• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's a bit hard to know at this stage.
The team summaries in this "Rugby Discussion" section are currently indicating the following numbers:
Brumbies - 34
Rebels - 29
Reds - 21 (+3 Devt squad)
Waratahs - 23
Western Force - 31
There's obviously more to come for most of the teams.

Based on who has turned up at pre-season for the Reds, they’ve got a full squad signed plus a few training for contracts.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
WESTERN FORCE PARTNER WITH O’NEILLS

December 2, 2020

The Western Force is delighted to announce O’Neills, the international sportswear apparel company, as the club’s official kit supplier for the 2021 season.

Read more.....(but not much more)

Brands delivered by O'neills include: Under Armour, New Era, Skechers and Puma

Perhaps an association which developed after the Rob Kearney recruitment.
A bit of a surprise to WF fans who thought that Paladin Sports had done a good job.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sure, and U2 will be doing pre-match concerts................

It probably has something to do with O’Neills getting more involved in the Australian sporting market, and already supplying apparel for another Australian Super Rugby team.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
WESTERN FORCE PARTNER WITH O’NEILLS

December 2, 2020

The Western Force is delighted to announce O’Neills, the international sportswear apparel company, as the club’s official kit supplier for the 2021 season.

Read more...(but not much more)

Brands delivered by O'neills include: Under Armour, New Era, Skechers and Puma

A bit of a surprise to WF fans who thought that Paladin Sports had done a good job.

Brands delivered is only in the form of a distributor, those brands mentioned don’t form part of O’Neills and won’t have anything to do with the Force. O'Neill's are an expanding brand in Australia though, now partnered with the Brumbies, Adelaide Crows and Force.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
This really is an exciting time to be a Force fan.
We all know what has happened and how painful it was to be a Force fan a few years back when it all came crashing down.

For me the Force is something my Dad and I do together. My Dad and I are bonded by rugby. Growing up in Ireland my Dad took me to watch Richmond games (the club he played for) and Shannon games at the famous Thomond Park in Limerick. He’d also take me to Five Nations games at the old Lansdowne Road which are some of my first vivid memories. I still have tickets and programs from these games.

We emigrated to Australia when I was eleven and we’d go to any internationals that were here in Perth together. We were so excited when the Force was announced and bought our season tickets for the first (and subsequent seasons). Rugby and the Force is something that bonds my Dad and I.
I’ve got a five year old girl who I took to Force games and a one year old boy (who hasn’t been yet), I genuinely thought I might not get a chance to take them and see if they will love them as much as my Dad and I have.
My Dad is in his 70’s and he’s retired. The rugby is one of the few things he genuinely looks forward to. So losing the Force as a Super team at the top level was so disappointing for him.

I can’t describe how excited we were last season to suddenly have a team back in the Super Rugby. To many people seeing a team lose eight out of eight games would be a chore. But try having it all taken away from you and then you realise it’s not about winning. It’s about having a team, a community and something to rally around. Seeing players like Pek Cowan answer the call last season and come back and play in a losing team was inspirational. Jeremy Thrush gives it his all. I cannot wait to see him again in an improved team this year.

Twiggy can be a polarizing man however I cannot fault what him, the Hodgsons and many nameless people have done to keep the Force alive. We now have a team in the NRC named the Force, we have great facilities. We have Super Rugby back.

This year it appears we have a squad that will win some games. Being Irish born it’s a little bit special seeing Rob Kearney line out. Michael McDonald too. O’Neills making the kits.
We will get to see Kuridrani in a Force jersey, Tomas Cubelli, Montoya. It’s an exciting time. Kyle Godwin has shown his class coming back last season.

We don’t have a perfect squad. I’d love more local players but sadly when the pipeline was cut off four years ago that diverted some of that talent away and blocked possibly others. But we won’t be far off getting that going again. Now the 13/14/15 year olds have something local to aim for again. We have a few journeymen, a good few internationals. But this will make us competitive. Over time we will get young Aussies again. Some will be Western Australians and others will be from the east. We will give chances to other players from the east like we did with Hodgo and Pek and Pocock and O’Connor and have exciting days again.

This feels hard earned. COVID has done a lot of damage but somehow something good has come out of this horrible virus. It’s allowed me to purchase a seat with my Dad for Super Rugby in 2021 to follow our team. And all across WA there are dads and mums and their kids doing the same.
I cannot wait for that first game against the Brumbies on 19th February. COVID willing it will be a full house. The atmosphere will be special. And I’ll be there with my Dad. Just like I was at Lansdowne Road in 1983 and just like I was at Subiaco Oval in 2006.

PS. Sorry for the self indulgent piece. Just felt I had to get it out.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Excellent signings.
Lifts the announced squad to 34.

Rising Argentinian Stars Join the Force
December 7, 2020
The Western Force has added further World Cup and Tri-Nations experience to the squad with Argentina internationals Tomás Lezana (26yo - Back Row), Santiago Medrano (24yo - TH Prop) and Domingo Miotti (24yo - FH).

Read more...........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As most of the Argentina national test team is going to come from the western force - maybe Argentina test squad should be based out of Perth.

I do think it is fab though as to me if we have to go outside to attract quality players to raise the standard shorty term and get more fans engaged so be it. As force also investing in grass roots to build the local pipeline but we know that takes time.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Cracking signings. The good news just keeps on rolling in.

Even at our best in Super Rugby we've generally struggled for a top class 10. Great that we now have a number of options there.

Also delighted we've added to the back row. Still feels light on there but hopefully some more news coming shortly.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Definitely very excited here in the West.

So where are we at the with squad for 2021?

Loosehead
Robertson
Wagner

Hooker
Montoya
Ready
Kaitu'u

Tighthead
Medrano
Longbottom
Holmes

Second Row
Thrush
Lee-Warner
MacCauley

Blind Side
Lezzana - to be announced imminently
Anstee

Open Side
Koteka

Number Eight
Stander

Scrum Half
Cubelli
McDonald
Prior

Out Half
McIntyre
Lance
Iglasias - to be announced imminently

Centres
Godwin
Kuridrani
Kahui

Wings
Brache
Ralston
Lacey
Pulu

Full Back
Kearney
McGregor
Strachan

Not sure I have this 100% and I might have missed a few. If anyone notices any please let me know.

Definitely feel a touch light on in the second and back row. Hopefully a few more to come in there. I still can't understand getting rid of Stowers and Ferris who were excellent players.

I'd like to see another top class second row alongside another development player.
Then another couple of back rows. Definitely need an experienced openside to fight for the sport with Koteka and another 6/8 to challenge Stander.

Potential 23 starting to look decent and should win a few games;

1. Robertson
2. Montoya
3. Medrano
4. Thrush
5. Lee Warner
6. Lezana
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. Iglasias/Mc Intyre
11. Ralston
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Pulu
15. Kearney

16. Ready/Kaitu'u
17. Wagner
18. Longbottom/Holmes
19. McCauley
20. Anstee
21. McDonald/Prior
22. McIntyre/Lance
23. Lacey/McGregor/Strachan

I see Placid is still training with the squad too.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another success story for WA rugby pathway

December 10, 2020
With a number of players returning home to represent the Western Force next year, it signified a poignant reminder of the success of the WA rugby pathway. But it’s not just a pathway for players that has been created.

Earlier this month, former Wests Scarborough Premier Grade Head Coach and internationally experienced Dylan Parsons was named Head Coach of the academy department at the Western Force.

Read more.......

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the sad things about COVID was no U20s rugby. I'd have loved to have seen if Jackson Pugh, Grason Makara, Reece Anapu, Oli Callan and Alex Masibaka made the cut, and if so, how they went.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
WESTERN FORCE - CONFIRMED 2021 PLAYING SQUAD

I'll add to this as it happens.........

Prop:
Chris Heiberg - 2021
Greg Holmes - 2021
Kieran Longbottom - 2021
Santiago Medrano - 2022 (Pumas)
Tom Robertson - 2021 (TBC)
Angus Wagner - 2022

Hooker
Feleti Kaitu'u - 2022
Julian Montoya - 2021 (Pumas)
Andrew Ready - 2022

Lock
Fergus Lee-Warner - 2022
Ryan McCauley - 2022
Jeremy Thrush - 2021

Back Row
Tim Anstee - 2022
Ollie Callan - 2022
Kane Koteka - 2022
Tomas Lezana - 2022 (Pumas)
Brynard Stander - 2022

Srumhalf
Tomas Cubelli - 2021 (Pumas)
Michael McDonald - 2022
Ian Prior - 2022

Flyhalf
Jono Lance - 2021
Jake McIntyre - 2022
Domingo Miotti - 2021 (Pumas)

Centre
Kyle Godwin - 2022
Richard Kahui - 2021
Tevita Kuridrani - 2021
Henry Taefu - 2021

Outside Back
Marcel Brache - 2022
Brad Lacey - 2022
Toni Pulu - 2021
Byron Ralston - 2022

Fullback
Rob Kearney - 2021
Jack McGregor (FH) - 2022
Jake Strachan - 2022

Coaches/Support Group
Tim Sampson - Head Coach - 2022
John McKee - Assistant Coach
Nick Hensley - Defence Coach
Anthony Cutrupi - Head of Athletic Performance
Luke Cooke - Head of Performance Analysis

Dylan Parsons - Head Coach WF Academy
Brendan Loag - RugbyWA Pathway Manager

Squad now looking decent.

Where do you feel we're short?

Do you think we'll get anymore in?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's only really lock depth that's in question, but they could get away with combinations of Lee-Warner, Thrush and Anstee.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
It's only really lock depth that's in question, but they could get away with combinations of Lee-Warner, Thrush and Anstee.

Agree about lock but definitely feels we're an injury or two away from a crisis in second row/back row.
Would be more confident with another couple of signings there.

Every other position has 2-3 players

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree about lock but definitely feels we're an injury or two away from a crisis in second row/back row.
Would be more confident with another couple of signings there.

Every other position has 2-3 players

how does this compare with the relative strength of other squads?