• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Isa Naisarani of Brisbane City has apparently been snapped up. Fits the mould of bullocking eighthman, with the right athletic attributes to fill the vertically challenged void in the Force backrow

Edit
Source:

Well done on the Force picking up a real good'un from what we've seen so far this season.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Article in today's Australian about Wessels approach qld and nsw about a player loan system. Basically a squad player still contract to qld/nsw but stuck behind test players would head over to the force where he might start but could be called back with a weeks notice in the event of injury - example used was lukhan Tui. Stiles is sympathetic but has shut it down saying the squad depth isn't there. Be great if something like this could work but understandable given the position he is in.

Even though nothing will probably come of this it's good to see Wessels is getting creative with recruitment, he has a hell of a task ahead of him.

G_Beard

Stan Wickham (3)
That is a brilliant idea, not only for all developing teams, but also for Australian Rugby.
This thinking may help to stem the potential tide of players heading overseas as a first option.
The platforms that have been put in place at the Force and RugbyWA over the last three/four seasons need another 2-3 years for fruition.
I hope we get the chance and time frame for that to happen

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's sort of what happened with Nathan Charles.

I think it's good for your 4th string hooker/halfback for example, less so for your 2nd or 3rd string.

G_Beard

Stan Wickham (3)
Dangerous.

Could encourage the concentration of talent in NSW and Queensland to a greater extent than now.

How so? They way I'm looking at it, this will expose more players to more rugby and spread the talent pool around.
Almost the exact opposite of what Toulon is doing by buying talented players and watching them warm bus seats, not even being seated on the reserves bench.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How so? They way I'm looking at it, this will expose more players to more rugby and spread the talent pool around.
Almost the exact opposite of what Toulon is doing by buying talented players and watching them warm bus seats, not even being seated on the reserves bench.
Tahs sign a bunch of locks 3-5 years ago.

Neville. Skelton. Matwijow. Coleman. Jeffries. Lousi.

Plus they have Mumm, Douglas, Dennis and such on the books.

One or two are kept as depth, the rest are sent out on loan to other sides.

Coleman is the top performer of all of these players over a year or two of loaning, then Neville, then Skelton.

So Mumm, Douglas and Dennis all move overseas, but three of the "best" half dozen or so young locks are with the Tahs, and the cycle repeats with Phillip, Tui, McCauley, Toleafoa etc.

Same could go with the Reds, with guys like Enever & Arnold, Murday, McDuling. Even the Toolis twins for that matter. As Horwill leaves and Wallace Harrison retires, Enever and Arnold get pulled back into the squad, keeping the Reds at high strength while weakening the Force/Rebels and to a lesser extent Brumbies.

The majority of NH loaning takes place down divisions, unless it's a precursor to a move between seasons, or as injury cover.

Almost all developmental loaning sees Pro12 and Premiership players in the Championship and Top14 & Italian Players in the ProD2.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Tahs sign a bunch of locks 3-5 years ago.

Neville. Skelton. Matwijow. Coleman. Jeffries. Lousi.

Plus they have Mumm, Douglas, Dennis and such on the books.

One or two are kept as depth, the rest are sent out on loan to other sides.

Coleman is the top performer of all of these players over a year or two of loaning, then Neville, then Skelton.

So Mumm, Douglas and Dennis all move overseas, but three of the "best" half dozen or so young locks are with the Tahs, and the cycle repeats with Phillip, Tui, McCauley, Toleafoa etc.

Same could go with the Reds, with guys like Enever & Arnold, Murday, McDuling. Even the Toolis twins for that matter. As Horwill leaves and Wallace Harrison retires, Enever and Arnold get pulled back into the squad, keeping the Reds at high strength while weakening the Force/Rebels and to a lesser extent Brumbies.

The majority of NH loaning takes place down divisions, unless it's a precursor to a move between seasons, or as injury cover.

Almost all developmental loaning sees Pro12 and Premiership players in the Championship and Top14 & Italian Players in the ProD2.
With squad size limits they would be seriously overstocked on locks or be doling out ground hire fees like they were going out of business to keep under the salary cap. I also don't think any franchise has the financial wherewithal to do this. Having said that I don't think it is a good idea and would make the Force a development team for the stronger franchises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I really don't see it as been a realistic option or regularly employed, as mentioned already squad sizes mean teams have to be ruthless and objective about depth in different positions.

Let's say the Brumbies have 3 hookers on the books, Force request that one of them comes to the Force.. Then in one game the leading two Brumbies hookers get injured and may not play the following week, do the Brumbies recall that player on the basis that the starting hookers may not play?

What if a player is in poor form and that coach wants to rotate the players to send a message, do they recall players from another club?

I think there is the occasional case where it may be applicable, but certainly can't see it been regularly applied.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
In our somewhat shallow but concentrated rugby environment the idea has some merit in principle. It needs co-operative development, sensible agreement together with strict protocols could see it get up.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
In a one off e.g. Charles it worked well. But it has to be a season long deal.. like a soccer loan. His ours (under our cap of players) but we will loan him to you for the season so you pay his wage and he goes towards your cap..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don't see it as been a realistic option or regularly employed, as mentioned already squad sizes mean teams have to be ruthless and objective about depth in different positions.

Let's say the Brumbies have 3 hookers on the books, Force request that one of them comes to the Force.. Then in one game the leading two Brumbies hookers get injured and may not play the following week, do the Brumbies recall that player on the basis that the starting hookers may not play?

What if a player is in poor form and that coach wants to rotate the players to send a message, do they recall players from another club?

I think there is the occasional case where it may be applicable, but certainly can't see it been regularly applied.

Yeah, it's one of those ideas, much like a draft, that sound nice but just couldn't work............

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think that was the original idea of the EPS contracts (that teams could request unused players from other EPS squads). I could see some merit in the idea but can't see it working until there is better depth in Aussie rugby and at that point I'd hope the Force are in a better footing (or even still in existence).

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
On a positive note it looks like the Force are building their coaching setup nicely with Alan Gaffney in as an attack consultant - looks like an ARU appointment until they establish their own attack coach. From the comments Gaffney has made it seems like there is a change in mindset about how they will play the game. They've certainly got a decent mix of players in the backline now (which has been their problem area, they have usually looked pretty good in the forwards) with Lance, Tapuai, Morahan, Haylett-Petty, Meakes and Rona - Ian Prior looked pretty decent this year as well. I'm sure there are some other additions to their squad but they haven't updated their website to reflect it yet, they still have Mathewson and Godwin listed. The concern might be if Lance gets injured again then who is suited to step in?

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Can any informed Force fan shed light on the recruitment strategy at the moment?

Early on they managed to snag young QLD talent like Pocock & O'Connor plus big money signings Giteau & Sharpe helped make the Force competitive but have regressed with a roster that doesnt exactly pull crowds & poor coaching. All the talk of new ball in hand style of play didn't materialise well this year.

They don't seem to be on-the-ball with QLD talent as much anymore, there is many prospects that go unsigned & unwanted that are worth the shot. It doesn't help when top emerging talent dissapears inter state either. They got 1 from Brisbane City but could get alot more.

Targetting Jayden Ngamanu & Nick Jooste for a return would be a long term investment worth pursuing in next couple of years. Once they graduate from 20s, if they are stuck behind others they could be tempted to return west for a shot.

Some of the best prospects in QLD; halfback Isaac Fines, natural attacking player was the best player (IMO) in QPR this year. Stuck behind Frisby, Tuttle & Sororvi but I'd say is more polished than the former 2 and could be alot better than Frisby.

Sam Greene, best all round flyhalf prospect (currently playing in Japan) was IMO best player in QPR last year. Greene at NRC level showed same QPR form making line breaks, line break assists and superior kicking and passing skills. Unrated by Reds and not given chance after unwavering support for McIntyre.

Jack De Guingard; dominant openside in QPR, played some footy in Victoria so doesnt get the heralded praise & recognition from QLD selectors. In & out of NRC.

Other non-system guys; Nate Russell (Inside Centre)

Some guys coming through 20s system moving into opens (worth monitoring over next few seasons); Alex Mafi (Hooker), Joey Fittock (Wing), Jayden Ngamanu (Fullback).

Schoolboys; Isaac Lucas, Will Eadie, Len Ikitau, Tautau Kapea, Willie Malala, Semesi Tupou, Ashton Watson.

Does anyone know how advanced the scouting is in QLD?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On a positive note it looks like the Force are building their coaching setup nicely with Alan Gaffney in as an attack consultant - looks like an ARU appointment until they establish their own attack coach.

Best purchase by the Force for ages

Status
Not open for further replies.