• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force vs Crusaders @ NIB Stadium - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Former All Blacks captain Reuben Thorne is set to make a return to professional rugby for the injury-plagued Crusaders.

The Crusaders second row stocks have been decimated as Brad Thorn has been ruled out of the upcoming three-week tour of Perth, Cape Town and Bloemfontein and fellow All Blacks lock Sam Whitelock still recovering from an ankle injury.

With another locking option, Joe Wheeler, who made his debut at number eight against the Highlanders, is also in doubt for the Force match because of a thigh/hip injury, Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder has made an emergency call to his old team-mate.

Thorne has not appeared in Super Rugby since the last of his record 129 matches for the 'Saders back in 2009. After a stint in Japan, the 36-year-old has been coaching at his High School Old Boys' club in Christchurch alongside former team-mate Aaron Mauger and playing the occasion match when the side was short of numbers.

Despite the lack of recent top flight rugby, Blackadder says the Test veteran is keen to help out his former side by making a comeback.

"He was as keen as mustard," Blackadder told The Press.

"He would never let us down and is not the type of guy that would tell us he was ready if he wasn't right.

"He's played at the highest level, he is physically fit. We have no worries there - he is mentally tough, which is exactly probably what we need at the moment."

Thorne is now likely to amongst the replacements when the Crusaders face the Western Force in Perth this weekend as a back up to veteran Chris Jack and rookie Luke Romano in the second row.

A call has yet to be made on Richie McCaw's fitness but it seems likely that Dan Carter will be absent for another two weeks with a hamstring tear.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I had to make sure it wasn't April fools day when I first read this but even the mighty Crusaders are finding it hard to make up the numbers & this in an area that has it's own All Black factory line.

Great chance for the Force to knock them over again especially with Sharpe calling the shots in the lineout.

When is David Pocock & Matt Hodgson back?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I have a lot of respect for Thorn, but they're taking the piss aren't they? There's not another player in Canterbury who could do the job?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
On the Podcast Hodgo said that he is making himself available for selection.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Reuben Thorn "Captain Invisible" such a appropriate name.

Saders within 15 even if Pocock is available imo.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
So with Pocock, Hodgso and Inman fit, we are really only missing Smith.

Great chance to knock over the Saders, who we have a good record against - remember there was that disallowed try to Haig Sare that resulted in a draw as well as the win last year!

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Farva, I'm not too sure that Inman will be able to walk straight back into the 13 spot.

Last week Delitt was having only his second run on game and was quite impressive. He made 11 tackles and was obviously making the most of his chance to cement a spot in the starting 15. I would like to see him given the chance to develope a combo in the centres with JOC (James O'Connor).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought Dellitt was pretty damned good in defence, though his attacking prowess wasn't really on show. I'd only ever seen him play fullback, but he didn't look out of place at outside centre.

R

Richard D. James

Paddy was great. Just goes to show there are 24, 25 year olds out there in club rugby who are capable of playing at Super Rugby standards. Teams seem to value youth sometimes, even when there are hardened, consistent club players who are capable and ready to do the job required.

Super rugby teams need those "journeyman", it can't all be Wallabies and young superstars.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Force have a very good change of knocking them over at home. After the win over the Brutes they'll have a lot of confidense. The Saders dont look that great against a good defensive Highlander team. Not sure but think the Force beat them last time when they visited.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They did indeed Paarl and it was one of the games of the season. We're getting some good guys back and the Cru's list is stretched a bit. Could be a boilover in the offing...

R

Richard D. James

Yep. Force won the game last year. Have knocked the Saders over a couple of times haven't they? Or was one of them a draw?

T

tallboy

Gotta agree guys that Paddy Delit was very solid last week. He looked quite at home defending that difficult outside centre channel and didn't shy away from some solid contact at all. With Inman outta there at years end, it may be a chance to look to the future and see if he and JOC (James O'Connor) can develop a little bit of spark there? The Crusaders field a pretty solid centre pairing so definitely need some strong defenders there. JOC (James O'Connor)'s defense against the Bulls was one of the most pleasing aspects of his game I thought. Was very aggressive and is deceptively strong for a smaller guy.
Obviously a big game for the Force so will be an interesting decision on their side make up.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yep. Force won the game last year. Have knocked the Saders over a couple of times haven't they? Or was one of them a draw?

S14 AUS Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11 Force v Crusaders 24-16
S14 NZL Sat, 14 Mar 2009 5 Force v Crusaders 23-23
S14 AUS Sun, 09 Mar 2008 4 Force v Crusaders 24-29
S14 NZL Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10 Force v Crusaders 0-53
S14 AUS Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11 Force v Crusaders 23-23

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gotta agree guys that Paddy Delit was very solid last week. He looked quite at home defending that difficult outside centre channel and didn't shy away from some solid contact at all. With Inman outta there at years end, it may be a chance to look to the future and see if he and JOC (James O'Connor) can develop a little bit of spark there? The Crusaders field a pretty solid centre pairing so definitely need some strong defenders there. JOC (James O'Connor)'s defense against the Bulls was one of the most pleasing aspects of his game I thought. Was very aggressive and is deceptively strong for a smaller guy.
Obviously a big game for the Force so will be an interesting decision on their side make up.

Agreed. JOC (James O'Connor) put to bed the notion that he can't defend against those big guys and was very secure in the midfield, I thought. It could work out well with a big guy like Dellitt to crash and bash and JOC (James O'Connor) to do the distribution and footwork magic. Assuming that JOC (James O'Connor) stays, that is.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Paddy was great. Just goes to show there are 24, 25 year olds out there in club rugby who are capable of playing at Super Rugby standards. Teams seem to value youth sometimes, even when there are hardened, consistent club players who are capable and ready to do the job required.

Super rugby teams need those "journeyman", it can't all be Wallabies and young superstars.

Yep Spot on Richard,
This has actually become the trend in the AFL now where teams (especially in WA & SA) are drafting players from the SAFL & WAFL at the age of 23-26 who are superstars in those leagues but missed the AFL draft when they were 17-18.

I think it was Fremantle who had drafted a 24 year from the WAFL & he was rating really high in the Brownlow tally until he snapped his leg like Drew Mitchell so it just shows that some players peak or mature a bit later than others.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
This could be 3 in a row for sure. There is no reason why not. And we have been good against the crusaders in the past apart from the 53 nil one. Lol. That was a depressing day.

Go the force!!!!

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
So with Hodgo and Pocock back, what will be the make up of the backrow?

I cant see Wykes being dropped, so its 5 players into 4 spots!

I think Brown will be on the bench - his ability to cover 6, 7 and 8 means he is ideal for the bench.
McCalman to 8, he offers something in the lineout.
Jenkins will probably be the unlucky one to miss out. He has done well but unfortunately he just isnt as good as Pocock, Hodgo, McCalman or Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.