• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
5 day lockdown for metro Perth, that’s going to throw the Forces pre-season into disarray

i suggest disrupt but hardly disarray.
This is the team which spent 74 days away from home last SRAu season.
It could be more and it could be less - depending upon outcomes of contact tracing/testing.
The WF started the pre-season 6 weeks before the other SRAu squads.

This is the first community transmission case since April 2020 - and it came from a known source - a cleaner in a quarantine hotel. He was also an Uber driver but hadn't worked with Uber since his hotel exposure.
The WASafe tracing App has highlighted 16 potential exposure sites - so very widespread testing across Perth CBD through some Eastern Suburb locations out to Midland.
This could widen if any of his house mates test positive.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
i suggest disrupt but hardly disarray.
This is the team which spent 74 days away from home last SRAu season.
It could be more and it could be less - depending upon outcomes of contact tracing/testing.
The WF started the pre-season 6 weeks before the other SRAu squads.

This is the first community transmission case since April 2020 - and it came from a known source - a cleaner in a quarantine hotel. He was also an Uber driver but hadn't worked with Uber since his hotel exposure.
The WASafe tracing App has highlighted 16 potential exposure sites - so very widespread testing across Perth CBD through some Eastern Suburb locations out to Midland.
This could widen if any of his house mates test positive.

Ok, but if they can’t train together for the next week and their only trial match scheduled is cancelled as a result. I’d say that’s pretty close to disarray for their pre-season preparations.

Not a dig at the force, just highlighting the unfortunate circumstances they’re in.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Was thinking about some players the other day. There were a couple of really promising juniors that fell off the radar a bit after 2017. I was mostly thinking of Brody Macaskill. If memory serves, he was POTT in the Schools comp back in 20117, which I am guessing was Frasier McReight's year. Looks like he's gone to Japan. Wonder how many of those guys are on Matt Hodgson's radar.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good choice.
The WF certainly play better when Prior is on the field.

However, expect to see on-field leadership spread around a bit in 2021 with playing group leaders asked to step up.
On entering his 8th season with the WF I reckon Prior is entitled to lose the "journeyman" handle.

Prior to lead the Force in 2021
February 3, 2021

The Western Force is delighted to announce that Ian Prior will remain captain of the club for the 2021 Super Rugby campaign. This will be the distinguished scrumhalf’s fourth season as captain after taking the reigns in 2018.

Read more.......

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting choice. Leaving the better scrum half on the bench.
Could be that the Argies have come across with some agreement on a limiting of minutes.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looks like the new O'neill playing kit has arrived on time.
Reckon we won't see it until the first SRAU game against the Brumbies.

Here with Kane Koteka showing new FoJ sponsor Harvey Beef.

2021-02-08_8-25-11.jpg

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Team for trial game against Brumbies today;

Western Force Team List for Trial Match vs ACT Brumbies:
1. Angus Wagner, 2. Feleti Kaitu’u, 3. Kieran Longbottom, 4. Fergus Lee-Warner, 5. Tim Anstee, 6. Tomás Lezana, 7. Kane Koteka, 8. Brynard Stander, 9. Ian Prior, 10. Jono Lance, 11. Brad Lacey, 12. Kyle Godwin, 13. Tevita Kuridrani, 14. Byron Ralston, 15. Jack McGregor.
Replacements:
Jack Winchester, Scott Tolmie, Chris Heiberg, Santiago Medrano, Tom Robertson, Greg Holmes, Sam Offer, Jackson Pugh, Manu Kololo, Ollie Callan, Tomás Cubelli, Michael McDonald, Jake McIntyre, Domingo Miotti, Henry Taefu, Jake Strachan, Grason Makara, Toni Pulu, Marcel Brache, Rob Kearney, Richard Kahui.

No Thrush? Is he injured?

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Having looked at the trial game against the Brumbies, any thoughts on 23 to face Brumbies on 19th Feb?

Here's my go;

1. Robertson
2. Kaitu'u
3. Holmes
4. Thrush (if fit)
5. Lee-Warner
6. Lezana
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

16. Winchester (if Ready not available)
17. Wagner
18. Medrano
19. Anstee
20. Pugh
21. Prior
22. Miotti
23. Kahui

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Having looked at the trial game against the Brumbies, any thoughts on 23 to face Brumbies on 19th Feb?

Here's my go;

1. Robertson
2. Kaitu'u
3. Holmes
4. Thrush (if fit)
5. Lee-Warner
6. Lezana
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. McIntyre
11. Pulu
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

16. Winchester (if Ready not available)
17. Wagner
18. Medrano
19. Anstee
20. Pugh
21. Prior
22. Miotti
23. Kahui

very hard to pick with so many new players and only 1 trial. I would expect some surprises.

Wagner and Anstee could easily be in the starting side and wouldn't be surprised if he started Prior as well and bring Cubelli off the bench.

Apparently Kahui and Tevita went well together so that might force Godwin to the wing.

Also heard Strachan played well so they might start him at 15 and ease Kearney into it. So yeah basically a lot of possibilities.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
very hard to pick with so many new players and only 1 trial. I would expect some surprises.

Wagner and Anstee could easily be in the starting side and wouldn't be surprised if he started Prior as well and bring Cubelli off the bench.

Apparently Kahui and Tevita went well together so that might force Godwin to the wing.

Also heard Strachan played well so they might start him at 15 and ease Kearney into it. So yeah basically a lot of possibilities.

Absolutely. I thought Longbottom went well too and Medrano didn't seem to go that well (in the scrum) so I've probably been unfair to select Medrano ahead of Longbottom on the bench but to me you either start Longbottom or leave him out.

Agree re: Wagner and Anstee. I heard Pugh did well too.

I very nearly started Kahui as he looked good. I wouldn't be too upset with him starting as he's still class.

Strachan looked good last year so could be a good option. As is McGregor at FB.
It's nice that there are a few players you can leave out of the 23 that would be worth a shot.
No doubt there are some lesser known names that will announce themselves over the next few months.

Exciting times!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a bit hard to compare the starters with those on when the game loosened up. I thought Lance was alright while he was on. Bit disappointed in McIntyre's kicking but other aspects of his play were good. 'Mingo had some good and bad moments. Didn't see much from Kearney. Maybe he had an off day.

Pugh looked good in a few carries and hits on D. I reckon we should mould him into a 6.

Whatever team we pick needs to hold up the scrum and handle the maul. Its a no-brainer, I know, but to do otherwise is gifting the Brumbies points.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
No Thrush? Is he injured?

Thrush had an ankle clean-up pre-Christmas and was in rehab. when I last saw him.
Can't imagine that they'd waste him on a trial game.
Brumbies in 8 days may be something different.

Most of the player group/wider playing group were in Canberra.
Only Ready, Thrush, McCauley, Abra and Harris were missing.

Enjoyed seeing players such as McIntyre, McDonald, Anstee, Winchester, Pulu and the International contingent all get some game time.

Couple of extras given a run in Scott Tolmie (27yo ex Perth Associates Hooker who's been playing with Birmingham Moseley/Coventry) and Sam Offer (24yo ex Nedlands Lock/BRow who's been playing with Carcassonne/Jersey Reds).

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
It's a bit hard to compare the starters with those on when the game loosened up. I thought Lance was alright while he was on. Bit disappointed in McIntyre's kicking but other aspects of his play were good. 'Mingo had some good and bad moments. Didn't see much from Kearney. Maybe he had an off day.

Pugh looked good in a few carries and hits on D. I reckon we should mould him into a 6.

Whatever team we pick needs to hold up the scrum and handle the maul. Its a no-brainer, I know, but to do otherwise is gifting the Brumbies points.

I didn't get the Lance hate after the trial. Particularly in the first 10 mins when the force had consistent ball he controlled the game very well and was putting the ball and receivers into space as well as picking the right runners. Looks to me like he is still a danger with ball in hand too. Not sure why anyone is picking McIntyre ahead of him, he hasn't ever shown anything special at the pro level.... or club level when I used to see him play in QLD.

9. Prior / 21. Cubelli
10. Lance / 22. Miotti
11. Pulu
12. Kahui / 23. Godwin
13.Tevita
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

I would keep the 9/10 combos together as much as possible unless one of them is really standing out individually. Strong backline with probably the best bench 3 in the Oz comp.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure why anyone is picking McIntyre ahead of him, he hasn't ever shown anything special at the pro level.. or club level when I used to see him play in QLD.

Well I think a bit of perspective is needed, his QLD time was 5 years ago In a Reds team in decline, he has had 4 years as a starting flyhalf in the Top 14 since then. I’ve watched him occasionally in France, and he is a far more composed player these days IMO.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Well I think a bit of perspective is needed, his QLD time was 5 years ago In a Reds team in decline, he has had 4 years as a starting flyhalf in the Top 14 since then. I’ve watched him occasionally in France, and he is a far more composed player these days IMO.

I have seen a number of his games when he was in France. When he first went there he looked to be playing better than he was in Qld, which could be due to any number of factors. I haven't seen him continue that trajectory though. Not wishing him any ill will however very surprised many people here have had his starting ahead of both Lance and Miotti. Time will tell I guess. Good to have 3 flyhalves who are all experienced on the books. Actually thinking Force will get the W against the Brumbs. I don't think I've ever said that before. Bodes well!