• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Hopefully this will help the Force be a real speed bump for a number of sides this year.

Sorry, couldn't resist or think of a better pun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I'm actually excited by the Force backline, it's just a shame about Lance, any word on his progress?

I'm keen to see how the outside backs go, Morohan, DHP, Rona and Peni are all around 190cm and 100kg, it'll be interesting to see how they are used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
I'm actually excited by the Force backline, it's just a shame about Lance, any word on his progress?

I'm keen to see how the outside backs go, Morohan, DHP, Rona and Peni are all around 190cm and 100kg, it'll be interesting to see how they are used.

Rona will be a 13 if they play Meakes at 12. Peni an option off the bench. Morahan on one wing and DHP at Full back. All a case of Jono Lance being fit. Personally would prefer to see Meakes at 13 and Rona opposite Morahan and Peni at 12. Be interesting to see if Chance is ready to start in Super Rugby.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Starting backs would probably be:

9. Louwrens
10. Lance
11. Morahan
12. Meakes
13. Rona
14. Masirewa
15. DHP

Still have Peni, Robbie Coleman, Brache, Luke Burton (If he stays fit and more likely to play at 10 if needed) & Alex Newsome. A little bit of depth is good.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Starting backs would probably be:

9. Louwrens
10. Lance
11. Morahan
12. Meakes
13. Rona
14. Masirewa
15. DHP

Still have Peni, Robbie Coleman, Brache, Luke Burton (If he stays fit and more likely to play at 10 if needed) & Alex Newsome. A little bit of depth is good.

Pretty handy!

Is there a chance of Coleman at 12 and Rona on the wing?

I don't think you bring a starter player like Coleman over to bench him.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Pretty handy!

Is there a chance of Coleman at 12 and Rona on the wing?

I don't think you bring a starter player like Coleman over to bench him.

Im not really sure. Personally id love to see Rona on the wing because of his history of scoring in the NRL (depending on the service). He's been training in the centres though.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Im not really sure. Personally id love to see Rona on the wing because of his history of scoring in the NRL (depending on the service). He's been training in the centres though.

Fair enough, I guess they're get better ROI for him in the centres - still a tall ask for a converted player (even if he's played before).

T

TOCC

That's a very direct style of backline, which tends to suit Lance and his style of play anyway.. and despite having some massive outside backs they still have a bit of gas to them

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Very direct. I wonder if Robbie Coleman will be used as a bit of an impact sub at 12 to add an extra playmaker for the final 20 minutes. Also makes me wonder if bigger bodies means more of a defensive mindset.

T

TOCC

I think it tends to reflect Stiles comments that Super Rugby and defensive patterns have evolved to requiring bigger bodies getting across the advantage line.

It may also be in line with the new rules on tackling which potentially opens up the off-loading game, better suited to your taller/bigger bodies players.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It may also be in line with the new rules on tackling which potentially opens up the off-loading game, better suited to your taller/bigger bodies players.

I would have thought that the rule change means off loads become easier without the additional height and that it opens opportunity in attack for smaller stature.

Height and size in theory was "lasy year" in terms of modern systems. These are guesses though until we see it in action. Hasnt Eddie Jones opted for smaller?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hasn't Eddie Jones opted for smaller?

No, Eddies opted for players who can pass, catch, tackle and beat a man one on one, ie backs who have the basic rugby skills requisite to play the game - revolutionary eh !

M

Moono75

So this is what 2017 looks like? Interesting.

.....not long to go now. The Sea of Blue is restless

Status
Not open for further replies.