• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force v South China Tigers - HBF Park - 29 March 2019

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
An interesting mix of players for the Hong Kong team in the kick-off for the Asia Showcase.

Capture 4.PNG

Marque players:
MA Chong (China's Nat Rugby Captain), Tom Varndell (England, Leicester, Wasps, Bristol, Scarlets) and Samisoni Viriviri Nasagavesi (Fiji, Fiji 7s, Nadroga, Montpellier).

Capped HK international players:
Alexander Post (Esher, UK), Grant Kemp (Valley), Finley Field (HKCC), James Cunningham (Kowloon) (C), Bryn Phillips (Kowloon), Mathew Rosslee (Valley), Lewis Warner (Kowloon), Callum McFeat Smith (HKFC), Jack Parfitt (HK Scottish) and Michael Parfitt (HK Scottish).

Others:
Tau Koloamatangi (NZ U20, Waikato), Josh Dowsing (Samoa U20, Waikato), Josh Hrstich (Garryowen, HK Tigers), Glyn Hughes, (Birmingham, London Welsh, HKFC), Nathan de Thierry (Co Manakau, HKRC), Mitch Andrews (Melb Rising, HKFC), James Sawyer (Kowloon), Ruan du Plooy (Hautapu, Valley)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Force team named - Ready gets his first starting berth amongst 3 other changes to the run-on side ...

2019-03-27 Force v SCT.jpg

W. Force:

15. Jack McGregor
14. Masivesi Dakuwaqa
13. Henry Taefu*
12. Rodney Iona*
11. Brad Lacey
10. Andrew Deegan
9. Ian Prior
8. Brynard Stander
7. Chris Alcock
6. Henry Stowers
5. Jeremy Thrush*
4. Leon Power
3. Kieran Longbottom
2. Andrew Ready
1. Harrison Lloyd

Replacements:

16. Feleti Kaitu'u
17. Cameron Orr
18. Tom Sheminant
19. Johan Bardoul
20. Tevin Ferris
21. Issak Fines
22. AJ Alatimu*
23. Clay Uyen

<edit> Tom Sheminant is #18

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm picking Force by lots but the lads should not under-estimate the Hong Kong team.

Liking some of the combinations including:
Prior & Deegan (Fines)
Iona & Taefu (Alatimu)
Class starting Back Row with Ferris off the bench.
Good back up front row with plenty of pace.
Clay Uyen as a utility back. Look for his kicking as he's been working hard in the off-season.

Getting excited alReady - with only 2 days to go!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep the Force should win every game of the Asian series by plenty. The test will come with the Pacific leg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
55536478_794567274248020_1394053630167875584_n.jpg

Very entertaining first 35 minutes with Masivesi getting the Western Force's first 9-point try.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Like the speed that some WF can post some try highlights.

Surprising that the Rebels had no room for young Jack McGregor.

Andrew Deegan made a couple of errors but still did a lot of good in the win over the South China Tigers.

https://www.facebook.com/rapidrugby/videos/561974634289177/
FF (Folau Fainga'a) the Rebels signed up McGregor for his potential which you are seeing (and hence you can see why they signed him) but reality was with the roster the Rebels have was not going to get any decent game time for a while, while with Force gets regular footy as starting player. That is the benefit of having more than 4 oz pro sides, as provides more professional pathways and hence ability to retain more top class rugby players etc etc.

On an aside, improvement from the Force, still a little scrappy at times, but they are heading in the right direction. I thought South China Tigers did well given I understand they had only had 5 sessions together as a group prior to this game.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
On an aside, improvement from the Force, still a little scrappy at times, but they are heading in the right direction. I thought South China Tigers did well given I understand they had only had 5 sessions together as a group prior to this game.

I agree re SCT.
Will be good to see how they progress over the next 2 games against the WF and the 3 games against the Asia Pacific Dragons.