• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force Exhibition Games

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Thought we should have a match day thread for the Western Force matches this year.

The WF have named their team to take on a world XV coached by Robbie Deans. Played in Perth at 7:30pm local time on Friday 22/03.
WESTERN FORCE
1. Cameron Orr
2. Feleti Kaitu’u
3. Keiran Longbottom
4. Johan Bardoul
5. Jeremy Thrush
6. Henry Stowers
7. Chris Alcock
8. Brynard Stander
9. Ian Prior
10. Andrew Deegan
11. Clay Uyen
12. Henry Taefu
13. Marcel Brache
14. Brad Lacey
15. Jack McGregor
16. Andrew Ready
17. Harrison Lloyd
18. Chris Heiberg
19. Leon Power
20. Tevin Ferris
21. Issak Fines
22. AJ Alatimu
23. Nick Jooste

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good team selection with healthy mix of local talent.
Fantastic to see Keiran Longbottom, Clay Uyen, Brad Lacey, Tevin Ferris and Nick Jooste in the mix.

Also good to see Andrew Ready making his way into the XXXIII after his move to the West.

Expecting big things this year from Andrew Deegan.

Check out the off-season body development on young Jack McGregor - stamping his mark as a ball carrier at F/B.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
World XV lineup:

15. Gio Aplon* (SA)
14. Jamie Spowart (NZ)
13. Dylan Riley (Aus)
12. Inga Finau (NZ)
11. Digby Ioane* (Aus)
10. Kosei Ono* (Jpn)
9. Andy Ellis* (NZ, captain)
8. Leonardo Senatore* (Arg)
7. Hugh Renton (NZ)
6. Michael Oakman-Hunt (Aus)
5. Hamish Dalzell (NZ)
4. Jack Cornelsen (Aus)
3. Shohei Hirano (Jpn)
2. Greg Pleasants-Tate (NZ)
1. Tom Moloney (Aus)

Replacements:
16. Corey Flynn* (NZ)
17. Wyatt Crockett* (NZ)
18. Chris King (NZ)
19. Mike Curry (NZ)
20. Shota Fukui (Jpn)
21. Leon Fukofuka* (Tga)
22. Nick Cummins* (Aus)
23. Yoshikazu Fujita* (Jpn)
24. Kazuki Ishida (Jpn)

* Test capped

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hope the Badge gets on at the same time as Digby and we can have a 2012 Wallabies winger attack.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
First half seemed very artificial. Didn't think anyone was playing for real.

Second half, game came alive.

Badger came on and had some very nice touches.

Replacement half for Force was all class.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the not being able to kick out on the full from your 22m plus 9 point try if run from your 22 makes for more free flowing game and as player said in post match interview a 100m field playing to when in possession down in your 22.

The game was scrappy and Force need to improve their ball retention/ ball control but will be better for their first hit out. Good thing is making it available to wider public by making available on free to air as told my mate who does not have pay tv or kayo subscription but big rugby fan about the game being on SBS viceland and he watched it and now hooked and going to watch all the rapid rugby games (provided continues to be made available on free to air).

I think the competition with the rule changes has potential on seeing what I saw last night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mcgregor very good. He should be in soup
McGregor not bad but not sure he would get a starting gig in Super Rugby oz sides. That is why good to have extra oz professional team like the force to provide more professional pathways as otherwise he would otherwise be sitting in the rebels squad not getting any real game time. Hopefully another oz side in GRR next year again to provide more professional pathways. Baby steps.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thought it was quite scrappy though with good intent. Poor concentration and pushing the pass the main culprits.

This is the 1st hit-out for the WF players since the NRC last year.

Looked much the same of for Round 1 for Super Rugby.

Fans enjoyed the access to the ground/players after the game.

Crowd about ~11,500 - would expect more for the game against Hong Kong next week.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is the 1st hit-out for the WF players since the NRC last year.

Looked much the same of for Round 1 for Super Rugby.

Fans enjoyed the access to the ground/players after the game.

Crowd about ~11,500 - would expect more for the game against Hong Kong next week.

Yes. That's why I said it was scrappy but with good intent. Most of the scrappiness came from giving it a go. If I thought it was poor I would have said it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the not being able to kick out on the full from your 22m plus 9 point try if run from your 22 makes for more free flowing game and as player said in post match interview a 100m field playing to when in possession down in your 22.

The game was scrappy and Force need to improve their ball retention/ ball control but will be better for their first hit out. Good thing is making it available to wider public by making available on free to air as told my mate who does not have pay tv or kayo subscription but big rugby fan about the game being on SBS viceland and he watched it and now hooked and going to watch all the rapid rugby games (provided continues to be made available on free to air).

I think the competition with the rule changes has potential on seeing what I saw last night.

The general pace of play was quite up tempo . Both teams went out to play at real pace. Even when it slowed at times it didn't stagnate. The law changes didn't have any negative effects on the play. Probably actually forced them get more creative and/or accurate on the exit. We saw an example of the 10/22 rule last night. Deegan kicked the ball from his 22m into the W15 22m in what was a cleverly weighted decision ensuring it bounced and then rolled out. It actually kind of worked.

Handling was a bit loose and there were a number of scrums in the game. Would like to see the 30 sec shot clock return on them. But overall, for the first game for the Force for the year and W15 as a squad it was enjoyable to watch. My biggest gripe of the broadcast was the commentary. Or more specifically Gordon Bray. Then man have never changed.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The fan engagement at the end of the match was the best we've seen in Perth for quite a while.

This may look like it was all for the HB but not the case. Plenty of other players between the lens and the horizon.

Capture.PNG

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Handling was a bit loose and there were a number of scrums in the game. Would like to see the 30 sec shot clock return on them.

I think Mr Cooper forgot this component of the GRR new rules.
I hear that Matt Hodgson is responsible for all refereeing in GRR and will personally be critiquing each ref after each game.
Good move as he's co-ordinated all of the rule changes.
I reckon we'll experience fewer scrum resets in future games.
This will result in even more ball-in-play time.