• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Force fans should have high expectations this year.
Stating props are second only to the Brumbies. Hooker maybe equivalent to Tahs as the least impressive
Second row is not hugely impressive but no team is this year so not really a discriminator.
Lezana and Stander put the back row on equal footing with the best in SRAU.
Cubelli and Miotti is a huge advantage over everyone. Miotti the best 10 in SRAU
Centre pairing of Godwin and TK second only to the Reds.
And a back 3 of Pulu, Ralston and Kearney is at least equal to all opponents.

They should be aiming for the final at least.

Ben Darwin would like a word.

They have the makings of a strong squad but cohesion and experience playing together count for a lot.

Alex Ross (28)
Ben Darwin would like a word.

They have the makings of a strong squad but cohesion and experience playing together count for a lot.

Pretty sure Cubelli and Miotti have met. Godwin and TK spent plenty of time together at the brumbies. This is not a Baa Baa’s side meeting on the bus on the way to the ground...

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Less than a month to go.
Definitely might take a bit of time for cohesion but we've got home games and an infinitely better squad.
We'll be competitive.

I cannot being to imagine the atmosphere at that first game. Even if only allowed half capacity it's going to be great.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The side will be more cohesive than last season. We had a lot of guys (Lance, Godwin, Kahui, Frisby, etc) who came in at the last moment. A proper pre-season will help.

Better squad, more cohesive, better coaching team, hopefully some home games = better performance overall.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
The side will be more cohesive than last season. We had a lot of guys (Lance, Godwin, Kahui, Frisby, etc) who came in at the last moment. A proper pre-season will help.

Better squad, more cohesive, better coaching team, hopefully some home games = better performance overall.

You're dead right. Cannot wait.

I remember a good few players getting gassed at 50 mins mark last season in first few games. Might be a bit more up to speed this time.

What's your starting 23 for the first game (assuming all fit and available)?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Robertson
2. Kaitu'u
3. Holmes (need our best scrummager starting)
4. McCauley
5. Thrush
6. Lee-Warner
7. Lezana
8. Stander
9. Prior
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

16. Ready (Good finisher)
17. Heiberg (Longbottom if they'd let him)
18. Medrano
19. Anstee (replaces FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) who moves to the second row)
20. Koteka
21. Cubelli
22. Miotti
23. Kahui

Picked for a tighter defensive game at first with a ball running bench. Reckon the first game will be a lot of kicking and set-piece. Fitness will be down so the team that wins the ball and runs the ball in the last 20 will be coming home with a wet sail. Reckon the line-out is the only relative weakness for the Brumbies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lo
1. Robertson
2. Kaitu'u
4. McCauley
5. Thrush
6. Lee-Warner
7. Lezana
8. Stander
9. Prior
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

18. Medrano
20. Koteka
21. Cubelli
22. Miotti
23. Kahui

Picked for a tighter defensive game at first with a ball running bench. Reckon the first game will be a lot of kicking and set-piece. Fitness will be down so the team that wins the ball and runs the ball in the last 20 will be coming home with a wet sail. Reckon the line-out is the only relative weakness for the Brumbies.[/quote

While the force squad side improved in quality - the forward pack still not as strong as other sides - missing out on Argentina hooker was big hit for me as thought he could have added a point of differnce.

The more I look at that 23 the more I feel I might have overestimated the potential for improvement in super rugby this year. The force should improve with those players but maybe not as much as I originally thought. Realistically if they could come 3rd this season that would be good outcome.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
*The more I look at that 23 the more I feel I might have overestimated the potential for improvement for super rugby this year.*

Not sure if I’m agreeing or disagreeing. I think that is an awesome 23 and a solid step up from last year which also was sensational with a standing start and living away from home. BUT I never bought the theories of winning the comp in 21. 3rd was always going to be solid. As some have pointed out, a rest from the final and refreshed for the TT - it is a period that could be good for Force supporters.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah I’m really keen to see a much improved western force team, improved competitiveness across the competition is a positive for the fans and especially then leading into the TT tournament, all teams need to have solid depth.

I think the recruitment they’ve done is pretty solid given the circumstances and timeline they had, its certainly a massive improvement on last season and even then they gave a few teams a run for their money at times last year.

Reactions: dru

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
*The more I look at that 23 the more I feel I might have overestimated the potential for improvement for super rugby this year.*

Not sure if I’m agreeing or disagreeing. I think that is an awesome 23 and a solid step up from last year which also was sensational with a standing start and living away from home. BUT I never bought the theories of winning the comp in 21. 3rd was always going to be solid. As some have pointed out, a rest from the final and refreshed for the TT - it is a period that could be good for Force supporters.
Third should be the aim, but of course the organization should say otherwise. The Reds and Brumbies are far too strong. It is a shame Jake Ball won't be here for a while- feel he is the missing link for hoping for more.

Reactions: dru

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
1. Robertson
2. Kaitu'u
4. McCauley
5. Thrush
6. Lee-Warner
7. Lezana
8. Stander
9. Prior
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

18. Medrano
20. Koteka
21. Cubelli
22. Miotti
23. Kahui

That team looks about right, except Wagner would definitely be ahead of Heiberg on his form last year. Looking a bit short on depth at lock and backrow however, but hopefully one or two youngsters step up in that area.
Tough to leave Lance, McGregor, Taefu and McDonald out of the team, but we have very good depth at 9, 10, 12 & 13.

Alex Ross (28)
That team looks about right, except Wagner would definitely be ahead of Heiberg on his form last year. Looking a bit short on depth at lock and backrow however, but hopefully one or two youngsters step up in that area.
Tough to leave Lance, McGregor, Taefu and McDonald out of the team, but we have very good depth at 9, 10, 12 & 13.
I think they would be mad not to start the Argie halves. Kind of missing a proper open side too.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I think they would be mad not to start the Argie halves. Kind of missing a proper open side too.

Surely aiming to get Tizzano back next year! Good production line of local opensides in Hardwick, Koteka, Callan and Tizzano.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Robertson
2. Kaitu'u
4. McCauley
5. Thrush
6. Lee-Warner
7. Lezana
8. Stander
9. Prior
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

18. Medrano
20. Koteka
21. Cubelli
22. Miotti
23. Kahui

Picked for a tighter defensive game at first with a ball running bench. Reckon the first game will be a lot of kicking and set-piece. Fitness will be down so the team that wins the ball and runs the ball in the last 20 will be coming home with a wet sail. Reckon the line-out is the only relative weakness for the Brumbies.

would Stander be your skipper?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If it wasn't the first game of the season, I'd definitely start the Argie halves. As it stands, I think they have a better running game than Prior/McIntyre, and I'd like to see that go up against a tiring team at the 50-60 minute mark. Prior and McIntyre are not impact players and the 1st round is likely to be a stodge fest.