• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
  1. Robertson
  2. Kaitu’u
  3. Medrano
  4. Thrush
  5. Lee-Warner
  6. Lezzana
  7. Koteka
  8. Stander
  9. Cubelli
  10. McIntyre
  11. Pulu
  12. Godwin
  13. Kuridrani
  14. Ralston
  15. Kearney

1. Ready
  2. Wagner
  3. Holmes
  4. McCauley
  5. Anstee
  6. McDonald
  7. Miotti
  8. Kahui

5 of the same pack from last year with the added grunt of Medrano and Robertson in the front row and Lezana in the back. Our pack matched others last year so hoping this will go well.
I genuinely think we’ll miss Stowers and Ferris though.

Backline looks exciting and half backs should be able to dominate (if they can get good ball). Outside backs looks loaded. If our forwards can get us parity at least (Holmes coming on at 50 should ensure our scrum is dominant at the end) then this could be exciting.

Injuries (and where they occur) are going to be the difference between finishing top three or otherwise.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well said Tim.....

Sampson sets winning expectations
January 22, 2021

Head coach Tim Sampson has set the expectations for the upcoming Super Rugby season announcing his plan for a victorious 2021.
With a strong balance of youth and experience within the squad, the Force is primed to take the 2021 season head-on.
“We have to beat everyone and that’s the plan,” Sampson said.

GettyImages-1295910802-scaled.jpg

Read more...........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
*The more I look at that 23 the more I feel I might have overestimated the potential for improvement for super rugby this year.*

Not sure if I’m agreeing or disagreeing. I think that is an awesome 23 and a solid step up from last year which also was sensational with a standing start and living away from home. BUT I never bought the theories of winning the comp in 21. 3rd was always going to be solid. As some have pointed out, a rest from the final and refreshed for the TT - it is a period that could be good for Force supporters.

I never thought winning the competition either- but thought 3rd place likely - I guess I am saying that getting 3rd place not quite as confident about...this is not a criticism btw as squad quality improved and more that I think places 3-5 more a lottery cf last year where Force were obvious candidates for wooden spoon (reflecting where came from and inability to realistically bridge the gap to move from what needed from GRR to Super Rugby level - the fact they were competitive for most part was a positive for them last year and good start to re-enter super rugby).

No one should take my comments as criticism as hard to rebuild overnight and are heading in right direction imho still from medium to long perspective with good foundations being put in place (including grass roots investment).

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In that side you’d think Prior will be.

Except I doubt Prior will start in front of Cubelli.

Realistically you would have to have Cubelli starting and Prior of the bench - but what does that mean for captaincy as isnt' Prior still the Captain!!!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That team looks about right, except Wagner would definitely be ahead of Heiberg on his form last year. Looking a bit short on depth at lock and backrow however, but hopefully one or two youngsters step up in that area.
Tough to leave Lance, McGregor, Taefu and McDonald out of the team, but we have very good depth at 9, 10, 12 & 13.

Certainly going to put more competition in at training. Lance and McGregor would be in for a shot for bench places but will need to perform on training paddock and outshine new players...

Taefu and McDonald I think will struggle for game time and need injuries to get good run. This is where I miss NRC which gives players who don't feature much during Super Rugby a chance to show what they can do on the field. I so miss the NRC as development path of best of club rugby and shadown Super Rugby players....need to somehow reinvent NRC as pathway under a different banner...

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If it wasn't the first game of the season, I'd definitely start the Argie halves. As it stands, I think they have a better running game than Prior/McIntyre, and I'd like to see that go up against a tiring team at the 50-60 minute mark. Prior and McIntyre are not impact players and the 1st round is likely to be a stodge fest.
I don’t really get the argument to start a better player from the bench and give them less minutes for the sake of impact at the best of times but there is a clear gap in class between Prior & McIntyre and Cubelli & Miotti. And given they are the halves you want them out there for 60 minutes guiding them rest of the team around. I just don’t see logic in bringing them off the bench at all.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Certainly going to put more competition in at training. Lance and McGregor would be in for a shot for bench places but will need to perform on training paddock and outshine new players.

Taefu and McDonald I think will struggle for game time and need injuries to get good run. This is where I miss NRC which gives players who don't feature much during Super Rugby a chance to show what they can do on the field. I so miss the NRC as development path of best of club rugby and shadown Super Rugby players..need to somehow reinvent NRC as pathway under a different banner.
This is a good sign when guys like McGregor & Lance are having to fight to make the 23. It means that when injuries come, and they will, you still have Super Rugby level players coming into your squad. It also means a guy like McGregor - who I thought showed plenty of promise last year - has the right competitive environment to kick on.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I know that this is the first proper year back in the fold. I fear the squad is unbalanced. Having 7 players over 33 and in particular 3 Props over 35. I realise loyalty was required but succession planning is required soon. It is probably one of Holmes, Longbottom and Heiberg that is excessive in 2021.

It is heartening to see Bo Abra training with the squad.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Holmes and Longbottom are still great scrummagers. I reckon one or both will spend some time in the injury ward. With retirements, we might have no experienced 3s in 2022.

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Holmes and Longbottom are still great scrummagers. I reckon one or both will spend some time in the injury ward. With retirements, we might have no experienced 3s in 2022.

Medrano will get alot of time in 2021, but yes its 2022 that could be a problem..

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Appears that there's been some adjustments to the Player Group during the pre-season or maybe some number limitation set by RA. Good to see Bo Abra getting a run in WA.

Western Force Fortescue Academy Officially Launched
January 28, 2021

The Western Force is thrilled to announce the official launch of our Academy.

The ultimate aim of the Western Force Fortescue Academy is to ensure the club is the number one nurturer and producer of local rugby talent in the country, with the ambition for those within the program to become fully-fledged Western Force and Wallabies players.

Fortescue Metals Group (Fortescue) will continue its successful partnership with the club as a major partner. The multi-year deal includes exclusive naming rights for the newly formed Academy.

Western Force Fortescue Academy Players
Wider Training Squad
  • Bo Abra
  • Victor Harris
  • Jackson Pugh
  • Ollie Callan
  • Grason Makara
  • Michael McDonald
Emerging Playing Squad
  • Dante Tatafu
  • Keenan Wentholt
  • Connor Seve
  • Faamanu Kalolo
  • Reece Anapu
  • Finn O’Callaghan
  • Luke Callan
  • Zantana Tupuono-Pomare
  • Alex Masibaka
  • Siosifa Amone
Read more.........

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force legend Matt Hodgson defends the club’s overseas recruitment spree as it launches a new academy
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Thu, 28 January 2021

Western Force legend Matt Hodgson has defended the club’s recruitment drive into overseas markets, saying they had deliberately avoiding stripping talent from rival Australian sides.
Hodgson, now Force head of rugby, said the announcement of the new Fortescue Force academy proved they were planning for the long term with local talent.
The Force have four Argentinian internationals, Tomas Cubelli, Tomas Lezana, Santiago Medrano and Domingo Miotti, legendary Irish full-back Rob Kearney and two former All Blacks in the squad for the Australian Super Rugby and trans-Tasman tournaments.

Critics say they should have brought in more Australian talent, but the former Force captain and record appearance holder, said:
“What we didn’t want to do was go in and drain every single club. We didn’t want to create an imbalance in the squads. If we go into the player market pretty hard and heavy then we diminish a lot of things.
We had a balanced approach and worked closely with Rugby Australia on returning Wallabies, Wallabies that possibly were leaving to go overseas, but also players that weren’t getting any game time in their current clubs. We’ve brought in a lot of experience, players with international and Super Rugby experience and depth, and players that are raw and passionate.”

Hodgson said having overseas players fill crucial spots was both a playing and commercial decision.
“No other club would have had the opportunity to bring in four internationals from Argentina. I know a few other Super teams are doing the same including bringing in players from New Zealand. Australia does have the talent, it’s the way we should approach it moving forward. You want to give the opportunity to young up and coming Australians.”

Hodgson scoffed at bookies that have the Force finishing bottom of the Super competition.
“If we named 30 Wallabies in our squad we’d still be bottom on the betting market. It’s a surprise because no-one from the outside looks in on us until game one. People will be surprised how many games we will win and the style of game. We’re pretty excited about what we’ve done already in a short period.”

Hodgson said unlike 12 months ago he could not name the likely squad for next month’s opening game against the Brumbies.
“We are able to play a different game plan based on a number of different players we have,” he said.

Launching the new academy backed by billionaire Andrew Forrest’s Fortescue Metals Group, Hodgson said: “It’s a massive step for us, bringing the academy under the Western Force again. We’re growing the game again, building from the ground up, a true pathway and an alignment is inspirational. We need to put the time and effort into these players now to get the rewards down the track.”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Welcome to the West Bo Abra.
Have been watching some of the pre-season sessions.
Bo's workrate is impressive. Gives everything his best. Shows great ball skills.
International players have been getting a lot of coverage but like the chances that the WF have offered some of Australia's young rugby talent as well as the return of Aussies from OS.
Interested to see the 2021 performances under the WF structure and emphasis on no DHs.
At this stage hoping that Perth will get to watch the 7 home games this year.

Bo.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
TK looks like he's lost 5-10kg in January.
Hope he gets to play his natural game at the WF.

TK1.jpg
TK - Early January

TK.jpg
TK - End January
Brynard S looking ready to go..

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
Western force will be the envy of all super rugby clubs in years to come. Hopefully they time it perfectly for the world cup in Australia with a heap of players out of their academy

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pleased to see some interstate trials happening.
Must be the result of some hard work behind the scenes and working within controlled spaces.
A bit of exposure should make the opening game in Perth a cracker on 19 Feb.

Force take on Brumbies in trial match ahead of season opener
January 29, 2021
The Western Force continue their preparations for the Super Rugby season in a trial match against the ACT Brumbies in Canberra on February 6
The pre-season hit-out will include three 30 minute periods and marks the first competitive action for the squad in 2021.

Match Details:
ACT Brumbies vs Western Force
Saturday, February 6th
Time: 2:30pm (AWST), 5:30pm kick-off (AEST)
Venue: Viking Park, Canberra

Read more..........

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
5 day lockdown for metro Perth, that’s going to throw the Forces pre-season into disarray