• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force vs Reds, 2011R17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This is a really big one for the Reds. Force are in good form and will get some good players back whereas the Reds really need to win this game to keep their position at the top of the ladder and regain the momentum for the finals. Everyone said before the Brumbies game that this was a danger game for the Reds, especially considering round 1, and it is even more so after last night.

I for one am looking forward to Gill starting and seeing what impact he can make at the breakdown. Although we missed Beau hugely the Reds still have a better forward performance in them than last night and I think if with a better openside we might be able to win this one.

My prediction is either the Force winning a close one or the Reds flogging them.

A Reds side that looks like this would be good:

1. Daley

2. Fainga'a

3. Slipper

4. Simmons

5. Horwill

6. Higginbotham

7. Gill

8. Samo

9. Genia

10. Cooper

11. Morahan

12. Harris/Tapuai (see fullback)

13. Fainga'a

14. Davies

15. Lucas/Harris (injury dependent)

16. Hanson

17. Holmes

18. AWH

19. Schatz

20. Prior

21. Tapuai

22. Shipperley

I know some may suggest resting/dropping some players on last night's performances to give them a wakeup call - but I think they need to keep the best side on the park and give them the chance they deserve to bounce back. I think they'll do it.

R

Rev Spooner

Yep - huge game for us. The nature of such a long season is for teams to fall flat a couple of times. Shame about Ioane - anyone heard how long he's out for? - and I'm not sure Harris is fit to return. I'm sure it will be a very tight match and if our guys play with some of the attitude that has got into the top position, we should come out on top.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would a mod mind editing the thread title so it doesn't appear this game is being played in the distant future? Sorry.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Shame about Ioane - anyone heard how long he's out for? - and I'm not sure Harris is fit to return.

Few of the players tweeted it was a bad concussion so 1-2 Weeks out, which is good considering how bad it looked.

Gill would have to be shitting himself after watching Pocock and Co massacre the Highlanders on Friday. If the Reds can keep that backrow quiet, we will win comfortably.

Will be interesting to see if the Force keep Swanepoel and Stannard in the starting side

R

Rev Spooner

Not all of us were throwing tantrums but I understand your point of view.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Did Rod Davies run the water last night for the Reds? Is he due back this week? And Harris?

Chambers did some good things last night. Link will have to make a call on whether it's him or Shipperley to drop out if the other 2 guys are fit to come back in.

While I was heading up Caxton St before the match last night, Peter Hynes was going the other way so I quickly asked him how the knee was. He said it was "coming along" and he "wasn't too far away" but he also still has quite a noticeable limp.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
With Ant out for a month I reckon we will see Harris at 12 and Chambers in 13. Can't see Taps getting a run at 13 again, he looked very ordinary there earlier in the year.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The tantrums following last nights loss to the Brumbies by Reds' fans was embarassing, so I hope the Force smash them...

Unfortunately it's spread throughout the internet...

Yes Slim, because people keep making comments designed to get a response. If you've got something of value to contribute to this thread, then by all means jump in, with comments about injuries, game plans etc. If you're just here trolling, as your comments above indicate, then take it to another thread.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not trolling.

I'm simply stating my support for the Force to get up in this game as I was left disgusted by the response of many Reds' fans last night.

If the Force's backrow muscle up and frustrate the Reds at the breakdown they could come away with this one.

Stannard is looking good at flyhalf too. Hopefully JOC (James O'Connor) will be back as that will make for an interesting combo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Reds are in trouble with Harris unlikely to play next week, and Digby out for at least two weeks.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
With Ant and Lucas out, Reds are really going to struggle. Their whole defensive structure is set around these two. If they can get up here it'll be a massive boost, but geez they'd be feeling down today after the loss and news of these injuries. Can't see Harris or Hynes being back either. I'll still be cheering them on, but it'll be tough on em.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No Digby, Fainga'a, Harris, Lucas, Hynes and Davies.

Geez...

Their backline is having the same issues the Brumbies' forwards are having.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Right from the start you could see that the reds did not show up for the brumbies game. After the massive build up for the saders, who could blame them. They also look embarrassed after the game. Kev in the media conference looked really sheepish. Ewan looked like a peice of granite. Don't think there will be the an enthusiasm problem next weekend.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Massive game for the Reds if Graham goes with Swanepeol, Stannard & JOC (James O'Connor) I'm going to be very worried as they finally look dangerous out wide as well as having a brilliant backrow.

Link should go big in the backrow & play Shatz, Higgers & Samo. Don't try & fight fire with fire the Reds should revert to the gameplan which got us home against the Stormers. Kick for field position & then play Rugby inside thier 40 metre zone.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how the force line up, with few back (I assume JOC (James O'Connor) & Shepherd will start) Stannard at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 is a damn interesting set up

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Reds are in trouble with Harris unlikely to play next week, and Digby out for at least two weeks.

That will make life very difficult then, can see a centre pairing of Taps at 12, Chambers at 13. Prime stuff for the pointy end of the season. For some reason I thought Harris was back this week.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is what I'm thinking for the Reds 22 next week.
1. Holmes
2. Hanson
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Schatz
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Toua
12. Tapuai
13. Chambers
14. Situati
15. Morahan

16. Fainga'a 17. Daley 18. AWH 19. Van Humphries 20.Coridas 21.Gill 22.Prior

If Rod Davies is fit then he would walk straight back in otherwise Gill & Prior will have to cover the backs.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
This is what I'm thinking for the Reds 22 next week.
1. Holmes
2. Hanson
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Schatz
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Toua
12. Tapuai
13. Chambers
14. Situati
15. Morahan

16. Fainga'a 17. Daley 18. AWH 19. Van Humphries 20.Coridas 21.Gill 22.Prior

If Rod Davies is fit then he would walk straight back in otherwise Gill & Prior will have to cover the backs.

You realise Toua is out for the season, Sitauti is in Italy for the U20's and why on earth would they have 6 forwards on the bench? You didnt even include shipperley?

Won't be suprised to see some academy players getting a run this week.

Daley,Fainga'a,Slipper,Simmons,Higgers,Gill,Samo,Genia,Cooper,Shipperley,Tapuai,Chambers, Davies(if fit), Morahan
Thes

Status
Not open for further replies.