• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force vs Crusaders @ NIB Stadium - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
the only thing i can recall sbw doing this season that was questionable was his hit on kankowski of the sharks. at least he'll front up to people. i'd love for quade to have that much commitment to any tackle. it's going to far to call him cheap or a dog though.

[video=youtube;bEhYDnnPz2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEhYDnnPz2g[/video]

Its not illegal if you hit a Yarpie!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Has anyone seen the sbw brad thorn nonu vids on you tube. The guy makes Thorne look sloppy. I know if you compare him too Lomu he is missing 2 inches and 17 kilo. Could you compare him too stirling in his prime? Stirlo is the same height and only missing 3 kilo.

Go the force!!!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'll start with a whinge & that was Munro letting both SBW & Chicken Wing Flynn both get up & play on after being tackled & still having a hand on them. Probably wouldn't have warranted a mention other than Nick Cummins was penalised for the same offence no less then 20 minutes earlier

Yeah, if there is a driving want for the tackler to release immediately then there must be the complimentary requirement that a tackled player who hits the ground must play the ball.

This getting up and continuing is just going to encourage players to hang on and slow the game down.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The 4 players back to field the kicks might come undone against the wider attacking teams (reds, blues). One or two less defenders in the line will leave a lot of holes if the attack can get the ball wide.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The 4 players back to field the kicks might come undone against the wider attacking teams (reds, blues). One or two less defenders in the line will leave a lot of holes if the attack can get the ball wide.

Very good point mate. Our 2 try's were on the touch line ( as I remember) and we didn't get the ball out wide enough in the match. Does this mean you need a deeper backline too actually get the ball wide? The crusaders are quick of the line in defence.

Go the force!!!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's all about the ball beating the man. Quick, accurate passing to players moving onto the ball, preferably at pace. It can be done with a flat or deep alignment.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep. Too deep is an issue so is too shallow. Ability to long and short pass is the key. Cooper and carter type ball players.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
It's all about the ball beating the man. Quick, accurate passing to players moving onto the ball, preferably at pace. It can be done with a flat or deep alignment.

That's spot on ey. I often see good 10's force players too hit the ball flat and at pace by passing hard and fast in front of them. Make the guys outside you fucking run hard !!!

Go the force!!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The rapid configuration of the Crusaders attacking line: running back before running forward - and especially on turnover ball - is not new. The Auckland team of 2002 and the Blues team of 2003, with many of the same players, did it all the time. Since then the Crusaders have been the standard bearers of the practice in Super rugby, and, as we all know, the All Blacks have been in test rugby.

I bet you that the Crusaders have short, sharp turnover drills every week and as part of it, practice just in time passing, in fact: general passing in front of the man so he can run onto the ball at pace from a position that is behind, and not beside, the passer. It's not rocket science, just good ingrained coaching.

Not to the point but I literally shook my head to see the Tahs backs on Saturday night doing little dolphin like jumps 2 or 3 times in a movement because the ball wasn't received in the right spot.

But given that the Crusaders often ran from deep yet received the ball flat before the tackle line, the Force could have done a lot better defending against them.

For the first try the excellent Guilford ran straight along the tram track line then swerved to his right towards touch. The Force defenders didn't read a standard Crusaders move: attracting a 2 on 1 defence. Sure enough Brown came in to help Smith according to script leaving Maitland open and McCalman exposed if the ball was passed inside at the magic moment - and it was. The breach made, the other Force defenders had to scramble after slow recognition, but the barbarians were well and truly through the gates and Dagg scored.

Inviting two tacklers was the key and I have no doubt that this was practised in Christchurch to the cows came home for yonks before the season started. It will be next year too.

It was a closer move for Dagg's 2nd try, but again, 2 guys went to tackle SBW who passed just in time. Smith should have tackled Dagg, the receiver of the pass, but Cross would have done a better job, had he been available and not double teamed SBW.

IIRR the Brumbies and Reds were sucked in like this too and no doubt so would the Tahs have been if they were playing against a team that used basic back play.

Status
Not open for further replies.