au/article/meakes-joins-force-two-year-deal

Bill was the flyhalf at Joeys the year after Beale left and was neither the best nor the worst in the GPS. He was a decent player at Norths in the mid-field, and I can't remember him for Oz 7s to be honest.

But some people thrive in English rugby, as the likes of Julian Salvi have; so he could be a good 'un for the Force. He's a big lad and will be direct, but being the pivot in his school days will do him no harm.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bill was the flyhalf at Joeys the year after Beale left and was neither the best nor the worst in the GPS. He was a decent player at Norths in the mid-field, and I can't remember him for Oz 7s to be honest.

But some people thrive in English rugby, as the likes of Julian Salvi have; so he could be a good 'un for the Force. He's a big lad and will be direct, but being the pivot in his school days will do him no harm.

I'm hoping we can move Tapuai in one for Godwin and stick Meakes at 13. If Jono Lance stays fit, we have a serviceable backline next season.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
From the Payto&Panda column:
A WISE MOVE BY FORCE?

SCOTT Wisemantel and Brian Smith have emerged as contenders for the Western Force coaching job, despite assumptions Matt O’Connor will be heading across the Nullabor after missing the Reds gig.

Queensland were one of two big clubs to make coaching appointments this week, opting for Nick Stiles over O’Connor, his co-coach for most of the season.

Snip

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/02b4b8ae0c655ac9527696778c8822b5

Anyone with more insight able to shed light on the merits of Wisemantel and/or Smith has [head] coaches?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rebels could use taps as a centre option if they lose Ellison and Inman......But Force can't afford to lose a quality 12 options with Godwin leaving surely.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
sef dom and english are all part time 13s, taps is a 12, but yeh hodge and tuipolotu are the top 12 options there. Is inman staying?

anyway hmm..let's hope taps stays there and gets an ok combo with meakes.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hodge and Inman finished the year as our preferred center pairing and both are contracted for next year. Sione will push for a starting spot before too long. Sefa is a very good outside center, he's played all his club and NRC footy there, as well as a handful of Soup games, and with Fou, Engo, Koroibete and Dom all on the books, he'll likely end up there more often than not.

Besides, Force thread. I think a few of your losses suck, but Daley, Matwijow and Meakes are all good value pickups. 10-12-13 axis of Lance-Tapuai-Meakes with a back 3 of Morahan, DHP and AN Other is quality, while Matwijow will be a better option than a regressing Mafi and a RHP who seems to be better off the bench.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Besides, Force thread. I think a few of your losses suck, but Daley, Matwijow and Meakes are all good value pickups. 10-12-13 axis of Lance-Tapuai-Meakes with a back 3 of Morahan, DHP and AN Other is quality, while Matwijow will be a better option than a regressing Mafi and a RHP who seems to be better off the bench.

I'd prefer RHP at eight to be honest.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Like the sound of Brian Smith as a coach.
Wouldn't be terrible. There was a bit of dissent from players toward him at the RWC 2011 and England were terrible there. Might just be them.

Like the idea of our head coach having plenty of experience as an attack coach. Would prefer Wisemantel- looked over the resume and it gave a better feeling- don't know why.

Reactions: mst

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
MOC would be a train wreck at the Force, no difference to his time at the Reds.

He would be better gong offshore - somewhere.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
6971671fa4f407010778c6dbab28461d.jpg

I'm uploading this picture partly to remind us of happier times, but mainly to get rid of that awful 'Weestain Force' newspaper pic that Tapatalk keeps showing as the thread cover image (I assume Tapatalk just shows the most recent image to be uploaded in the thread?)

Status
Not open for further replies.