• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought the idea of the NRC was to give Aust players a shot at the next level
Why are there 4 Fijian players?

We all get around how great the NPC in New Zealand is. Why do you think their league is so good?

One of the many reasons is it has the crème de la crème of players developed in the Islands. A lot of them go on to play Super Rugby and plenty go on to the All Blacks, and the ones that don't often pick up a test cap and head off to Europe. Win-win.

NDale

Bob McCowan (2)
Jagman did you watch Southern Districts this year? Saifoloi was playing 12 for most of the season until Mitch Walton was injured. He is a gun and the man you will likely see wearing the 10 jersey.

This competition isn't about having tonnes of guns and only guns, its about creating depth, something that comes over time when your Shute players play against and along side Super Rugby players and other professional players.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Hi NDale. Thanks for the heads up about Walton. There was one TV game that I think he was in but after he got injured I forgot about him. Good to know he's a gun and I'm looking forward to seeing him play now, even though the Rams, on paper at least, should get trampled this season. I hope they don't.

T

TOCC

Meh, it's about time Australian Rugby gave something back to Fiji.. These guys will help boost the standard of the competition, a positive for developing talent.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I actually believe NSW can support 4 teams but your point is right a whole heap of Eastwood and other players have formed into that Country side when they should be playing for the Rams.

Basically the administration is a shambles at the Rams because Parramatta want to get there fingers all over it and have been complaining over the last few seasons. Hardly the best record of administration at Parramatta.

Muggleton was assistant at Parramatta this season. They need a positive Eastwood desperately.

NSW would have easily developed the talent over the next few years to have 4 reasonably functional NRC sides.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to admit fielding the fiji players sounds smart move as big Fijian community out west who I suspect will now be keen to support and attend Rams home games. I like it. Plus what is not to like watching fijian flair unleashed with the emphasis on attacking rugby and tries with NRC points system.

Might add this is the sort of innovative thinking we need to ignite interest in NRC and rugby generally by involving 4 fijians. First class effort for trying something different Rams. Hope it proves very successful for them as at least they are trying something different to generate more interest in Rams/NRC etc.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Might add this is the sort of innovative thinking we need to ignite interest in NRC and rugby generally by involving 4 fijians. First class effort for trying something different Rams. Hope it proves very successful for them as at least they are trying something different to generate more interest in Rams/NRC etc.

They are also running a state championships of sorts for the different Island communities as part of their game days. Teams representing Fiji, Tonga and Samoa as well as a NSW Maori side. NSW Tonga will even play an ACT Tonga team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They are also running a state championships of sorts for the different Island communities as part of their game days. Teams representing Fiji, Tonga and Samoa as well as a NSW Maori side. NSW Tonga will even play an ACT Tonga team.

Brilliant - now if they could just update the draw on their website so shows 2016 fixtures instead of last years 2015 draw that would be good.

Sounds like some great thinking gone on....very clever and way to get back to winning over pacific islanders out west who have gone to league etc.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I hope that they really tap into the Fijian community - get them singing/drumming at games etc, helps create the atmosphere and get those communities really aligned to the Rams. It could be a real positive for them and if the players raise the bar for the rest of the players involved then it is good all round, because these comps are meant to give players a high bar to aim for.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
This Rams team does look a bit bare, but if the worst thing to come out of this is Muggo getting to show his skills (he's a classy coach), a Fijian or two gets a contract (hopefully in Aus but maybe elsewhere), and a dark horse or two emerges and gets signed in Aus, then I call it a win.

Personally, I think the model going forward to make sure this doesn't happen again is the Tahs manage Rams/Rays (the Reds have shown a Super rugby side can manage 2 sides well) and the Eagles get managed by a board made up of a NSW Cockatoos rep, a Rebels rep, a Force rep, a Brumbies Rep, and a Tahs rep, this functioning as the only truly independent team but having their fingers in a lot of pies (in a good way).

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
This Rams team does look a bit bare, but if the worst thing to come out of this is Muggo getting to show his skills (he's a classy coach), a Fijian or two gets a contract (hopefully in Aus but maybe elsewhere), and a dark horse or two emerges and gets signed in Aus, then I call it a win.

Personally, I think the model going forward to make sure this doesn't happen again is the Tahs manage Rams/Rays (the Reds have shown a Super rugby side can manage 2 sides well) and the Eagles get managed by a board made up of a NSW Cockatoos rep, a Rebels rep, a Force rep, a Brumbies Rep, and a Tahs rep, this functioning as the only truly independent team but having their fingers in a lot of pies (in a good way).

couldn't agree more. Think the team selections also involve some parochialism (for all the right reasons) which results in players fom the stronger clubs missing an NRC gig.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
The fact that Eastwood is broke and hence did not provide funding to the RAMS has meant that in the last two years the RAMS have had little interest in the Eastwood players - despite them being Shute Shield Premiers in 2014 and 2015. This has been reflected in the RAMS poor results.

As identified on the RAMS website, Coaches will select "players from our equity stakeholder club’s first: Penrith, Parramatta, Southern Districts and West Harbour."

It is also stated on the RAMS website that "With Macquarie Uni the RAYS major sponsor, it probably makes more sense for Eastwood (down the road) to join the RAYS -should they ever chose to formally embrace NRC"

Those Eastwood players that the RAMS did show interest in last year were unhappy with their treatment and swore never to play for the RAMS again.

The RAMS made a very late approach to some Eastwood players. However, it was evident to those Eastwood players that many of the players that the RAMS were saying would be playing for the RAMS, had already signed overseas or with other NRC teams - including the person they were touting as captain of the RAMS side.

Muggleton openly sledging Eastwood players during games against parra this year, probably also didn't help in enticing woods players.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Basically the administration is a shambles at the Rams because Parramatta want to get there fingers all over it and have been complaining over the last few seasons.
Absolute rubbish. Parramatta are a supporter of the Rams franchise but have no intention of nor have ever attempted 'getting our fingers all over it'.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Ed Craig does not get a start with someone I will be mightily pissed off. He is a great young prospect.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
According to a brief Q&A via their fb page tickets to Rams games will be $20 for adults while kids under 16 are free and if I read it correctly so are kids in High School providing they show their School ID. Not too bad.